Singapore Idol 2


Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 26, 2006
89
0
0
Jurong
#1
Hi guys,

I wonder if you guys watch this program or not but I guess I could try my luck and see if you guys can give some comments about the show.

Personally, I feel that the contestants from last year were better than the ones this year. And there's a new judge by the name of Jacintha who gives very pointless comments. I wonder why she's there anyway. American Idol has got 3 judges only. Most my friends feel that Singaporeans are voting for the wrong reason. Instead of voting based on singing, they vote based on looks. Example would be Joakim, he's a good looking guy but he can't sing. Even the judges said so.

Just my opinion on this year's Singapore Idol. How about you guys? :D

Cheers.
 

kelccm

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2004
1,515
2
0
A village in a forest
#2
Never had any high opinions about our Singapore Idol shows. To me, it is not a singing contest, but rather a popularity contest. The word Idol already imply that the contestant should have more than a good voice, but the whole package(voice, looks, charisma etc etc)

I do watch Singapore Idol, but I have never voted, waste of my $$.
 

Jan 26, 2006
89
0
0
Jurong
#8
kelccm said:
Never had any high opinions about our Singapore Idol shows. To me, it is not a singing contest, but rather a popularity contest. The word Idol already imply that the contestant should have more than a good voice, but the whole package(voice, looks, charisma etc etc)

I do watch Singapore Idol, but I have never voted, waste of my $$.

agree with you. but the contestants this year, either have the look or the voice. it's like nobody has got those 2 qualities.

anyways, i feel that hady stands a high chance. wad about you guys?
 

Mar 27, 2005
1,164
0
0
Singapore
#11
I have watched a few but I'm so turned off by the fact that gurmit blames you people for not voting enough that one of the contestant lose. Its a legitimized scam. It makes gambling a better alternative because you can still win something. Now I have mixed feelings that for those who voted and "lost" their money deserve it.
 

redstorm

New Member
Oct 29, 2002
456
0
0
Hougang
Visit site
#12
Wasting of time. All these contestants are like a bunch of kids whining. I happened to catch the Malaysian Idol live on TV, the same year that Taufik won the local contest, which was shown at Genting Highland. The winner, Jac, an Indian girl, blown the competition away with her superb rendition of a Malay song which was way better than the runners-up, a Malay girl. Her standard was as good as, if not better than, those good American black singers - power, control, etc. Even Taufik's standard couldn't compared to the runners-up.

Like what someone mentioned, it's more like a popularity contest and ppl don't really care if u can sing well or not. I believed we have good singers around but they do not want to take part for various reasons. Bring back Talentine and let professionals be the judge rather than the public.
 

satch

Senior Member
May 1, 2004
2,114
0
0
Living out of the suitcase...
#13
the remaining contestants are really disappointing esp. paul, joakim & hardy. the other 3 jon, jasmine and nurul are "okay" only, IMHO - nothing spectacular, no X-factor. If you walk past them in Orchard Rd, you wouldn't even notice them!
 

harrynkl

Senior Member
Dec 1, 2005
3,651
0
36
44
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.pbase.com
#14
redstorm said:
Wasting of time. All these contestants are like a bunch of kids whining. I happened to catch the Malaysian Idol live on TV, the same year that Taufik won the local contest, which was shown at Genting Highland. The winner, Jac, an Indian girl, blown the competition away with her superb rendition of a Malay song which was way better than the runners-up, a Malay girl. Her standard was as good as, if not better than, those good American black singers - power, control, etc. Even Taufik's standard couldn't compared to the runners-up.

Like what someone mentioned, it's more like a popularity contest and ppl don't really care if u can sing well or not. I believed we have good singers around but they do not want to take part for various reasons. Bring back Talentine and let professionals be the judge rather than the public.
do argeed that Talentine is 1 class above Singapore Idol at least those who join are really good in singing
 

synapseman

Senior Member
May 6, 2003
2,196
0
0
State of Confusion
www.pbase.com
#16
redstorm said:
Wasting of time. All these contestants are like a bunch of kids whining. I happened to catch the Malaysian Idol live on TV, the same year that Taufik won the local contest, which was shown at Genting Highland. The winner, Jac, an Indian girl, blown the competition away with her superb rendition of a Malay song which was way better than the runners-up, a Malay girl. Her standard was as good as, if not better than, those good American black singers - power, control, etc. Even Taufik's standard couldn't compared to the runners-up.

