Singapore (9-12th August) . Need Suggestions

soamz

Aug 1, 2012
India
Hi..
Im going to Singapore for a small vacation and Im a professional photographer, who does street, travel, portraits or strangers, beaches, sunsets, lanscapes and long exposures, city scapes, etc.:)

I already have my places short listed. I will be staying in the Lorong 14, Geylang area.

I wanted to know few things :

1. Can we buy 48 hours validity MRT card from the airport ? How much does it cost ? Is it unlimited travel with all MRT routes ?

2. Does MRT go from Lorong to Sentosa ? How much time ?

3. Do we need MRT trains or buses ? Is the pass valid for all ?

5. For nights after 10pm, what can do in singapore ?

6. If it happens, we are late night at any shopping malls (which are 24x7 ), then do we get MRT or cab back to our place Lorong anytime ?

Interesting that you chose to stay in Lorong 14, Geylang area :) Are you aware what that area is famous for? :p

btw, 9th Aug is Singapore National Day, you an take photos of fireworks if you are interested :)

1. Not sure about the validity card, but I did a brief search on google and found this.
The Singapore Tourist Pass

2. Think the nearest MRT is Kallang or Aljunied.
Lorong 14 Geylang

3. Refer to the link I posted for question 1 :p

5. After 10pm? You can walk around the area you will be staying in. It's quite an interesting place :)

6. You should be able to get a cab, but do remember to ask the cab driver to turn on the meter.
Taxi Fare, Rates & Charges | Singapore Taxi Cab Meter Fares, Rates & Surcharges | Taxi Singapore

Btw, "Lorong" is a Malay word which just means lane/street/alley... So if you need to ask for directions in Singapore, you need to say the full address Lorong 14 Geylang and you can't just say you stay in a Lorong :)

Welcome to Singapore and enjoy your stay here!

wow. lorong 14 is a pretty bad place for a tourist. how did u come about it as a choice of stay?

Ahhh, the travel agent is my country said, Its a good and cheap place to stay.

And what is bad there ?

We will be 2 boys going, so any problems ?

Ahhh, the travel agent is my country said, Its a good and cheap place to stay.

And what is bad there ?

We will be 2 boys going, so any problems ?

It's cheap because it's situated right smack in the middle of the red light district.

if ya going around after 10pm it will most certainly be interesting in the vicinity, just avoid really dark alleys. haha

if it's 2 guys there shouldn't be a problem. Just bear in mind that area is pretty dodgy. Which hotel ?

Ah dang, Im getting scared now, as we are new to that country :(

Im going to smack the head of the travel agent tonight.

And we are staying in Hotel Fragnance Pearl.

We were planning for city tour upto late nights for photography.

Do we get direct cabs from any part of the city , straight to our hotel door steps ?

I think, if that works, then we dont have to worry about the place.

Do we get direct cabs from any part of the city , straight to our hotel door steps ?

plenty of cabs around, no worries.

you can still walk around Geylang, it IS pretty interesting tho. Just take the necessary precautions.

Just take the necessary precautions.

Like ?

Sorry, I dont have any experience with such areas.

Like ?

Sorry, I dont have any experience with such areas.

Avoid dark alleys, try not to take photos of the working girls or their pimps. Also, don't shoot into houses, you won't know if those are brothels. It is also common for girls to grab on to you in some areas.

Just so you know, hotels in that area, including the one you staying in, are used for conducting business in the red light district.

Last edited:

Yes you will be able to get cabs straight to your hotel door steps, but the cab driver will likely smile and give u dirty looks after you tell him the destination. Hahaha. :bsmilie:

Yes you will be able to get cabs straight to your hotel door steps, but the cab driver will likely smile and give u dirty looks after you tell him the destination. Hahaha. :bsmilie:

Damn, looks like Im losing my image . Im surely going to kill that travel agent . I wish, the ticket was refundable :( Im stuck! Damn.

It is an interesting place and not dangerous if you behave. The other side of the red light district is full of life and good cheap food. Location wise it is close to the city. Closest mrt station would be either aljunid or kallang. Taxis are not really expansive too.

There are several photo outings going on, do join us if you wish. Gardens by the bay is newly opened and a beautiful scene at dusk.

It is an interesting place and not dangerous if you behave. The other side of the red light district is full of life and good cheap food. Location wise it is close to the city. Closest mrt station would be either aljunid or kallang. Taxis are not really expansive too.

Have to admit that food is awesome in that area

Geylang isnt that bad.

in fact it's safer than other parts of Singapore because police patrols that area frequently ( mostly for illegal street hookers)

My girl-friends from hongkong book themselves into the same hotel without knowing that it's a red light district,

after i told them they were worried at first, but after the first night they walked freely on the streets for the next 5days, visiting the durian stalls and food stalls every day after midnight

There are several photo outings going on, do join us if you wish. Gardens by the bay is newly opened and a beautiful scene at dusk.

How do I join you guys ?

9 Aug is our national day! welcome to Singapore to celebrate with us! =)

a famous 24/7 shopping malls would be Mustafa shopping centre, which is located near little india (a good place for street photography?)