Singapore born photographer is Magnum Photos' member

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachme2003

Oct 6, 2003
Singapore born Simon Wheatley is accepted as Magnum' s member on the strength of his photographic portfolio of youths in tough neighbourhoods of London and Amsterdam. this report appeared in Life on thursday, 9 Feb.

yes, he lived here until he was four.

ok..ok ...ok...

reachme2003 said:
Singapore born Simon Wheatley is accepted as Magnum' s member on the strength of his photographic portfolio of youths in tough neighbourhoods of London and Amsterdam. this report appeared in Life on thursday, 9 Feb.

Well, I think he don't know much about Singapore since he left here at the age of 4. :bsmilie:

reachme2003 said:

Interesting.

FWIW:

David Bailey served in the British armed forces here back in the sixties.

If I am not mistaken, Helmut Newton even worked for the Straits Times or some other local paper here enroute to Europe from Down Under.

Tetrode said:
Gee, there a couple of glaring spelling mistakes in the article.

Barring that, it's still an interesting insight into the way he works. I think the interviewer is Austrian... explains a couple of things.

AReality said:
Bottom line, no NS lar?

What you talking about? The guy was born here and left when he was 4, doesn't exactly qualify as a Singaporean citizen. Of course no NS.

rueyloon said:
he got serve NS or not ?
the irony of it is that if you were born in Singapore and raised here for a couple of years and then went oversea and never came back, then many years later you will become world-famous artistically ....:bsmilie:

I am also a member of Magnum Press, but I have not heard anything from them since 2002.... except the occasional newsletters they send me.:think:

Canonised said:
the irony of it is that if you were born in Singapore and raised here for a couple of years and then went oversea and never came back, then many years later you will become world-famous artistically ....:bsmilie:

Corrine May and Vanessa Mae....

Singapore born, went overseas and became so famous artistically in music...

Any artistically world famous Singapore-based Singaporeans? :cry:

Let's not forget Grace Kwek a.k.a. Annabel Chong. World famous gang-banger (artistically). Household name in adult entertainment in the US.

redstone said:
Any artistically world famous Singapore-based Singaporeans? :cry:

Russell Wong qualifies as one, imo.

Terence said:
Russell Wong qualifies as one, imo.
Isn't Russell half-Hongkie? (Half of his heart is in Hong Kong)

reachme2003 said:

and your point is?

This thread is turning a little silly, especially with the last 2 replies.

Deadpoet... I think the point was to let everyone else know that Magnum has a new full member in its folds and an interesting point to note that he was Singaporean born (but not necessarily Singaporean)

Photobum... if you want to be technical, I guess you're right. But as to where his heart is, you'd have to ask him yourself.

Terence said:
This thread is turning a little silly, especially with the last 2 replies.

Deadpoet... I think the point was to let everyone else know that Magnum has a new full member in its folds and an interesting point to note that he was Singaporean born (but not necessarily Singaporean)

Well, it was meant to be silly, in response to a silly thread. I can understand if Simon Wheatly is a Singaporean or grew up in Singapore, then it's something of interest to people here. But for god sake, he was not a Singaporean, and the only claim to fame was born here and lived here for 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.