Singapore Buying MLRS (Multi-Launch Rocket Systems)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xlakedaemon

Jul 14, 2004
North East
For all the Military Buffs,

Just read that Singapore is planning to buy the MLRS.

Have known that we were interested, just didn't expect it to be so soon.

Maybe we might see some potential tenders during the Singapore Airshow next year!

Here is the article. Enjoy! ;)

WASHINGTON: The US Defense Department said on Wednesday it was tentatively planning to sell Singapore advanced Lockheed Martin Corp artillery rocket systems that could cost as much as $330 million.

Singapore has asked to buy 18 M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System launchers complete with nine medium tactical vehicle 5-ton trucks, communications sets and 32 XM31 Unitary High Explosive GMLRS rockets, the Pentagon told Congress.

The system, known as HIMARS, is designed to defeat artillery, air defenses, trucks, light armour and personnel carriers.

It would give Singapore a highly effective military capability critical to deterrence and national defense, the Pentagon's Defense Security and Cooperation Agency said. It said the total value could be $330 million if all options were exercised.

XM-142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS)
HIMARS supplements traditional canon artillery by delivering high-volume firepower in a short time against time-sensitive targets, the notice to Congress said.

"The proposed sale will contribute to the foreign policy and national security of the United States by helping to improve the security of a friendly country that has been, and continues to be, an important force for economic progress in Southeast Asia," the notice said.

On Aug. 24, the agency told Congress that Singapore was also seeking up to 84 precision-guided bombs for its F-15 fighter jet fleet as part of a military package valued at up to $200 million.

The notice of a potential sale is required by U.S. law. It does not mean a sale has been concluded. Congress retains the power to block a sale but rarely does so.
M142-High-Mobility-Artillery-Rocket-System.jpg

Err... I think TS need to modify the title, it's not MLRS, it's HIMARS. It's a different system. The MLRS is mounted on a tracked vehicle. HIMARS can be air-transportable, though.

Pretty amazing for a small number of rockets.

Only 6, but each rocket has 644 submunitions bomblets... AR capabilities to boot. :thumbsup:

Range 60km...

good investment ! :thumbsup:

bomb first , clear whatever is needed and then let the infantry boys stroll in.

Notice that there has been an arms race in Asia Pac.. exp.. SU30 fighters which is equivalent to F-15.

good investment ! :thumbsup:

bomb first , clear whatever is needed and then let the infantry boys stroll in.

Notice that there has been an arms race in Asia Pac..
No..should be..whack the suckers first using these long range rockets. Send in the Apaches and F-15s for aerial bombardment/pick off strategic targets using their precision bombs. Next send the heavy armour...Leopards, Bionix in. Last but not least infantry really take a "stroll in the park" liao. :bsmilie:

Pretty amazing for a small number of rockets.

Only 6, but each rocket has 644 submunitions bomblets... AR capabilities to boot. :thumbsup:

Range 60km...

The power and the range are critical... we should engage them at 60km

No..should be..whack the suckers first using these long range rockets. Send in the Apaches and F-15s for aerial bombardment/pick off strategic targets using their precision bombs. Next send the heavy armour...Leopards, Bionix in. Last but not least infantry really take a "stroll in the park" liao. :bsmilie:
and get sniped by stray elements.

ah!!..maybe we get a chance to snap pics of some stuffs which are relatively modern..not second hand items…or items redesign from Vietnam era…. next year…

they buy so many for?

Err... I think TS need to modify the title, it's not MLRS, it's HIMARS. It's a different system. The MLRS is mounted on a tracked vehicle. HIMARS can be air-transportable, though.

Haha...thanks for raising that up. I wanted to put HIMARS, but I think not many would know what the thread would be about. At least MLRS is an abbreviation that many would be familiar. The HIMARS is a more advanced system. Since this is out in the open, back in the days when I was in the army, I kinda knew about this direction we were heading to in buying rocket systems. It was a secret then. So were the MBTs. ;p

Cheers!

Anyone caught the episode of FutureWeapons showing the MLRS/HIMARS effect on target?
Precision strike.. Ground penetration.. Airburst mayhem.. It was a practically FUBAR (if you get wat I mean..)

Wonder what will be the hangfire drill? Hmmm... :think:

v interesting, "bad guys" still can win in a conflict w/o such fancy hi-tech toys.

wad does it say abt this hi-tech toys then? :dunno:

you can always send in all your crack and elite forces even before the infantry come in.. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.