Singapore Rugby 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
when is it? any entrance fee? do we have access into the stadium ground floor?

vthian said:
Any one going for this Singapore Rugby 7 next weekend....see you guys there :)

If you are going for the Rugby Sevens at the National Stadium there is a 15% discount. Please read below.

Standard Chartered Credit Card promotion

Use your Standard Chartered or Manhattan Credit Cards to book your tickets to the Standard Chartered Sevens Singapore and enjoy a 15% discount. Exclusively for all Standard Chartered and Manhattan Singapore credit cardholders only.

http://www.standardchartered.com.sg/cb/credit_card/seven/seven.html

I suppose spectators are not allowed to go near the field? That means the nearest is the Grand Stand (which is pricey). What focal length is need to to get close up shots if shooting from the Grand Stand?

Grand stand seat $121, Gallery seat $66. With SCB credit card got 15%, Oh no too expensive to shoot such an event...also got no big big mama lens ... :cry:

I wish i am below 12 years old ... :D

vthian, are you going as a sports photog or as a spectator? Would love to see your photos if you've got a press pass.

Actually, the tickets are free seating within the price range. So a $66 gallery seat directly opposite the grandstand will be the same distance to the pitch as the grandstand seats.

Just that you have to come early to line up and "chope" a good seat. And if it rains and you're seating in the gallery... no shelter. Then again, rain can sometimes come in weird directions, so the people under the shade in the grandstand may not be entirely safe either! ;P

Whatever the case is, you'll be relatively far from the action to take photos. There's generally no access to the pitch level. Unless you win one of the competitions for spectators they will run during the tournament. Then you'll be able to be at pitch level AND have free flow of beer.

Hmmm... still, if you're interested in taking photos, the spectators will be really colourful. There's also plenty of entertainment lined up. And of course, there'll be world-class rugby!

Hmm... S$121 and S$66... wow that's expensive. Not quite up to an International 15s game, but far more expensive than watching a Prem game which is where the vast majority of these players come from. Wonder what kind of a crowd they'll get... that's not a cynical question, I really want to know.

Well, expensive is relative. Comparing the price of a test match to sevens is not exactly a fair gauge. I was going to compare the Sevens prices to RWC 2003 prices when it occurred to me that pricing two days worth of many short 7s games is totally different from pricing an 80-minute 15s game.

There are no true international sports series held annually in Singapore to compare with either. Of course, there's the SCC 7s, which is totally free... but that's another story... ;)

The crowd? Well, I wasn't around the first time they held the Sevens in Singapore so I can't comment on that. But I would assume plenty of expats would be interested...

Jed said:
Hmm... S$121 and S$66... wow that's expensive. Not quite up to an International 15s game, but far more expensive than watching a Prem game which is where the vast majority of these players come from. Wonder what kind of a crowd they'll get... that's not a cynical question, I really want to know.

acroamatic said:
vthian, are you going as a sports photog or as a spectator? Would love to see your photos if you've got a press pass.

Actually, the tickets are free seating within the price range. So a $66 gallery seat directly opposite the grandstand will be the same distance to the pitch as the grandstand seats.

Just that you have to come early to line up and "chope" a good seat. And if it rains and you're seating in the gallery... no shelter. Then again, rain can sometimes come in weird directions, so the people under the shade in the grandstand may not be entirely safe either! ;P

Whatever the case is, you'll be relatively far from the action to take photos. There's generally no access to the pitch level. Unless you win one of the competitions for spectators they will run during the tournament. Then you'll be able to be at pitch level AND have free flow of beer.

Hmmm... still, if you're interested in taking photos, the spectators will be really colourful. There's also plenty of entertainment lined up. And of course, there'll be world-class rugby!

Hi,acroamatic..yup..I'll be there to cover the Rugby 7 since our singapore photog still on assignment, will come in tomorrow for World Cup soccer preliminary Singapore-Japan on Wednesday then stay on for this weekend Rugby 7, already got the press pass thru Singapore Bureau.

As for distance...I've seen Hong Kong Rugby 7 stadium, guess singapore National Stadium is smaller then Hong Kong or Malaysia stadium, but will still need something like 300 / 400 Tele lens to make a nice image.

As I know one of the member Oeyvind will be there too...any more?

