Singapore in Pixels

Status
Not open for further replies.

J2meePok

Jul 10, 2008
www.flickr.com
Take part in our year-long Singapore in Pixels Photo Contest 2009
and you may win amazing Nikon digital cameras worth up to SGD2,999.
We’ll feature a unique theme that makes up the story of Singapore.

Episode 1 : "Contrast" [ Episode 1 ends 10 April 2009. ] Shortlisted had released.
Episode 2 : "Singapore Night Out " [Submission end 31 July 2009 ]

Simply show us the contrasting elements(colours, objects & subjects) and personality of Singapore through your lens.

Hurry! Episode 1 ends 10 April 2009.

1st prize: Nikon D300 ( one winner )
2nd prize: Nikon D90 ( one winner )
3rd prize: Nikon D60 ( two winners )
Merit prize: Nikon Coolpix S610 ( four winners )

source: http://www.visitsingapore.com/pixels/

--------------
Im not part of the organiser or staff. Just a passerby who notice the news.
Those who wish to debate and otot, please go to kopitiam at this thread:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485962

Thanks;)

Last edited:
at the risk of sounding stupid , do we have to take part in all four chapters to win a prize or are the prizes awarded for each chapter?

at the risk of sounding stupid , do we have to take part in all four chapters to win a prize or are the prizes awarded for each chapter?

not sure about that. but i'd highlight the rules #18 to all who intend to participate. so decide carefully before you have the fun.

"The entire right, title and interest (including intellectual property rights) in and to your entry (whether or not prize winning) and all materials submitted with your entry, and in and to all works based upon, derived from, or incorporating your entry or any part thereof shall vest exclusively in STB, its successors and assigns. You shall do all things and sign and execute all documents as STB may reasonably require to perfect, protect or enforce any intellectual property rights assigned to STB under this Agreement. STB shall be entitled, without further reference to you, to exercise all intellectual property rights in your entry, including the use, adaptation, modification, reproduction, translation, exhibition, publication, display and archival of your entry or any part thereof in any context and with or without other material, in any medium now known or hereafter devised, whether or not for profit, for the full period of protection arising pursuant to the laws in force in any part of the world including all renewals reversions and extensions and to authorise others to do the same. In no event shall STB be required to use any entry, whether in whole or in part."

to MOD: i hereby just to highlight some concerns(such as loosing of one's copyright whether the person who won a prize or not) in case someone just came in and has not read the previous postings. thank you.

Hi PEEPS!,

Check this out, I guess STB heard your screams!

http://visitsingapore.com/pixels/contest/register_desktop.jsp

"STB is a big fan of copyright. We respect yours and reserve our own. You retain all rights to your work. By submitting your work here, you grant STB the rights to do the following: put it on the web, on print, and use it in our promotions. We thank our participants for the awesome photos submitted here. " :sweatsm:

Cheers!

Hi PEEPS!,

"STB is a big fan of copyright. We respect yours and reserve our own. You retain all rights to your work. By submitting your work here, you grant STB the rights to do the following: put it on the web, on print, and use it in our promotions. We thank our participants for the awesome photos submitted here. " :sweatsm:

Cheers!

make sure everyone read the terms and condition first.:sweat:

so i guess thats one prize?

Hi PEEPS!,

Cheers!

Pardon me for blowing my trumpet, but the above statement from STB is a direct result of my email correspondence with them pointing out the copyright issues. In fact, the wording is almost exactly the same words that I "copied" from JPG Magazine and emailed to them as an example of respect for copyright.

Even though the terms and conditions remain unchanged - perhaps they might change them later - at least the statement on the cover page clarifies the position that they now profess to take.

To all those sceptics and cynics who kept saying (in the previous thread and when the thread was moved to "kopitiam") that "This IS Singapore" / no point to complain / this has always been the way contests are run and will continue to be that way / we should just submit our worthless entries / not happy don't take part / blah blah blah....

I now say to you: NYEAH!

Last edited:
Pardon me for blowing my trumpet, but the above statement from STB is a direct result of my email correspondence with them pointing out the copyright issues. In fact, the wording is almost exactly the same words that I "copied" from JPG Magazine and emailed to them as an example of respect for copyright.

Even though the terms and conditions remain unchanged - perhaps they might change them later - at least the statement on the cover page clarifies the position that they now profess to take.

To all those sceptics and cynics who kept saying (in the previous thread and when the thread was moved to "kopitiam") that "This IS Singapore" / no point to complain / this has always been the way contests are run and will continue to be that way / we should just submit our worthless entries / not happy don't take part / blah blah blah....

hi richard, do u happen to know if this is only applicable to those photo that win prizes or is it for all the enteries, regardless win or not?

also, if they have the rights to use those photos, does that means the same photos, we can use them commercially for other client? will there be problem with STB or the new client?

last, does that means we cant sell the exclusive rights to another customer for ever, since STB never states how long they hold the rights to use the photo as they deem fits?

thanks.

Last edited:

salute you for your efforts :thumbsup:

This shows how obstinate, parochial and pusillanimous we Singaporeans are in general.

Hey, don't flame me for writing this..... I am guilty of such behavior too, sometimes. ;) After all, I am a true-blue Singaporean.

Last edited:

Bro, it is okay. You did your best. It is up to them to do what they think is right for us, local artists/photographers, now.

You, me and the other artist friend of ours will celebrate with a toast of teh halia and kueh bomb over this weekend. (Oops.... sorry for OTing here)

Last edited:
hi richard, do u happen to know if this is only applicable to those photo that win prizes or is it for all the enteries, regardless win or not?

also, if they have the rights to use those photos, does that means the same photos, we can use them commercially for other client? will there be problem with STB or the new client?

last, does that means we cant sell the exclusive rights to another customer for ever, since STB never states how long they hold the rights to use the photo as they deem fits?

thanks.

I am not with STB and I am not lawyer, but my understanding is this...

1. This applies to ALL ENTRIES not just winning entries.

2. You retain all rights = you can do all that you want to do with the pixs, including sell to other clients etc

3, BUT since you already give STB some rights to use the pixs, obviously you cannot give exclusive rights to others. Look at it this way. You aleady gave some of the rights away. This means you yourself no longer have exclusive rights. So how can you give or sell something that you do not have?

Lack of respect for participants' IP by contest/competition organizers have always been a peeve of mine.
It's certainly not just local entities that are guilty of this.

Thanks for highlighting that to STB.

It's certainly not just local entities that are guilty of this.

I certainly agree with you on this. However organizers, beside some local ones, usually allow the artist/photographer to retain his/hers exclusive rights. In this case, your exclusive rights go to STB. Meaning, you cannot display these images in your portfolio if your intention is 'exclusively' for commercial use. Simply put it, you can show them to your friends, girlfriend(s), wife (wives), parents, uncles and aunties only.

Last edited:
WAO! So its Mr Richard who helped us yeah!

Good la good la...I am also glad they realised their mistakes... hopefully they change all the T&C so that its in line with whatever they wanted to change man...

I am not with STB and I am not lawyer, but my understanding is this...

1. This applies to ALL ENTRIES not just winning entries.

2. You retain all rights = you can do all that you want to do with the pixs, including sell to other clients etc

3, BUT since you already give STB some rights to use the pixs, obviously you cannot give exclusive rights to others. Look at it this way. You aleady gave some of the rights away. This means you yourself no longer have exclusive rights. So how can you give or sell something that you do not have?

Nope. The STB statement means that they enjoy the same rights as you as the creator of the images. This however implies that none can thereafter give exclusive rights. Therefore it impairs the owner/creator's rights in so far as not being able to give exclusive rights only.
Creator/owner can still sell the images but not the exclusivity.

Nope. The STB statement means that they enjoy the same rights as you as the creator of the images. This however implies that none can thereafter give exclusive rights. Therefore it impairs the owner/creator's rights in so far as not being able to give exclusive rights only.
Creator/owner can still sell the images but not the exclusivity.

Where is a lawyer cum weekend photographer when we need one? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.