Similar photos by different photographers?

HVB88

Dec 9, 2005
Just happened to see the Straits Times on 01-Apr-2011, section Life (Page C14).
The award winning photo "Going to Work" by James Chong is similar to Canon's Table Calendar 2011 taken by Jino Lee.

Photo by James Chong (Award winning):
http://smallaperture.com/wpa-open-winners/going-to-work/

Photo by Jino Lee:
http://www.jinolee.com.sg/Portfolio/Essence-of-Travel/8937160_X4Kyn/1/959414415_HFWPM/Medium

Any comments?

Just happened to see the Straits Times on 01-Apr-2011, section Life (Page C14).
The award winning photo "Going to Work" by James Chong is similar to Canon's Table Calendar 2011 taken by Jino Lee.

Photo by James Chong (Award winning):
http://smallaperture.com/wpa-open-winners/going-to-work/

Photo by Jino Lee:
http://www.jinolee.com.sg/Portfolio/Essence-of-Travel/8937160_X4Kyn/1/959414415_HFWPM/Medium

Any comments?

I suspect they are taken from almost the same vantage point and seconds apart - even the branches of the tree, the implement of the farmer etc. just too similar. Slightly different exposure settings and compositions though. The award winning one avoid the direct sun. Both are nice.

You alerted the both of them?

On closer scrutinizing of both of the picture, the 2 pictures are not the same a part from the exposure/light/crop/or with a wider angle lens.
Take a look at the tail far end water buffalo, one is straight down and the other is slight curved inwards. I personally prefer James Chong's shot.

on the closer look, both are different photos, but is from the same set up, should be a set up shots taken during a oversea photo trip.

On closer scrutinizing of both of the picture, the 2 pictures are not the same a part from the exposure/light/crop/or with a wider angle lens.
Take a look at the tail far end water buffalo, one is straight down and the other is slight curved inwards. I personally prefer James Chong's shot.

yup. you have to take a closer look to see the difference. James' photo is much nicer.

Are this pics consider salon shots?

I would rate it so too. I think we all recognise it when we see it but trying to word what is salon photography is a little harder.

"....Thus, when it comes to applied imaging - the circumstantial factors dictates. The unique oriental way of interpretation on supplementary factors like poetic scenes morning mists, sunset, human factors on expressions etc.. all came into effect. The emphasis is on beauty and atmosphere - with distinguishable titled images. ... ... ... In short, Salon is about the golden rules, contrasts, compositions and well titled - that what everybody says. ..."
reference: Salon is not for us...(sure ?)

If you know where to shoot, you can also shoot similar photo since the farmer has to go to work everyday. If you had a bad exposure or composition, you can always try again the next day. The farmer will still be there. =)

Alright, these are the conclusion:

- There are few photographers at the same place & time.
- One, submitted (sold) the photo to canon for the calendar.
- The other, submitted the photo to photo competition.

catchlights said:
on the closer look, both are different photos, but is from the same set up, should be a set up shots taken during a oversea photo trip.

Ya, a lot of photo groups hire the locals to pose for them.. But it could be that they are at the same outing at right place right time.

That said, I don't agree with the posed photo thing.

Come on, they are friends and they shoot together during the same trip. This shot they were both standing in a straight line like a firing squad firing away at the same subject with almost the same framing. Both pics are nice.

Google both their names and you will know they are good friends who go on trips together.

No need to overthink it.

Agreed, the photos are almost identical to be taken at different time/day. Unless shooting inanimate objects .... even if the human and animal retrace their steps everyday also not so identical .... there are too many variables here

Last edited:
despite the similarity, there are some subtle difference... 1 give away is the angle of the cow leg position... agree with daredevil123 that the similarity is due to the firing squad method... happens to me and some of my peers too :)

seemed to be taken a very short moment apart.
Prefer the one from James which gives a feeling of first light of the day..nice!

Last edited:
Akatsuki said:
despite the similarity, there are some subtle difference... 1 give away is the angle of the cow leg position... agree with daredevil123 that the similarity is due to the firing squad method... happens to me and some of my peers too :)

Yes. But somehow there will be people out there who think shooting in a straight line like a firing squad is not in line with the spirit of photography and breeds no creativity. Well, whatever. *shrug*

if they cannot accept it, then they should go photography trip alone. But they may bump into other photographers who shoot the same thing same time and submit the photos together for competitions.