Simple tripod weight capacity question

enewmen

Aug 4, 2010
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Hi all.

If I had a travel tripod with rated 15kg max load capacity and a ballhead rated at 20kg, can this easily hold a DSLR with a 400mm F/2.8 - 4kg lens?

I'm guessing the rated max load is much higher that what's comfortable in the real-world.

Ok thanks!

Hi all.

If I had a travel tripod with rated 15kg max load capacity and a ballhead rated at 20kg, can this easily hold a DSLR with a 400mm F/2.8 - 4kg lens?

I'm guessing the rated max load is much higher that what's comfortable in the real-world.

Ok thanks!
"hold" is one thing, but with a 400mm lens, you might also be concerned about ballhead creeping.
That is, you don't really want the composition to shift after you lock down the ballhead, do you?

As to rated weights, just take note that there isn't any accredited organization that verifies such claims. I can just as easily claim that my DIY ballhead (assuming I made such a thing) can hold 50kg.

"hold" is one thing, but with a 400mm lens, you might also be concerned about ballhead creeping.
That is, you don't really want the composition to shift after you lock down the ballhead, do you?

As to rated weights, just take note that there isn't any accredited organization that verifies such claims. I can just as easily claim that my DIY ballhead (assuming I made such a thing) can hold 50kg.

You are right. First it must be able to hold the weight with some
safety factor. Then the ball head must be precise and can be locked
where you want it without shifting. This will depend on the design
and locking mechanism of the ball head

Abdullah | www.PictureU.biz | Instant Photography for Events |

Hi.

Thanks for the comments!
From reading the posts, it seems a 15kg mount and 20kg ballhead is roughly the limit of what can hold a 400mm lens.
If creep becomes a problem, I may need a gimbal head.

so in summary it's one thing to read specs, and another thing altogether to go down to the shop and try out the ballhead with your heaviest setup :)

Hi.

Thanks for the comments!
From reading the posts, it seems a 15kg mount and 20kg ballhead is roughly the limit of what can hold a 400mm lens.
If creep becomes a problem, I may need a gimbal head.
gimbal head is a different animal leh...

It's designed to balance your set-up near the center of gravity, so that you can track (with decent accuracy) quick-moving subjects (eg bird in flight, etc).
I suppose with 400mm lens you ARE into birding ;)
then perhaps gimbal is the way to go ;)

From what i know, the rated weight capacity of ball head rated is based on perfect level situation. if tilted such as at 45deg, the weight capacity is 1/3 of the stated weight.

From what i know, the rated weight capacity of ball head rated is based on perfect level situation. if tilted such as at 45deg, the weight capacity is 1/3 of the stated weight.

Interesting fact :think: Did you do the calculation yourself with simple physics or ? Because i too am concerned with such issues.

Hi all.

Ok thanks!

It depends. Certain brands like to give a less conservative rating, certain brands are more kiasu and give a more conservative rating.

This may be overgeneralisation, but China brands tend to do the former, particularly the less well-known brands. That said, a lot of China brands are good, e.g. Sirui, Benro.