Singapore: Fast-paced, multicultural.

Status
Not open for further replies.

r32

Dec 31, 2002
Singapore
I went out to Orchard Road today with the intention on doing some street photography. When I saw the pedestrians lined up across the road opposite Orchard Emerald, the multicultural makeup struck me.

My wide-angle was on the camera, its long end still not long enough to frame it, but I decided I would crop it later, so it remained to just nail the shot. I initially wanted cars blurring the image, veiling the pedestrians somewhat, so I went to shutter priority and set a 1/20th second shutter speed. I tried 5 or 6 shots with till I got a motorcyclist come by that didn't blur the pedestrians beyond a reasonable clarity. And that represents the fast pace.

What do you think? Its been a while since I have thought about symbolism in an image rather than straightforward action shooting, so I am prepared to get criticism, but do suggest how to do it better.

CRW_2713.jpg

neither to me.
for multi, I suppose u do a tighter crop.
focus on the faces of the pedestrians.

I can't do much on this with your posted pic.
Maybe this looks better? Do some saturation to get magazine type of look.

mulit.jpg

Vehicles to me, definitely you can get them fast paced, with all the zoom.
Try some longer exposure to get the people moving in blur..
That should get you fast paced n multicultural. n eh.. 50% looks more like local Chinese.
Something like in a national event, where you got a mixture of races maybe?

something like this maybe? here lesser ppl movement, since all is looking for the fireworks.
at orchard, you can get more blurness when ppl are moving around much.

s004.jpg

Thanks for the honest comments - I am very out of my depth with this genre of photography and it shows. I'll try again! :)

if you want to be symbolic then you have to avoid the typical symbols that have become cliches...like putting 3 chinese 1 indian 1 angmoh 1 malay next to each other and photographing them

Thanks for the honest comments - I am very out of my depth with this genre of photography and it shows. I'll try again! :)

Street photography, you need to develop an eye for detail, something you can see, that nobody will ever notice or bother for a 2nd look.

Compose and snap, you got a good shot.
Compose, wait and snap, you got an excellent shot.
Compose, wait, wait, luck comes, and snap, you got an award winning shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.