Singapore Cityscape

Thank you. Now you know what is a good and helpful critique. Keep up the good work.
Just to highlight, asking questions is not necssarily a bad way of giving critique (and just in case there is a misunderstanding, I don't mean that you have said that. This is just additional clarification for bystanders). Asking the right questions can sometimes prompt the receiver to think and head in a certain direction - it can even be more illuminating than simply giving statements. The former (asking the right questions) can at times provide a deeper understanding, as what should be considered becomes even more apparent (this of course, tends to be more effective when the receiver can "see" what the critique giver is hinting at) than the alternative of being handed a declaration of what is right or better.

Cheers.

Just to highlight, asking questions is not necssarily a bad way of giving critique (and just in case there is a misunderstanding, I don't mean that you have said that. This is just additional clarification for bystanders). Asking the right questions can sometimes prompt the receiver to think and head in a certain direction - it can even be more illuminating than simply giving statements. The former (asking the right questions) can at times provide a deeper understanding, as what should be considered becomes even more apparent (this of course, tends to be more effective when the receiver can "see" what the critique giver is hinting at) than the alternative of being handed a declaration of what is right or better.

Cheers.

Sure what you say is right. But in this case, is that particular question helpful? I said it because there was no follow up from the person asking the question, till I nudged him on.

Asking questions to encourage thinking is a good thing. But need to follow up as well, if the TS cannot understand or comprehend the motive or reasoning behind.

Last edited:
Sure what you say is right. But in this case, is that particular question helpful? I said it because there was no follow up from the person asking the question, till I nudged him on.

Asking questions to encourage thinking is a good thing. But need to follow up as well, if the TS cannot understand or comprehend the motive or reasoning behind.
Agree, was just commenting generally. Cheers.

a critique shld be directed at what the TS wants to show. whats the point of saying how to shoot this way that way, when its not even to what TS wants to show? which is why i always ask questions first, before dropping replies. i find it more effective.

If effectiveness is what you are looking for, a more complete line of questions and follow up after, might work much better than the one line threw out in the beginning. I remember a time when you were learning as well, and many people in this forum gave you the courtesy of giving you feedback that is more helpful or asked you questions in more complete manner. Maybe you would like to extend that same courtesy to other new learners here as well. No doubt you might be very new to giving critiques, but asking the right questions in the right way will help the people seeking critique learn and understand more effectively.

If effectiveness is what you are looking for, a more complete line of questions and follow up after, might work much better than the one line threw out in the beginning. I remember a time when you were learning as well, and many people in this forum gave you the courtesy of giving you feedback that is more helpful or asked you questions in more complete manner. Maybe you would like to extend that same courtesy to other new learners here as well. No doubt you might be very new to giving critiques, but asking the right questions in the right way will help the people seeking critique learn and understand more effectively.

albert, i was waiting for TS to reply! he don't reply i also find it hard to give my comments afterwards (he can then go on to raise his questions to me). its only when he posted his unedited version, then we can go a little from there.

even until now, i'm still very lost as to what he wants, and i only gave very generic comments for landscape photography. what is he actually looking for, i have no idea. is it interesting clouds? lighted buildings? what kind of mood, what kind of feeling is he trying to show? is he trying to show singapore as busy, or is he trying to show that we are rich yet a cold nation with the shot? or is he just looking at a nice photo of CBD at sunrise/set?

there are many things, which only he can answer for me, not the other way around. which is why nowadays i'm trying my best to start with the same questions: what is it you are trying to show. and then we go from there.

i think this are some slightly better examples of how i tried to follow a person's idea and raise some questions. usually they get the gist of what is not working for them immediately.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/critique-corner/1036372-happily-ever-after.html
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/critique-corner/913761-my-first-try.html
hope you see where i am coming from. its something that i'm now trying to see if it actually helps. perhaps in this case, the phrasing was off, which i apologise for it.

Last edited:
albert, i was waiting for TS to reply! he don't reply i also find it hard to give my comments afterwards (he can then go on to raise his questions to me). its only when he posted his unedited version, then we can go a little from there.

even until now, i'm still very lost as to what he wants, and i only gave very generic comments for landscape photography. what is he actually looking for, i have no idea. is it interesting clouds? lighted buildings? what kind of mood, what kind of feeling is he trying to show? is he trying to show singapore as busy, or is he trying to show that we are rich yet a cold nation with the shot? or is he just looking at a nice photo of CBD at sunrise/set?

there are many things, which only he can answer for me, not the other way around. which is why nowadays i'm trying my best to start with the same questions: what is it you are trying to show. and then we go from there.

i think this are some slightly better examples of how i tried to follow a person's idea and raise some questions. usually they get the gist of what is not working for them immediately.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/critique-corner/1036372-happily-ever-after.html
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/critique-corner/913761-my-first-try.html
hope you see where i am coming from. its something that i'm now trying to see if it actually helps. perhaps in this case, the phrasing was off, which i apologise for it.

In those 2 threads, do you find your critiques to be particularly helpful?

yes. Looks like your phrasing needs a lot of work, not just in this thread.

In those 2 threads, do you find your critiques to be particularly helpful?

yes. Looks like your phrasing needs a lot of work, not just in this thread.

if i was the receiving end? yes. those ideas to me will be more important in helping me craft my image, and to be sure what each element in the photograph says and how to portray them. it is more useful than just generic commentary and makes me more conscious of what i am shooting, rather than when to get the better light, what angle, because at best, the image will just be another shot that looks beautiful, but expresses nothing.

perhaps this is where we differ, on what photography does and what it means to add a voice to an image. and i will leave it as such because everyone have their own views.

anything else, you can reach me via pm. lets not clutter this thread with this discussion.

Last edited: