Singapore Skyline

Status
Not open for further replies.

strobby

Jun 25, 2008
www.flickr.com
This pic may have been beaten to death ...hahha , but here is my try .

Did some night shooting recently , have been wanting to try a slightly longer exposure than i usually do last time , so i put on my CPL and wait for the sky to go dark rather than shooting at the golden timing to get the blue sky .

Wanted to get the effect of solid concrete jungle vs a soft silky river

The below pic is shoot at

f/22
ISO 100
Shutter speed 10 min

C&C on pic colour tone , effect , overall pic feel , etc is most welcome ;)

2f.jpg

C&C on pic colour tone , effect , overall pic feel , etc is most welcome ;)

To answer you concisely,

1. The colour for the sky works for me.
2. Effect of what, the silky water against the buildings? I'll say, okay, reflections, good.
3. I feel nothing out of this skyline already, sad to say.
4. The shutter speed is definitely too slow. I see lights screaming at me, just look at those emitting from the windows, boards, and lamp posts around. The lights at the small shops on the bottom right are definitely blown. Boom.

Thanks for the comment

I agree it look kinda overblown at some part u mention ...guess i wanted to have a silky water feel and opt for a longer exposure and therefore sacrifice for somepart overblown ...been thinking maybe a GND may help to reduce the overblown in the building and getting a silky water finish , wat u guys think.

Anyway ...try to PP the overblown guess this is the best my PP skill can get me

2fc.jpg

Last edited:
The 2nd attempt made it worse. Its just like concealing a mistake, in a very bad manner. If you are using PS, try using shadow/highlight function to tone down the overexposed areas.

You really don't need 10 mins to get that smooth water effect, especially so when its shot at night where there are ample water movement since the boats are still running. Its just overkill and some hot pixels are showing if I'm correct. The long shutter speed actually diluted the effects of the light trails from the passing boats, which could have added more interests to the foreground instead of just "white washed" water.

The building verticals are almost straight, almost. There is a slight tilt towards the left. More space given above the building would be better to balance up the composition, which is a little tight at the moment. Overall, not a bad attempt.

just adding to what had been said here, the bank of china building and the one to the right are toppling and the brown building seems to be stretched.

TS, what time did you take this shot? If you intended to have a nice deep blue background with the lights well exposed and the smooth water effect, you should shoot at 6.30-7.15pm (sunset). I believe that you took this after the sun has gone down.

And yes, the buildings on the left looks tilted and stretched. Must be the effect of using the wideangle. Becareful when you compose next time, if not apply correction filter using software. Cause the pic gives me a wobbly feeling.

Wat im missing would be the depth of field...

I think it may be better to open up the aperture to between f/11 and f/16...

I also doubt a CPL would work as a CPL with no sunlight... The CPL is acting as a ND filter instead, and cutting down the light to your sensor; thus the very slow shutter speed...

Status
Not open for further replies.