Regards

Vincent Thian
www.pbase.com/vthian

Jed said:

oH YES, the price is for two days on 3 and 4 march to the national stadium. Probably from morning 11am till 9pm, wow long hours of excitment! :bigeyes:

Cool... I'll be at the Sevens, but as a volunteer support staff. Not sure I want to leave my camera lying around while I'm on duty! Will bring my digicam though, just for a few fun "behind-the-scenes" and crowd shots. Don't think I'm going to be able to capture any of the action with it.

vthian said:
Hi,acroamatic..yup..I'll be there to cover the Rugby 7 since our singapore photog still on assignment, will come in tomorrow for World Cup soccer preliminary Singapore-Japan on Wednesday then stay on for this weekend Rugby 7, already got the press pass thru Singapore Bureau.

As I know one of the member Oeyvind will be there too...any more?

Regards

Vincent Thian
www.pbase.com/vthian

acroamatic said:
Unless you win one of the competitions for spectators they will run during the tournament. Then you'll be able to be at pitch level AND have free flow of beer.

just make sure when you shoot and drink.... you're shooting at the action! :D

vthian, hope to see some of your shots. what lenses are you using for the event?

Knight Ong, up to 9pm? wonder how's the lighting gonna be at that time, i never got into the stadium to shoot sports before... :cry:

sehsuan said:
just make sure when you shoot and drink.... you're shooting at the action! :D

vthian, hope to see some of your shots. what lenses are you using for the event?

Knight Ong, up to 9pm? wonder how's the lighting gonna be at that time, i never got into the stadium to shoot sports before... :cry:

The last actions start at 8pm and by 8:30pm, show would have finished and call it a day. Believed the stadium lights may not be good enough to catch the actions at night, so shoot more during the day lor.

Dun think will go, unless can find big mama lens and paid the ticket price, a bit too expensive :cry:

sehsuan said:

Will bring my new EF400f2.8L IS, this going to be my second assignment for this lens after my old EF400f2.8L being using since 1996. ST photog's told me the ligth is very poor at night :confused: hope f2.8 will help.

Will upload some picture if not too busy during weekend.

would you happen to be selling your old 400mm? I know someone looking for one? hehe.

Vincent, nice photos of the Singapore-Japan match! Looking forward to your rugby photos.

Took my chance to pop by the Padang late morning today. It was empty but the weather was superb, so I took a few CBD skyline shots. When I turned around, the New Zealand team were on the Padang! Took a few photos and will post them when I have the time.

I think the Padang today and tomorrow will be good opportunities to catch the rugby teams up close and personal. They also don't seem to mind photographers, as long as you don't get in the way of their training. It's the heat that really bothers them!

From what I read in ST, I know England trains at the Padang. Probably most of the teams do. Also, I saw the New Zealand team heading back to the Swissotel. Caught a glimpse of a few of the USA team members around there too.

So guys, if you are free today or tomorroow, and don't want to pay for the tickets for the tournament or don't have a super-duper zoom lens, try your luck at the Padang...

acroamatic said:
Vincent, nice photos of the Singapore-Japan match! Looking forward to your rugby photos.

Took my chance to pop by the Padang late morning today. It was empty but the weather was superb, so I took a few CBD skyline shots. When I turned around, the New Zealand team were on the Padang! Took a few photos and will post them when I have the time.

I think the Padang today and tomorrow will be good opportunities to catch the rugby teams up close and personal. They also don't seem to mind photographers, as long as you don't get in the way of their training. It's the heat that really bothers them!

From what I read in ST, I know England trains at the Padang. Probably most of the teams do. Also, I saw the New Zealand team heading back to the Swissotel. Caught a glimpse of a few of the USA team members around there too.

So guys, if you are free today or tomorroow, and don't want to pay for the tickets for the tournament or don't have a super-duper zoom lens, try your luck at the Padang...

Should be there sometime Friday afternoon.

Some pics that i took at 7's

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ka...rodid=&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/kaipheng

Took from the gallery sitting area. Pics that i have posted at the link have mostly been taken on the first day. Second day was a total hash, sun was in hiding most of day and rain poured from skies when the best teams were playing. Well it was made up by an excellent Cup finals where the Argentinians were pushing the South Africans all the way to the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.