Singapore Flyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcc19

Nov 20, 2008
Hi,

Finally I got chance to go to Singapore flyer. Due to rain, I couldn't manage to get good pictures in the capsule:cry:, however, nice views were all around the giant flyer after dusk. This photo was taken at the ticketing counter side opposite to the main building of the flyer.

I am new to DSLR, and just bought my D90 one week ago. I am really fascinated by the beautiful pictures taken out of DSLR.

Maybe, I will lead the critique myself. There is a spot light at upper left corner, which gives glaring effect in the picture. I tried to physically block light but to no avail. some photoshop is needed to remove it.

The parameters used are
18mm-ISO400
1/3s-F/4
0EV
DSC-0201.jpg

the main subject is OOF, seems like you were focusing on the grass instead... the grass is shart though... feel that composition can be better, not sure how.. coz i am a newbie too..

hmmm? wrong focus? or was your intentional focus the grass?
look at the picture yourself, do you feel 'unbalanced'?
the reason i said this is becos... there is still some space on the right, but not on the left.
the whole picture is too tightly cropped.
to be honest, composition can be improved. not reali a good idea to take from here. but if it's taken with a FE lens, it's a different story. some may disagree with me though...
oh ya, try to take this picture at around the golden hour, 645pm - 730pm, so that the sky will still have details.
and yes, sorry if i'm draggy, but maybe aperture can be around f/16? so that the background will also be in focus. :)

continue shooting!
show us one more next week!

i feel that if you'd used a larger aperture or focused on the flier it would be better.
the flier is way too much out of focus for it to be considered the main subject.

Hmmm, let me try to be as mild as possible here. The pic is weak, colours are not vibrant enough to hold one eyes to the pic. Composition is flat here. Pic is unbalanced in terms of space, as what HTCahHTC had said. Shoot more, read more. What i can suggest is that, go scourge through the threads in CS, there are threads about Singapore flyers, look at how people take those artistic shots. Learn from there.

Do you realise how out of focus the flyer (your subject is).
I am not commenting on anything else other than that.

Are you ready? When I'm done, the glare would be the least of your worries.....

I'm just curious as to why you have selected to shoot the Flyer in this position. The focus is on the grass. Is that the intention or an error? Were you even looking at the viewfinder when you shot this?

There's a slight hint of an idea or concept(appears to be weak too) of some sort here but the execution failed miserably. Firstly, to have something that significant and occupies that much space in the frame and being out of focus is really disconcerting. You've got to get your priorities right. Lack of attention to details is evident with the spot light and glare creeping in like what you've pointed out. Did you noticed the Flyer is off centre?

This looks like a myopic worm crawling out from the earth, looking at the Flyer. I suggest you do some research on composition and photography in general.

Thx guys for your kind comments and time...I didn't expect so many comments for an armature....Guess I was more excited about the marvel a DSLR can do during the shooting than concerning the rest...This is a starting point for me, and just as u ppl suggested... continue shooting and read more about photography...I will post some more flyer pics later on...

Hi,

Finally I got chance to go to Singapore flyer. Due to rain, I couldn't manage to get good pictures in the capsule:cry:, however, nice views were all around the giant flyer after dusk. This photo was taken at the ticketing counter side opposite to the main building of the flyer.

I am new to DSLR, and just bought my D90 one week ago. I am really fascinated by the beautiful pictures taken out of DSLR.

Maybe, I will lead the critique myself. There is a spot light at upper left corner, which gives glaring effect in the picture. I tried to physically block light but to no avail. some photoshop is needed to remove it.

The parameters used are
18mm-ISO400
1/3s-F/4
0EV
DSC-0201.jpg

LOL. i've never really seen anyone leading the critique chain before. haha! okay, i guess all the pros have already thrown in their two cents worth and theres not really much left to say. but, you took this photo using the ground as your "tripod" right? theres still blur caused by shake. (look at the blades of grass/other elements of the photo carefully)

Hm Dynermite, the grass might have been shaken because of wind.
But if TS' shutter speed was 1/3, okay, might have been.

