Singapore Idol?


Status
Not open for further replies.

redstorm

New Member
Oct 29, 2002
456
0
0
Hougang
Visit site
#1
I happen to be in JB last weekend and watched the live telecast of the Malaysian Idol final from Genting Highland. The standard of the two finalists floored me. The winner, Jac (Jaclyn Victor), an Indian girl, garnered 76% of the SMS votes. Jac was described by the judges as technically flawless and she sang like a negro singer. To me, she is as good as Fantasia or Latoya London. Her rendition of the Malay song, Gemilang (a compulsory number for both contestants), had style, superb control and power. This song was also overwhelming better that sung by her opponent, Dina, a Malay girl. In the end the audience and judges gave her a standing ovation. Her rendition of When I Fall In Love in her own style was described by the caucasian judge, Moss, as spectacular. Those who have watched the show, I am sure, will agree with the observations. Even Dick Lee & company would have been proud of her had she been a Singapore Idol finalist.

Honestly, I don't know why there is so much hype about this Singapore Idol where there is simply no talent at all. The singers are all like karaoke style - no power, no style, etc. Sad to say but the Sg Idol wannabes are not even half as good as Dina the Malaysian runner-up.
 

redstorm

New Member
Oct 29, 2002
456
0
0
Hougang
Visit site
#3
Flyingpig said:
the way you says make us feel very paiseh.. lol
Not only u feel paiseh, I felt likewise. Our idol wannabes are simply no match even for the runner-up let alone the Malaysian Idol winner. Sad but very true. If you got Malaysian friends in Johore, ask them and they will concur with me cos' they can also receive our Sg TV channels and can give a fair comparison.
 

redstorm

New Member
Oct 29, 2002
456
0
0
Hougang
Visit site
#5
reno77 said:
I think only Olinda can sing.
Yes, Olinda can sing but she is not in the same class as Dina, the runner-up who only managed to garner only 24% of the SMS votes. Imagine that!
 

Aug 19, 2003
98
0
0
Visit site
#6
Olinda is one of those who got a powerful voice. Personallly feel singapore idol judges and singers are not up to standard. Not so interesting as American Idol or even Malaysia Idol. :)
 

redstorm

New Member
Oct 29, 2002
456
0
0
Hougang
Visit site
#8
earthlings said:
Olinda is one of those who got a powerful voice. Personallly feel singapore idol judges and singers are not up to standard. Not so interesting as American Idol or even Malaysia Idol. :)

Didn't have the opportunity to watch the earlier rounds of the Malaysian Idol but if the standard of the two finalists are anything to go by, the overall standard must be very much higher than ours. What a shame for Singpore Idol.
 

#10
Perhaps we are not seeing this as part of the big picture.

Ultimately, it's quite sad if Singapore Idol wannabes cannot compare with the Malaysian Idol Runner up, but personally, I'm not too worried.

Singapore is good at other stuff Malaysia's not good at, but I doubt you will find them criticising their own people. For eg, for things more serious things like Biotech R&D (for want of a better example), I dont think Malaysia is criticising their scientists for losing out to Singaporeans.

And if you think about it, Malaysia's a much larger and supposedly more "resourceful" (again, for want of a better word) country than Singapore and they're not fretting about it. So why should we fret and criticise our own Singapore Idol wannabes if they don't measure up to Malaysian Idol standards?

Perhaps we should encourage as much as possible and in the event that we realise that singaporeans truly cant sing as well as malaysians, just accept the fact and be happy with what he have.

Just my 2 cents... Hope i didnt come across as being critical or Redstorm, et all, cos I certainly didnt mean to.. just providing an alternative point of view. ;)
 

L-MoLe

New Member
Aug 24, 2003
58
0
0
Bird Cage
www.holgilein.de
#11
Be it S'pore Idol, Malaysia Idol , American Idol, Mars Idol , Pluto Idol or blah blah blah Idol....it is all about choosing an Idol out of the country. It is about choosing someone with ultimate popularity.

How many of you think that F4 can sing as good as Jacky Cheung? or F4 can act like Tony Leung. Or Dance like Aaron Kwok. :blah:


But F4 is still freaking popular. They are still Idol of many ppl.
:bsmilie: sorry, too long winded. Main point is that Talent :nono: isn't as important as Popularity in S'pore Idol. It is not a Talent Time Content :D
 

Jul 31, 2004
189
0
0
49
Sin City
#12
I've been watching the Malaysian Idol on & off on TV3 & from the very start of the final top 10, it was obvious that Jac, the eventual winner, was way too good.

To be fair to the S'pore Idol wannabes, not all of the final 10 are good but their standard is much, much better. Unfortunately for S'pore Idol, the voters chose to vote for their favourites rather than voting for talent. IMO, a certain finalist should have been out earlier but he's still around.