Like what someone mentioned, it's more like a popularity contest and ppl don't really care if u can sing well or not. I believed we have good singers around but they do not want to take part for various reasons. Bring back Talentine and let professionals be the judge rather than the public.
In the run up to Singapore Idle season 2, did you all notice that the concurrent ads for American Idol showed how good their contestants are, while SI showed how horrible ours are going to be?

MediaCork didn't want to hold SI2 immediately the first season because they wanted to give Taufik time to "develop his career".

Tell me, other than his insipid "I Dream" song, what other song do we remember him singing? "Reach for the Skies" National Day song? This guy is nothing more than a commercial vehicle. All we ever see him do is endorse Slurpees and Big Gulps. Sylvester Sim? Absolutely atrocious as a singer.

And yes, it's all bullshit. If it were to be a legitimate contest, each person would be allowed to vote only ONCE. Imagine our GE, the gahmen says vote as many times you want via SMS! (charges at $1 per SMS). Furthermore, there are conspiracy theories abound about how the whole thing is kelong anyway. The better singer of the last 2 will always come in 2nd place. The better singer can carry his own weight, while the weaker one would need a leg up, and hence will be awarded the Idle title. That way, the Idle franchise will be the biggest winner! Plausible, no?

This season of SI is simply awful. The best anyone can say about them is, "Hmm, not bad." Well "not bad" just don't cut it, yo. If I want to be entertained, I want to be blown away, and not have to put up with "not bad". MediaCork should really bin the SI series. The concept is getting stale, and does NOTHING to promote talent locally. All it does is waste valuable screen time on wierdos for our entertainment. Like a freakshow!

And oh, one last point: Fire Ja. Now.
 

Jan 26, 2006
89
0
0
Jurong
#17
Ja? you mean Jacintha? Agree with you 100%. she gives one the least constructive remarks i've ever heard on a tv show. She's simply rephrasing what dick lee said. And some of her comments doesn't make sense at all. Maybe that's why Dick Lee divorced her.

Talentine? yes, it was much better than sg idol. you guys remember cherry chocolate candy? they were good.
 

AReality

Senior Member
Jun 9, 2003
4,458
0
0
VisualJournalist.net
#18
gerald15388 said:
Most my friends feel that Singaporeans are voting for the wrong reason. Instead of voting based on singing, they vote based on looks. Example would be Joakim, he's a good looking guy but he can't sing. Even the judges said so.

Just my opinion on this year's Singapore Idol. How about you guys? :D

Cheers.

If u have a sound mind, u will not vote.
If they include prizes, aunties will start to vote.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter if i vote or not. I'm not affected, except when the new idol canot sing, spoils the nation's name.
 

Jan 26, 2006
89
0
0
Jurong
#19
AReality said:
If u have a sound mind, u will not vote.
If they include prizes, aunties will start to vote.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter if i vote or not. I'm not affected, except when the new idol canot sing, spoils the nation's name.
LOL! precisely, i don't vote.

oh ya, i met this fren, and he said that this year's idols are all very arrogant except Paul 2hill and Jasmine tye. the rest won't talk to you. if u say hi to him they'll just go "yea" den they walk off. hahah he says he hates Hady though. for being such a dao a**hole.
 

itchy

New Member
Aug 19, 2004
396
0
0
Katong
#20
gerald15388 said:
Ja? you mean Jacintha? Agree with you 100%. she gives one the least constructive remarks i've ever heard on a tv show. She's simply rephrasing what dick lee said. And some of her comments doesn't make sense at all. Maybe that's why Dick Lee divorced her.

Talentine? yes, it was much better than sg idol. you guys remember cherry chocolate candy? they were good.
Dont' say that abt jacintha la, she singing that time we all still drinking mcdonald red packet milk ah. Not denying that her comments are useless though. Wait, the judges dun have any say in who's staying. Their comments are also all useless... lucky now got RockStar Supernova, at least got pple singing songs I want to hear instead of I tell you what I wan what I really really wan...really wan to zig ah zig BLEARGH..
 

Status
Not open for further replies.