Singapore not a good model for developing countries

Thx God.... and please don't follow us... or your nation would end up with a whole brunch of people who will complain day and night about EVERYTHING... please please don't use us as any role model.... thx you.

I think Myanmar is a good model for Singapore. First they have many generals ruling the country, then they have a hero in Aung San Suu Kyi. Now we need a hero too. Sylvia Lim? Nicole Seah? Lina Chiam?

It's the shame, to foreigners spore is their new Switzerland, it's a safe place to raise ur child, good place to work, easy place to do business and the best part is the cheap and useful international passport, there are many more I could go on, and seriously, I won't bite the finger that feed me and I would definitely not say a bad thing about my government despite there are room for improvement.

fromthirdworldtofirst.jpg

.. happens to be available in Burmese titled "Thettaya Kabar Hma Padama Kabar Tho".

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

i agree with this part :

“Singapore is not a good development model and not one a developing country should follow. Singapore has basically conned the world about its nation-building achievement,” said King. “It is frightening that they should regard Singapore as a good model to follow.”

Years of robust growth in Singapore were driven initially by waves of foreign capital into the city-state and more recently by the import of foreign workers, who now make up one-third of the population. The government’s jealous husbanding of much of the economy, meanwhile, has rendered impotent much of the nation’s faculty for creative business.

“Its entrepreneurial, innovative capacity is quite small. It’s got a very small local private sector, unlike say South Korea and Taiwan, where there are vigorous entrepreneurial cultures. In Singapore, they don’t really have that,” said King, who spent many years working in the island-state.

the authors quoted are basing their "research" on interviews with people who complain about everything.

and once again, why are we trying to emulate the western style of governance? Professor Lim has a point, but the authors are using their own country's standard to judge us.

i agree with this part :

“Singapore is not a good development model and not one a developing country should follow. Singapore has basically conned the world about its nation-building achievement,” said King. “It is frightening that they should regard Singapore as a good model to follow.”

Years of robust growth in Singapore were driven initially by waves of foreign capital into the city-state and more recently by the import of foreign workers, who now make up one-third of the population. The government’s jealous husbanding of much of the economy, meanwhile, has rendered impotent much of the nation’s faculty for creative business.

“Its entrepreneurial, innovative capacity is quite small. It’s got a very small local private sector, unlike say South Korea and Taiwan, where there are vigorous entrepreneurial cultures. In Singapore, they don’t really have that,” said King, who spent many years working in the island-state.

Not sure about Taiwan but in South Korea... if Samsung dies, South Korea dies. It is that big.

Not sure about Taiwan but in South Korea... if Samsung dies, South Korea dies. It is that big.

he talking about digital hub/silicon valley in taiwan: asus, gigbyte , those PC and components manufacturer . taiwan made textile only many many donkey years ago...then those youngsters go oversea study, go back to taiwan and become entrepreneurial and innovate, their own people, they dont depand on FT. coz government fully support them..provide funding and support..

Last edited:

but its still their country's company in a way no?

and look at creative. struggling like a fish out of water. die liao, also sg dont die.

Thx God.... and please don't follow us... or your nation would end up with a whole brunch of people who will complain day and night about EVERYTHING... please please don't use us as any role model.... thx you.

i think this is an overstatement. don't mind me, but we all only complain leh. we only grumble on blogs, bitch on forums.

wait till you see the occupy movement, the rioting etc. now that, is something you don't want to have.
i will happily give complain, than a protest movement that grounds your nation to a halt.

everyone, everywhere also got complain. find me a nation full of people that never worries about anything and never complains.

Last edited:
The Assam Tribune Online

Bhutan is another model, but Khaw Boon Wan already declare this model no good and saying "most of the time I saw unhappy people." and "Singapore could well be their Shangrila."
Khaw Boon Wan said Bhutan people are mostly unhappy unlike Singapore - 19Oct2011 - YouTube

On the Happy Planet Index, Bhutan is number 17 and Singapore 49 (improved from 131 in 2006).

