Simple hair shot portrait

andysim65

Apr 8, 2010
7678090980_7483b699d5_c.jpg
[/url] nikon d800 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 AF-D by andysim65, on Flickr[/IMG]

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
Is the shot too direct , too flat?

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
For this picture ,the key element is the hair style, hoping to achieve making the hair stand out in the picture.

3.Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
It was taken using D800 with 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 AF-D lens at iso100 85mm f11 1/125sec with 1 beauty dish on the right, 1 softbox on the left.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
i like the catchlight in the eye.

would like as many critique and comment from the experts. Thanks everyone in advance.

To me it looks a little underexposed. The picture is just screaming for a rimlight, it'll accentuate the hair more imo.

If the hair is the key element, then you should've zoomed in more and show less shoulder/body and give a little more headroom at the top.

A little photoshop work is needed to clean out the hair that is coming out. Her eyes are big and beautiful, and for me I think a ring-light here would simply be a winner.

Personally for me for this shot (2 point setup) I would just use a single ringlight on her (assuming i have one) and another one for the background/rimlight.

But that all being said, I really am just nitpicking right here and you couldn't argue that this is a bad shot.

7678090980_7483b699d5_cedit.jpg

tried to clean it up abit

Last edited:
i see a deer. in front of headlights.

To me it looks a little underexposed. The picture is just screaming for a rimlight, it'll accentuate the hair more imo.

If the hair is the key element, then you should've zoomed in more and show less shoulder/body and give a little more headroom at the top.

A little photoshop work is needed to clean out the hair that is coming out. Her eyes are big and beautiful, and for me I think a ring-light here would simply be a winner.

Personally for me for this shot (2 point setup) I would just use a single ringlight on her (assuming i have one) and another one for the background/rimlight.

But that all being said, I really am just nitpicking right here and you couldn't argue that this is a bad shot.

7678090980_7483b699d5_cedit.jpg

tried to clean it up abit

what i did is first underexpose the picture , than bring back the detail in lightroom, which i did not brighten enough, rimlight i do not have one, how i wish i have, i did have picture with the same amount of crop as you did , but i also don't understand why i prefer the un crop version, but your version is correct,
i did use photoshop to clean the stray hair , again not as clean as you did.
i fully agree with u , a ring light will be better.
personally your suggestion of the 2 rim light will be quite costly.

thanks for suggestion and comment.

I suppose what eleveninth means is that the flash is too head-on and strong?

Pardon me, but I really do find that exchange rather amusing. :sweat: :bsmilie:

now i understand , thank nitewalk.

can u please enlighten me where is the deer

"A person experiencing the "deer in headlights" syndrome often shows behavioral signs reminding those of a deer subjected to a car's headlights, such as widely opened eyes and a transcient lack of motor reactions."

"A person experiencing the "deer in headlights" syndrome often shows behavioral signs reminding those of a deer subjected to a car's headlights, such as widely opened eyes and a transcient lack of motor reactions."

thanks eleveninth for explaining.

Sorry... photo does not work for me.

Titled objective is hair shot. In the end, the unnatural expression of the model becomes the focal point of the shot. BTW.. where did she get the awful hair cut... (unless it's deliberated) the fringe is unevenly trimmed and higher on her left than right. Her bangs on the left is lower than the bangs on the right. :) And she expose too much chest.

limwsv said:
Sorry... photo does not work for me.

Titled objective is hair shot. In the end, the unnatural expression of the model becomes the focal point of the shot. BTW.. where did she get the awful hair cut... (unless it's deliberated) the fringe is unevenly trimmed and higher on her left than right. Her bangs on the left is lower than the bangs on the right. :) And she expose too much chest.

The hair style is do it on purpose , I am not a hair stylist so I can't tell whether is right or wrong and the chest part is I do it on purpose. Thank for the feed back.

somehow i find myself drawn to the model's lips rather than her eyes....so i think an unconventional crop (keeping lower part of the photo) might actually make a more interesting and mysterious photo.
7724993726_3685cc43eb_o.jpg

zaren said:
somehow i find myself drawn to the model's lips rather than her eyes....so i think an unconventional crop (keeping lower part of the photo) might actually make a more interesting and mysterious photo.

This is a good one , I never thought of that, very creative.

The eyes look like someone pinched her in the butt right at the moment you took the shot. Very unflattering and totally distracts from the hair. Once the eyes were cropped out (like Zaren did) then it improves 20x

Rashkae said:
The eyes look like someone pinched her in the butt right at the moment you took the shot. Very unflattering and totally distracts from the hair. Once the eyes were cropped out (like Zaren did) then it improves 20x

U guys really have very good imagination , Zaren crop is really cool , I like it.