Singapore Skyline

wxzhuo

Oct 31, 2010
Singapore
xlightphotography.com
pano21.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I've always been a "daylight" photographer, night shots are still "a little new" to me.
So, is the exposure right? Is the composition alright? (1/3 river, 2/3 skyline)

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
There are so many different angles to the Singaporean skyline, but all I see from other photographers are the MBS, Helix, SG Flyer.
This one is taken from the MBS instead. Hopefully to "prove" that photography is not limited to "hotspots" only. :bsmilie:

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken?
8pm, after the rain. Rather overcast, cool, wet. Typical Singapore...
Taken with Nikon D700, Tamron 28-75. f10, 8secs @ ISO 200. Stitched 5 shots wide panorama.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Composition seems a bit lop-sided. Too many buildings to the left, and only skies and clouds to the right.
Good, or bad?

Last edited:
Er, this is not an uncommon view, just to highlight. Loads of photographers have taken this view, not sure where you have been shacked up at to think that this is new..

Composition's fine. I might consider cropping off that sliver of building on the left though. One point to take note is that your buildings ARE balanced out by the clouds on the right. Without the clouds, I would agree that this view might end up feeling left heavy.

I'm thinking that you could probably improve this by taking the image at an earlier timing to have a brighter sky. You can try to brighten up the sky in Photoshop - either lifting the shadows would help, or you can try using Layers --> Screen.

Er, this is not an uncommon view, just to highlight. Loads of photographers have taken this view, not sure where you have been shacked up at to think that this is new..

Composition's fine. I might consider cropping off that sliver of building on the left though. One point to take note is that your buildings ARE balanced out by the clouds on the right. Without the clouds, I would agree that this view might end up feeling left heavy.

I'm thinking that you could probably improve this by taking the image at an earlier timing to have a brighter sky. You can try to brighten up the sky in Photoshop - either lifting the shadows would help, or you can try using Layers --> Screen.

Oh noes. Not so bad la, a search of Singapore on Google show Bug Eyes, Fullerton, Merlion, MBS, SG Flyer and Sir Stamford Raffles. This has not been "take until rotten"... yet.
Agree that the clouds are actually balancing out the composition. On second thoughts, the "lead-in" path to the left is adding more "weight" to the left as well.

Sadly, even if I went earlier, it will be raining + storm clouds. The only composition I think I will take then is 2/3 sky, 1/3 land. Slightly longer exposure to add more drama to the storm clouds...
Typical Singapore weather, what to do?
Typical Singapore working life, Friday still have to work until 7+, what to do? :bsmilie:

Thanks for viewing!

Sadly, even if I went earlier, it will be raining + storm clouds. The only composition I think I will take then is 2/3 sky, 1/3 land. Slightly longer exposure to add more drama to the storm clouds...
Typical Singapore weather, what to do?
Typical Singapore working life, Friday still have to work until 7+, what to do? :bsmilie:

Thanks for viewing!

Go again, on a weekend.

Sometimes to get what you want, it is not just wham, bham, thank you mam... You have to revisit the location until you are happy. At least that's what I do. Cheers.