Singapore Drivers License question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryansimon

Dec 19, 2007
Quahog, Rhode Island
okay to anybody holding the new, non-paper laminated based license.

I had to replace my old one because the plastic backing peeled off. I was getting unnecessary stares from the police in Victoria whenever I get stopped by a booze bus, and hence I figured replacing the license would solve some problems.

thing is. the new license arrived and it still has the SAME PLASTIC BACKING that started peeling off after the first few months I had it.

anybody experiencing the same problem as myself? and if so, have you guys done anything to prevent/reduce such occurrences? I was told by the clerk behind the counter at the Traffic Police HQ that I could get it laminated, but I'm very skeptical about it (am worried that the license will break when put through a laminating machine).

yes..same thing happened to me.

it's quite dumb how they print on the laminated part. shouldn't you print on the card before putting a layer of plastic over it?

my low-tech solution was to get thick packing tape (like a 2inch thick roll of scotch tape), and just wrap the whole card. or you can use book wrapping plastic like what we did when we went ROC for training.

if you want to laminate, you can get those self-laminating pouches.

hmm I can't do that. if I do the "packing tape on sides" thing, it'll look just as suspicious as with the plastic peeling off.

will laminating it break the card, though? I'm worried the card will snap when it is put through a laminating machine...

Sorry OT abit... do you have to pay to replace your license and where can i go to have it changed? Apply online can? my one the plastic peeled off liao and the picture also half gone :(

Sorry OT abit... do you have to pay to replace your license and where can i go to have it changed? Apply online can? my one the plastic peeled off liao and the picture also half gone :(

yup. you have to pay $25 to replace it. and replacement is done at the Traffic Police HQ at Ubi. apparently if it's your third replacement (for whatever reasons), you'll need some sort of a statement from the police with regards to it.

i buy those card case to keep my license in. ;p

yup. you have to pay $25 to replace it. and replacement is done at the Traffic Police HQ at Ubi. apparently if it's your third replacement (for whatever reasons), you'll need some sort of a statement from the police with regards to it.

$25 to get it replaced bcos they used lousy plastic that failed to do it's job properly???:eek: I think i will use a clear tape to cover next time if i replace it.. Can i go to driving center and replace instead? Got traffic police there right? And do i have to make appointment 1st or can just go down like that? Sorry so many questions :)

Traffic Police HQ only. and no, no appointment is necessary. just walk in and pay the $25 by means of Nets or Cashcard only.

That's strange, the new plastic license is quite hardy, never got any peeling problems with it. Only thing is that it scratches easily so now I got lots of scratches on it, but still non-peeling.

okay to anybody holding the new, non-paper laminated based license.

I had to replace my old one because the plastic backing peeled off. I was getting unnecessary stares from the police in Victoria whenever I get stopped by a booze bus, and hence I figured replacing the license would solve some problems.

thing is. the new license arrived and it still has the SAME PLASTIC BACKING that started peeling off after the first few months I had it.

anybody experiencing the same problem as myself? and if so, have you guys done anything to prevent/reduce such occurrences? I was told by the clerk behind the counter at the Traffic Police HQ that I could get it laminated, but I'm very skeptical about it (am worried that the license will break when put through a laminating machine).

are they talking about foreign country driver license?

I was getting unnecessary stares from the police in Victoria whenever I get stopped by a booze bus, and hence I figured replacing the license would solve some problems.

Where is Victoria? Melbourne Aus?
Didn't realise you can use a SGP license to drive there without IDP...

just convert SG licence to VIC licence??

OT a bit..do i need to convert my SG license if i want to drive in UK?

I believe it depends on whether you drive there as a tourist, or you stay there.

JUst like with SG, people holding overseas license must convert to SG license after they stayed here for 1 year.

BTW the IDP seems redundant these days.

I've had the credit-card type drivers license since 2003 and it's still not peeling.... even though I have a small chip-off on one of the edges... Maybe it's because I tend to put my license between other cards in the wallet, so it's kinda 'protected'?

Status
Not open for further replies.