Happy Planet Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Burma is ahead of Singapore at 39 despite their military dictatorship.

But Mr Khaw could be right is you look at the UNDP Human Development Index. (Singapore 26 Bhutan 141 Myanmar 149)
Indices & Data | Human Development Reports (HDR) | United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)

So we should be happier than we feel. Finally, I think that Singapore is a good model and there should be a Lee Kuan Yew and Low Thia Khiang in every country implementing this model.

We already have a hero.

He is Yaw Shin Leong.

haha

[video=youtube;F1FPK5-Rm38]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1FPK5-Rm38&feature=fvsr[/video]

That guy Rodney King talk a lot of crock like these

To be sure, Singapore’s founding myth as a mosquito-infested swamp of palm plantations and kampong dwellers in 1965 is a compelling one for underdeveloped countries like Myanmar eager to learn the secrets of rapid enrichment.

Nothing could be further from the truth, however. In 1965, Singapore was one of the most developed cities in Asia in terms of industrial development, living standards and literacy of the population, argues King
Unquote

“This has been a country of frightened, intimidated people. In the 1950s and ’60s, Singaporeans were feisty, gung-ho people but Lee and co killed their spirit,” said King.
Unquote

If I wasnt living in Singapore then, I might have believed him. We just became an independent republic in '65 & have nothing much then. He has not seen the thugs & gangsters infested island that needed Section 55 of the CPC to control & eliminate, the kampong farmlands & swamplands that was tampines, jurong, toa payoh, etc that was developed into what they are today. We ourselves are more aware of our own shortcomings & the need to change & improve to progress. But frightened intimidated people??? This self appointed armchair know it all critic dont know what he is talking about & mixing many myths with realities, like in his book. Yes, Mynammar should not follow us, & we dont need to be the model for anyone, perhaps they should follow the wise opinions from some white trash down under.

As least we have the time & opportunity to complain :) In some countries, the suffering are silent, with no voice to speak up for them, where corruption is rife & power is determined by the gun.

Last edited:
If I wasnt living in Singapore then, I might have believed him. He has not seen the thugs & gangsters infested island that needed Section 55 of the CPC to control & eliminated, the farmlands & swamplands that was tampines, jurong, toa payoh, etc that was developed into what they are today. These arrmchair self appointed critics sucks imo.

not true. check out another book by bilveer singh. written by a singaporean prof.

we have inherited (whether you realised it or not), the whole british administration for public services. this includes a strong entrepot, stable efficient and reliable public service system, along with foreign missions that were located in sg which paved the path for foreign diplomatic relations.

we really didn't start from ground 0. a lot much better off. thugs gangsters everywhere have. even until now also have.

not true. check out another book by bilveer singh. written by a singaporean prof.

we have inherited (whether you realised it or not), the whole british administration for public services. this includes a strong entrepot, stable efficient and reliable public service system, along with foreign missions that were located in sg which paved the path for foreign diplomatic relations.

we really didn't start from ground 0. a lot much better off. thugs gangsters everywhere have. even until now also have.

Well you should look at Malaysia. Inherited the same strong British governance but where is it today?

I dont know about this "model" thingy, perhaps you can quote us a good one we can or should follow. Or we adopt the best practices from all over the world & forge our own identities & goals as we do.... And not forgetting our size & resources are limited & not the same, even as compared to our immediate neighbour up north.

i agree with this part :

Last edited:
Well you should look at Malaysia. Inherited the same strong British governance but where is it today?
since when was malaysia under the same strong british governance? sg was the entrepot, not whole of malaya as far as i remember.

only these few was under british administration.
Straits Settlements - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sg was the port, not penang, not malacca.

as much as NE likes to tell us we have no resources and always be wary, it is good to know the actual roots. we all didn't start from rock bottom. in fact, we had a very big headstart.

Last edited: