Singapore in Pixels

Status
Not open for further replies.
The T&C = don't waste time to submit any photo.

WOAHAHAHA. :bsmilie::bsmilie: Bro, this IS singapore bro...

Of course this is Singapore!

So what do you do about it? Just accept it and give up either your IP rights or the chance to win a $2999 camera?

At least I got some positive response when I emailed STB. There are certain things that can be changed -- eg rules on making beer at home, bar top dancing, opening hours of pubs and discos, etc -- all have been relaxed following feedback from citizens to the gahmen,

It is not as if we are trying to change, eg ministerial salaries or the GRC system of elections. Those, too, can be changed if we want, just harder, that's all.

remember it's not just the winning pix that u automatically loose your rights to but all entries.

if everyone thinks like this, it will be easier to win.

but of course, not everyone will think like this. ;p and what IP rights? i'm sure many of us DL stuff from the net. :embrass:

Of course this is Singapore!

And because this is Singapore, we Singaporeans will have to be more proactive in making our nation a more sought-after destination to host major art exhibitions and events. Isn't that the predominant goal of our National Arts Council now?

If such organizer does not even respect the intellectual property rights of our local artists, how else would NAC be expected to host prominent international arts events?

Last edited:
and what IP rights? i'm sure many of us DL stuff from the net. :embrass:

Hey speak for yourself! Just because you do does not mean that "many of us" also do the same.

In any case, if you want others to respect your copyright, then the non-hypocritical thing to do would be to also respect the rights of others.

but of course, not everyone will think like this. ;p and what IP rights? i'm sure many of us DL stuff from the net. :embrass:

That is why our nation's goal and dream of becoming a regional "arts hub" has never been achieved. Too many people here simply do not respect art and their artists.

In fact, what are the differences between a local artist and a prostitute? NONE! With their intellectual property rights misused and abused by those who just consider our artists as cheap whores, and can do whatever they wish.

Last edited:
That is why our nation's goal and dream of becoming a regional "art hub" has never been achieved. Too many people simply do not respect art and their artists.

And when people who don't respect art and artists go to work for STB, then what you get is Condition #18...

In contrast, look at this copyright statement (oops! copied) from JPG Magazine:

JPG Magazine is a big fan of copyright. We respect yours and reserve our own. You retain all rights to your work. By submitting your work here, you grant JPG Magazine the right to do the following: put it on the web, print it in the magazine, and use it in the promotion of JPG Magazine. You may also receive an invitation to participate in a JPG gallery show or book -- we're always looking for ways to promote our awesome members.

Full of respect here.

That is why our nation's goal and dream of becoming a regional "art hub" has never been achieved. Too many people simply do not respect art and their artists.

In fact, what are the differences between a local artist and a prostitute? NONE! With their intellectual property rights misused and abused by those who just considered them as cheap whores.

Alamak! You call us all prostitutes ah? Eh I am MAESTRO ARTIST leh, ha ha ha!

But get treated like a prostitute by photo contest organisers, :(

hehehehe,,,,almost most of the time, all the time ....sighhhhh...don't know why always the photog get this treatment :(

cheers

Hey speak for yourself! Just because you do does not mean that "many of us" also do the same.

In any case, if you want others to respect your copyright, then the non-hypocritical thing to do would be to also respect the rights of others.

getting all holier than thou, are you?:rolleyes:

many of us in SG. maybe you are some high priest and thus your clique doesn't. must be a real joy being your friend in real life, eh? :sweatsm:

That is why our nation's goal and dream of becoming a regional "arts hub" has never been achieved. Too many people here simply do not respect art and their artists.

In fact, what are the differences between a local artist and a prostitute? NONE! With their intellectual property rights misused and abused by those who just consider our artists as cheap whores, and can do whatever they wish.

actually, my aim was to make people stop and think. for those holy holy folks who really respect EVERY IP right, i salute them.

for the rest of us normal people, we may have used a photo for a presentation, without asking for permission from the copyright holder, or downloaded songs, or a movie or two. that's what i'm getting at.

i believe those who submit their works, myself included, do so for the chance to win something, or to get recognition, or whatever. obviously, we would not surrender our rights for no benefit to us, right?

in no way am i suggesting that IP is some trifle to be scoffed at. for those who are outraged at the conditions, don't submit your works, or do like i do, and submit those which are commercially worthless, or something you don't mind giving up.

I'm more amazed with the responses here than the T&C actually. This has been embedded into almost every single competition since god knows how long and no one knows about it until now? We have been seeing this for god knows how many moons we don't even bother talking about it anymore.

I'm more amazed with the responses here than the T&C actually. This has been embedded into almost every single competition since god knows how long and no one knows about it until now? We have been seeing this for god knows how many moons we don't even bother talking about it anymore.

I don't think so... From what I can recall, they usually only want the rights to winning entries, not to ALL entries.

And even if they have the rights, does not mean that we lose ours. We can let them use our pixs in whatever way - and that is fine with me, although not for some others - but we still keep the rights to use them as well.

In this case, STB says we only keep "non-commercial rights". Means can show off to friends only :think:

Richard

many of us in SG. maybe you are some high priest and thus your clique doesn't. must be a real joy being your friend in real life, eh? :sweatsm:

After knowing Richard for almost 2 years, he is one of the most spiritual person you will ever meet. Almost Sathya Sai Baba-alike in fact.

submit those which are commercially worthless, or something you don't mind giving up.

Say, I represent the PR Department of STB. Do you actually imply that I could use your "commercially worthless" images in some of our Uniquely Singapore brochures and catalogs, and on the caption it says "Property of STB, use with permission" to promote our great nation to tourists worldwide?

How very generous and patriotic of you! I guess it is your way of contributing back to society.

Last edited:

Sorry ah! I must have been a high priest in my former life... Maybe the sort that Jesus condemned for being hypocritical.

Status
Not open for further replies.