Hi, Dynermite,

The photo was taken on a tripod on the ground. Due to the space constraints, the camera setup was in a very awkward position. Luckily my camera got this live view function, so the pic was taken in a live view mode and with 10sec timer. So the blurring is probably becoz of the wind. It was a very cooling night after the rain...If you chance upon the location, maybe you can advise how to take a better pic there....

I know it is weird to lead the critique....initially I was afraid tat I wouldn't get any reply at all...

Hi, Dynermite,

The photo was taken on a tripod on the ground. Due to the space constraints, the camera setup was in a very awkward position. Luckily my camera got this live view function, so the pic was taken in a live view mode and with 10sec timer. So the blurring is probably becoz of the wind. It was a very cooling night after the rain...If you chance upon the location, maybe you can advise how to take a better pic there....

I know it is weird to lead the critique....initially I was afraid tat I wouldn't get any reply at all...

If you are taking the pic with a tripod and with a 10s timer, then frankly the flyer shouldn't be looking so blur. Also, it seems to me that the tripod is setup very low from the ground with your DSLR tilted upwards otherwise, it is next to impossible to capture the grass...:dunno:

As for wind effect, I have seldom come across any tripod that will shake in light wind conditions.

I'm guessing that you are taking the pic from above the multistorey carpark?

If you are taking the pic with a tripod and with a 10s timer, then frankly the flyer shouldn't be looking so blur. Also, it seems to me that the tripod is setup very low from the ground with your DSLR tilted upwards otherwise, it is next to impossible to capture the grass...:dunno:

As for wind effect, I have seldom come across any tripod that will shake in light wind conditions.

I'm guessing that you are taking the pic from above the multistorey carpark?

It's the wind that blowed onto the grass that caused the shake.
One thing I find weird, how come there isn't ghosting on the flyer when it's 10secs? The flyer was stationary? I took at at 1.6s and there's apparent ghosting already.

Hi, Pyeel,

10 sec is the timer setting...not the exposure time..1/3s shutter speed...

Hi, Teebs,

Yap..u r rite...the foto was taken one level above the carpark...Now I looked back...My intention was shoot the grass with the flyer as background...I personally found this angle is quite interesting...unfortunately the flyer was not in focus though...

I think 1/3s is too slow, you need a faster shuttle speed (probably - 1/60s) to freeze the wheel's motion. Then, you probably need ISO 3200 which will affect your photo quality. Well, we will see how good is D90.

Hi there,

There are many problems with the picture, but do not despair. Keep shooting and thinking and shooting.

The Feris wheel occupies too much of the frame, its edges are too near to the frames edge, in other words the crop is too tight and it doesn't look pleasing. Give it more space around maybe?

I like the grasses thingy in front of the pic. In landscape photography it could be known as foreground interest, though whether it works or not in this picture is another question, and since you messed up on the other aspects, theres nothing much you can say more.

But I think the grasses thingy is something you wanted to do intentively, which is great, because it meant you saw a picture in your mind before shooting, rather than clicking mindlessly, its just that being inexperienced you made more mistakes.

Best to return to the spot and try again and see if you can improve the composition and the other technical aspects.

Like what others had mentioned, try to shoot at the blue hour, between 6.30 to 7.30pm roughly, but be there at 5.30pm and work on your composition first. When the blue hour and lighting condition arrives, you are ready.

After the blue hour, don't go home yet, try experimenting with night shots, long exposures and stuff. Try f/16 at 30sec for a start, check the results and you adjust accordingly from there.

Don't forget to learn about DOF. Good luck! :)

Last edited:
i feel that if you'd used a larger aperture or focused on the flier it would be better.
the flier is way too much out of focus for it to be considered the main subject.

I believe you meant a smaller aperture, which in turn, grants a deeper DOF.

LOL. i've never really seen anyone leading the critique chain before...

Why not? You can, and should be, your own greatest, strictest critic of your own photography before you let others critique it for you.

Hi wcc19,

yea, as the others have mentioned, the main subject is OOF. Guess you need some practice in manupilating the focus-point selection.

And out of curiosity, why did you include the grass in the foreground?

Cheers, :)
Trent

hey calebk. haha okayokay. *surrender pose* i agree with you.

like how the saying goes, you are your worst critic. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.