Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wah, this might sound trivial, but I cant imagine those who need to go toilet......

stuck for so long and they still can't bear to break the grass to get them out??... ok... even without tat, its like only open not even 5years and this happen... the engineer not bad eh

Singapore Flyer grounded to a halt due to technical fault
By Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 23 December 2008 1843 hrs

SINGAPORE: The world's largest observation wheel, the Singapore Flyer grounded to a halt at about 5pm on Tuesday. After four hours, the Flyer was still not moving.

A passenger who was stuck in one of the capsules said there was a sudden jerk before the wheel stopped turning. An announcement a few minutes later said there was a technical error.

Mdm Lim Boon Siang, a passenger stuck in one of the capsules, said: "About 4.30pm or 4.15pm, after we passed the maximum altitude, it suddenly jerked to a stop, and then for a good five to ten minutes, we waited.

"We thought that this could be something normal. And then there was a message that came in that said that it has stopped temporary. Everybody was calm, but initially the air-con was switched off, so it was very hot due to the evening sun. They opened up the air ventilator, and the air-con if I am not wrong is working now."

She said there were about 10 other people, including children, in her cabin.

When contacted, a Singapore Flyer spokesperson confirmed the incident and said a technical team is trying to fix the problem.

She added that at the time of the incident, 23 capsules were occupied with over 100 passengers.

The spokesperson said: "Their safety was never at risk while they were in the capsules. Every capsule is equipped with an intercom system which is linked to the control room - for passengers and the control room personnel to communicate.

"Our staff promptly informed passengers of the situation and reassured them that measures were being taken to fix the technical problem. There are also surveillance cameras installed in every capsule for the operations team to monitor what is going on in all capsules."

Steps are being taken to evacuate some of the passengers. They are being put in safety harnesses before being slowly lowered to the ground. Others have been told over the intercom that food and drink will be sent to them.

A ride on the 165-metre tall wheel, about 42 storeys high, typically takes half an hour and each capsule can take up to 28 people.

Since the Flyer became operational in February this year, this is the third time it has encountered problems.

The last time a technical glitch occurred was just three weeks ago, on December 4. The wheel was stuck for nearly five hours due to extreme weather conditions and some 70 people were affected.

In July, the Flyer stopped due to a minor fault in the braking system. - CNA/vm

CH8 news report the Flyer still haven't okie. :nono:

Merry "no go" round :dunno:

bad omen!! :devil:

aiyo, why so pessimistic one.. wheel definitely will get stuck once in a while luh

the london eye also got stuck before.. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

in fact apparently in '02 it got shut down because it was rotating too fast.. imagine that :bsmilie:

Normal days, $29.50 for a 30mins ride.

Today, $29.50 for a 6hrs ride, and still going. :cool:

sianz.. those wan go toilet how.. pee out of the window :bsmilie: ... rainn!!

Wonder if anyone took the chance to take a time lapse photography up there. Hmm, i getting a bit mean.

Seriously, hope they all alright, saw some people being hoisted down in the news. I guess its only for those lower capsules?

seems bad enough for the hoist option to be carried out.. dunno wad's causing the problem but its bad bad publicity for the wheel.. :sweat:

I hope they are ok. No toilet, no water, no food. I believe it will get cold at the top of the wheel. I don't think can rappel down from the top. Main thing I couldn't believe is no failsafe!

Last edited:
aiyo, why so pessimistic one.. wheel definitely will get stuck once in a while luh

the london eye also got stuck before.. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

in fact apparently in '02 it got shut down because it was rotating too fast.. imagine that :bsmilie:

sorry i cant help it, since there was alot of good fengshui the wheel supposed to bring. that after "alittle" $$ was spend to reverse to wrong of rotation which was said to be bad fengshui...

to know that its not some space age technology like time travel, isn't it just too soon technical fault like this happening? :dunno:

it is not easy engineering actually, you can't just say you resize the pasar malam ferris wheel and tada become singapore flyer or london eye

i think having technical faults are to be expected.

I am looking out my office window, it's 10.50pm, it ain't turning.

Status
Not open for further replies.