But on a positive note, I'm sure that we do have the talents out there.
 

romeo

New Member
May 7, 2002
269
0
0
36
Lost
Visit site
#13
AixisOfJustice said:
IMO, a certain finalist should have been out earlier but he's still around.
I think everybody knows who that refers to :bsmilie:

I agree too :p
 

vagabond

New Member
May 7, 2004
93
0
0
#14
Yeah, I was helping a friend prepare for the auditions for SI. She's got a good voice but we both know her personality won't suit this kinda contest which is more abt popularity than talent, & she just went to enjoy herself. She wasn't too bothered that she didn't make the last 300.

Personally I feel most of the real talents won't even bother to join SI.
 

Gymrat76

Senior Member
May 10, 2004
1,606
0
0
41
#15
drummercow said:
Perhaps we are not seeing this as part of the big picture.

Ultimately, it's quite sad if Singapore Idol wannabes cannot compare with the Malaysian Idol Runner up, but personally, I'm not too worried.

Singapore is good at other stuff Malaysia's not good at, but I doubt you will find them criticising their own people. For eg, for things more serious things like Biotech R&D (for want of a better example), I dont think Malaysia is criticising their scientists for losing out to Singaporeans.

And if you think about it, Malaysia's a much larger and supposedly more "resourceful" (again, for want of a better word) country than Singapore and they're not fretting about it. So why should we fret and criticise our own Singapore Idol wannabes if they don't measure up to Malaysian Idol standards?

Perhaps we should encourage as much as possible and in the event that we realise that singaporeans truly cant sing as well as malaysians, just accept the fact and be happy with what he have.

Just my 2 cents... Hope i didnt come across as being critical or Redstorm, et all, cos I certainly didnt mean to.. just providing an alternative point of view. ;)
Well, I don't know about Biotech R&D.. being in this particular field, I can tell you that A LOT of the researchers in the big labs are from mainland China, India and Western countries.. :) Not necessarrily 'local' talent, but rather, hired guns
 

jOhO

Senior Member
Apr 20, 2003
6,485
0
0
41
Singapore
www.expressivelyjoho.com
#17
redstorm said:
I happen to be in JB last weekend and watched the live telecast of the Malaysian Idol final from Genting Highland. The standard of the two finalists floored me. The winner, Jac (Jaclyn Victor), an Indian girl, garnered 76% of the SMS votes. Jac was described by the judges as technically flawless and she sang like a negro singer. To me, she is as good as Fantasia or Latoya London. Her rendition of the Malay song, Gemilang (a compulsory number for both contestants), had style, superb control and power. This song was also overwhelming better that sung by her opponent, Dina, a Malay girl. In the end the audience and judges gave her a standing ovation. Her rendition of When I Fall In Love in her own style was described by the caucasian judge, Moss, as spectacular. Those who have watched the show, I am sure, will agree with the observations. Even Dick Lee & company would have been proud of her had she been a Singapore Idol finalist.

Honestly, I don't know why there is so much hype about this Singapore Idol where there is simply no talent at all. The singers are all like karaoke style - no power, no style, etc. Sad to say but the Sg Idol wannabes are not even half as good as Dina the Malaysian runner-up.
well i take it as a comment that needs no response, becos ur post begs the question: "so???" in the nicest way possible, mind u! ;)

hey i agree, (even WITHOUT watching that malaysian idol sing) but i guess it's just like that. i watch it when i'm home in time, but otherwise i won't rush to a TV every thursday night.

and sometimes it's fun to go with the hype lar.. at work i will say.. "MAIA!!!!!!" when we're talking about it, and all the guys will be like, oh yah!!! and all the girls will like, cheyyyyyyyyyy wat's so good about her, her teeth kenasai..." then we laff until our boss walks past..

that's about it for me... no biggie. :)
 

laugh

New Member
Jun 2, 2003
285
0
0
Visit site
#18
so what if malaysia has a better idol? they way its being put is like we are not supposed to lose to malaysia....
we should continue to support these talents as they come along.. . But being singaporean, its really no biggy who wins or who loses... maybe thats the problem.. i guess.
 

ahbeng

New Member
Jun 9, 2003
412
0
0
Visit site
#19
Gymrat76 said:
Well, I don't know about Biotech R&D.. being in this particular field, I can tell you that A LOT of the researchers in the big labs are from mainland China, India and Western countries.. :) Not necessarrily 'local' talent, but rather, hired guns
i have no reason to disagree with what you said. look at the olympic games and will understand. having said that, our government comprise of "local" talents that make singapore sucessful and powerful. hehe, its afterall the local talent that hires the foreign talent.
 

weevil84

New Member
Jul 26, 2004
250
0
0
Tampines
#20
Saw the Malaysian Idol final straight after Singapore Idol. It was same day different time. While it's true that the MI finalists were super good, we have to realise that since the population there is so much larger, it's only simple probabilty that they would have a higher chance of having someone of that calibre. In Singapore, it is only recently that people start realising that life isn't about pieces of paper with your name on it stating how well you studied, therefore I would say the local pool of musicians are just starting to grow, compared to Malaysia, where more talents could be selected from a larger pool of musicians. Give Singaporeans a little more time. I'm sure some day the standards will get 'there'
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom