Singapore Airlines Hand Baggage Policy [URGENT]

krishna91

Oct 14, 2009
Asia
I'll be making my way back to Los Angeles tomorrow morning, and I've been wondering if Singapore airlines will allow the following for hand baggage: (Economy class)

ThinkTank Urban Disguise 35 with Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70, 80-200, and a few light accessories.

Plus a 17" laptop sleeve with a 17" macbook pro unibody.

Total weight would be 7-10kg.

The bags aren't big at all, they're within size restrictions and I certainly won't be looking like I'm struggling to carry the stuff. I've generally never had problems carrying this stuff on American flights, but I have no clue about Singapore airlines.

Are they relaxed about it? Please share your experiences.

Thanks in advance

yer
i carried 4 lenses + body + lappy in my old bag which was about the same size as your lowerpro backpack last time and had no problems with singapore airlines..

No worries about it as long as your luggage conforms to the size of the overhead compartment.

I have carried a 55 litres backpack into the overhead compartment before.

Just a note that you will be asked to remove your MBP, shoes and socks and even open your TT for inspection.

LOL no worries. Your baggage is small.

should be fine... i carry my urban disguise 60 with 2 bodies, 4 lenses and 2 flashes, plus my laptop. And a trolley cabin luggage. SQ lets me in so far (touch wood).

Singapore Airlines (SIA) said:

Under the Singapore Airlines' cabin baggage policy, each passenger will be allowed the following cabin baggage allowance:

• Quantity : 1 piece for Economy Class passengers
    2 pieces for Suites, First and Business Class passengers *

• Dimensions : Length + Breadth + Height (including protrusions) must not exceed 115 cm (45") in total and can be stowed securely

• Weight : Up to 7 kg

The following baggage items are deemed to constitute one piece of cabin baggage:

• Trolley Bag : 55 cm x 40 cm x 20 cm (22" x 16" x 8")

• Garment Bag : Dimension not exceeding 115 cm (45") and thickness not exceeding 20 cm (8") when folded

• Briefcase : 50 cm x 40 cm x 25 cm (20" x 16" x 10")

*Subject to local country specific requirements, aircraft cabin space and stowage availability.

Singapore Airlines (SIA), Cabin Baggage - Size And Dimensions.
Check in early and they might close one eye if you had exceeded the weight limit. ;)

Their quite relaxed so dont worry, on the flight home from heathrow i carried my NG 5070 which was more than 7kg already + my tripod bag , the still allowed, whats more was that i didnt take the flight on the a380.

thanks, but how early is early?

usually 2.5 hrs before flight is ok. But observed the new regulation on flight towards US. Not sure any new restriction on hand carry luggage?

thanks, but how early is early?
Typically only those carry-on baggages that seems extremely bulky are required to be weigh at the boarding gate. With a ThinkTank Urban Disguise 35, it seems you might just be able to sneak it in even if it is overweight with no problems whatsoever.

My two cents. :)

No problem.

A laptop is considered a personal item. And if you carry it in a separate sleeve (not huge bag), the size and weight is not calculated as part of the 7kg handcarry limit.

No problem.

A laptop is considered a personal item. And if you carry it in a separate sleeve (not huge bag), the size and weight is not calculated as part of the 7kg handcarry limit.

Thanks, I just had a look at the SIA hand carry free of charge regulations and went and bought myself a dirt cheap laptop case ($10) at Challenger heheh

I've carried a... 25kg camera bag, along with a 75 litres fully loaded backpack, and have no problems... :bsmilie:

I've carried a... 25kg camera bag, along with a 75 litres fully loaded backpack, and have no problems... :bsmilie:

You got lucky. Flights to places like Londo, LAX or SFO are usually very packed, and they give less leeway.

Either that or you are too handsome... LOL

Last edited:
You got lucky. Flights to places like Londo, LAX or SFO are usually very packed, and they give less leeway.

Either that or you are too handsome... LOL

I was leaving from LAX at that time... it might be because there was a long line, so they didn't check. But then again, I've never ever been to an airport where they'll check the weight of your hand-carry items.

All I can say is that you got lucky, and that it may not happen all the time...

Cheers

To be perfectly honest, it totally depends on the airline, the airport (yes, the airport), how full the flight is, etc.

The laptop not counting thing is, sadly, a myth. By that I mean, you're not going to be able to saunter through any airport you like and state that it doesn't count towards your 7kg/1pc/size restrictions. You might at some, you won't at others.

Some airlines explicitly state that exceptions can be made for expensive/fragile items (Emirates take a bow), while others are particularly annoying (best I not name them :p). I've seen budget airlines specifically state 10kg while full fare airlines insist on 7kg.

As yet, I've not seen weight screening of every individual passenger's luggage (size screening is more common), although I have seen spot checking. Doesn't mean it won't happen.

And yes, US flights are generally more tricky, or so I understand anyway I've not had the pleasure of a US flight since 911.

Any idea how to bring an iMac 24" ?
I need to bring 2 units of iMac 24" and had no idea how to bring it in

Some said they've been doing it with original box and bring it in the cabin
while others recommend using iLugger,
but CS from iLugger mentioned that 21,5" iLugger still okay, but they are not sure
with 24" iLugger because it is too big

I'll be making my way back to Los Angeles tomorrow morning, and I've been wondering if Singapore airlines will allow the following for hand baggage: (Economy class)

ThinkTank Urban Disguise 35 with Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70, 80-200, and a few light accessories.

Plus a 17" laptop sleeve with a 17" macbook pro unibody.

Total weight would be 7-10kg.

The bags aren't big at all, they're within size restrictions and I certainly won't be looking like I'm struggling to carry the stuff. I've generally never had problems carrying this stuff on American flights, but I have no clue about Singapore airlines.

Are they relaxed about it? Please share your experiences.

Thanks in advance

Just returned from CES via Los Angeles on SQ last month. Had a 7 million dollar home (packed with my body, lenses and other accessories), a m4400 mobile workstation (with backpack) and a smaller carry-on filled with my psp, kindle and others last month. Had no problems on SQ. They only problem I had was the others with their huge 20"-23" luggages filling the overhead bins above my seat.... I had to stow my stuff in the bins few seats away from my one. ZZ...