Similar to Sigma 30mm f1.4 for Sony Alpha

dhalif

Oct 26, 2018
Hi everyone,

Im very new to photography and ive been taking pictures with a Sony a6000 with a sigma 30f14dcdn
i really like the pictures that came out of this but recently ive acquired my first full frame Sony a7 and im wondering if there is similar lens like this/and/or better?
I do alot of guitar/music photography and i really like bokeh images
Tips and Suggestions can really steer me into the right direction.. thank you!

I have attached some pictures so you guys can see what i really like :D !

ebmm1.jpg
guitars1.jpg
mia2.jpg
ta1.jpg
schecter1.jpg

30mm on the APSC a6000 works out to around 45mm equivalent field of view on a full frame camera like the a7. I'm not familiar with Sony lenses so I won't be recommending any of Sony's offerings, but I do think you can take a look at the Sigma 50mm f1.4 ART lens if you want something with a similar focal length. It's got pretty solid build quality on the outside and it performs well too. If you want (a near clinical level of) sharpness and don't mind the weight, the Sigma ART prime lenses are all pretty value for money.

Of course, if you don't mind not having autofocus, some quality optics can be had for substantially less than what the Sigma will cost you. Personally, I think the Olympus OM 50mm f1.4 and the Nikon 50mm f1.4 AI / AIS are some of the better manual 50mm lenses I've used that go to 1.4. I like using them over the Sigma ART lenses when autofocus and sharpness is not necessary. Ideally, you will want to shoot at f2 with these lenses which will offer depth of field similar to what you are getting on your 30mm at f1.4. Adapters shouldn't be that expensive, and together I think they can be had for a third or even a quarter of what the Sigma would cost.

There are, of course, many other options that I have not suggested. Zeiss makes an excellent 50mm f1.4 Planar and Voigtlander has an astounding 40mm f1.2 Nokton, but since I'm not you, I'll leave those for your consideration and discovery. Every lens above will vary in features, be it autofocus, weather sealing, aperture ring and are suited for different kinds of shooting situations.