Singapore F717 Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

senhwei

Hi guys,

After weeks of researching, asking questions on this forum, worrying about the availability of the Sony F717 in Singapore - I've finally bought one over the weekend from CP ! :)

I spent a good deal of the weekend walking all over town trying out the capabilities of the new camera. And there are so many new functions to master given the fact that I'm moving up from a Canon Digital IXUS !

Anyway, I've posted my initial batch of photos to the gallery below. Please feel free to check them out and leave comments if you like !

Singapore F717 Gallery

cheers,

senhwei

Overall very nice shots!

A bit too dark, maybe adjust some levels in PS?

Shoot on dude!

Jonny - that's the most frequently received response that I've received from my friends ! I'm still trying to understand the various exposure controls of the new camera ! :)

Thanks for taking an interest.

cheers,

senhwei

I see you are enjoying both the cam and your stay in Singapore! :D

Originally posted by senhwei
Hi guys,

After weeks of researching, asking questions on this forum, worrying about the availability of the Sony F717 in Singapore - I've finally bought one over the weekend from CP ! :)

I spent a good deal of the weekend walking all over town trying out the capabilities of the new camera. And there are so many new functions to master given the fact that I'm moving up from a Canon Digital IXUS !

Anyway, I've posted my initial batch of photos to the gallery below. Please feel free to check them out and leave comments if you like !

Singapore F717 Gallery

cheers,

senhwei

Congrats,

Nice shots, happy to see you enjoying your new Cam.
BTW, Ive got for myself the 717 last Thurs, also from CP.

One question: May I know what's your serial no?

regards

Goondu - definitely enjoying my stay ! Very darn hot though ! :)

PozTer - I will have to give it to you later . At work at the moment and the camera is back in the hotel.

cheers,

senhwei

Hey dudes how much did u guys pay for it?

Jonny - I paid S$1545 PLUS GST.

I saw another poster who paid $1545 including GST .. so I'm a bit peeved. But what the heck, it's a lot cheaper than Sydney !

cheers,

senhwei

Hey mate,

good for u, i think that is a fair price. Anyways i am thinking of getting either a 717 or Minolta 7HI. What are your opinions? I am not too keen on the Memory Stick though as i have a couple of CF cards.

Senhwei, so finally you got the F717, congratulation! I suggest you also need to buy more memory sticks while you are in Singapore, price here must be cheaper than Australia.

Astin - yeah, I bought 3 128Mb sticks ! :) I bought them from CP for $117 each. The cheapest in Sydney is around A$160.

Jonny - I never really weighed up the Minolta. The three cameras that I considered were :

* Canon G3
* Nikon 5700
* Sony F717

The 5700 was originally my first choice but then I read about the problems it has with low-light auto-focussing and the fact that it's a difficult camera to learn to use.

I share your concerns about the MS as well. Ideally, I would have opted for a camera that supported an industry standard format like CF. But I read too many good reviews about the Sony !

cheers,

senhwei

Senhwei, if you still have $ to spend, you also would like to consider : (in terms of importance)

1. another Sony battery (S$100?)
2. Sony remote control (S$70?)
3. Sony flower shape lens hood (S$70?)
4. non-Sony flash ($$)
5. rechargeable battery/charger

haha, sure will make your luggage over weight at Changi airport when you fly back to Aust.

Astin - I think we're thinking along the same lines ! I bought all the accesories that you've mentioned except for the lens hood and external flash.

I bought UV and circular PL filters. I'll be going back to buy a ND8 filter as well.

cheers,

senhwei

You want the ND8 filter? Call Cathay before you go. I actually went there last weekend, asking for the ND8 filter, the salesman (Sam) told me they do not sell ND filters at all. As it was very crowded that day, so I did not ask him why they not selling ND filters.

(I am actually looking for ND filter to shoot some shots for waterfall at day and car lamps at night.:D )

Which branch you went? I just bought NDx4 from them.

Originally posted by Jonny
Overall very nice shots!

A bit too dark, maybe adjust some levels in PS?

Shoot on dude!

In automatic mode, the camera limits the lowest shutter speed to 1/30. This would be in an effort to limit/control camera shake. However, dark pics will be the result if both f and iso adjustment can't compensate to properly expose the pic.

Originally posted by senhwei
KingKongChar - I rang them today and they told me that they didn't have any in stock ! So, I ended up buying from John 3:16.

cheers,

senhwei

BTW I boungt from the Peni branch

KingKongChar - yeah, I rang the Peninsula branch. Didn't even think about the Marina Square one ! But doesn't matter now ...

Zoomer - agreed ! There are so many factors in play to determine what the "correct" exposure is for a scene - shutter speed, aperture value, ISO sensitivity !

I actually had a lot of difficulty trying to get a proper exposure for my Merlion photo. I was trying to get that smooth flowing water effect but when I dropped the shutter speed in shutter priority mode, the whole scene was overexposed. Hence, I went and bought a ND8 filter today.

Anyway ... still learning but it's great fun ! :)

PozTer - in response to your earlier question, the serial number of my F717 is 1895569 which is outside of the "recall zone" - whew !

cheers,

senhwei

Originally posted by Jonny
Hey mate,

good for u, i think that is a fair price. Anyways i am thinking of getting either a 717 or Minolta 7HI. What are your opinions? I am not too keen on the Memory Stick though as i have a couple of CF cards.

Sony got ruled out almost immediatly when I was choosing a new digicam due to memory stick. I already had a number of CF cards and an adaptor for my laptop...

I got a Minolta D7i. I'm happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.