Silm Cir POL + UV Filter = Stuck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyz77

Oct 16, 2008
I tried to combine my POL and UV filter and after a while, I'm not able to unscrew them! After trying several times, I manage to unscrew them but... i crack my POL filter and the best part is, I just bought it and it's a B+W KSM Silm POL.... :cry:

Does anyone encounter similar issue when combining the POL and UV filter?

Not common. Because usually folks here do not stack the CPL with UV filters ( why would u need to stack them anyway ) But wat a mishap u got :confused: U should have crack that UV filter instead!!

My Nikon slim polariser nearly got stuck on one of my lenses before :sweat:
But luckily with quite abit of effort, the thing unscrewed with no damage

Ryan

Go to those neighbourhood $2 shop and buy a piece of anti-slip mat, keep a small piece in yr camera bag, it comes handy when this kind of stuck situation occurs.

I only encounter this with cheap China made filters. The screw thread are not uniform while some aluminium rings can deform slightly, so handle with some gentle touch. For all filters, I never screw them tight.

The toughest combo is my slim tiffen UV with other filters. Its thread is shallow, thus it is difficult for add on filter to catch on.

When stacking, try not to screw them together tightly.

I tried to combine my POL and UV filter and after a while, I'm not able to unscrew them! After trying several times, I manage to unscrew them but... i crack my POL filter and the best part is, I just bought it and it's a B+W KSM Silm POL.... :cry:

Does anyone encounter similar issue when combining the POL and UV filter?
Normally you don't stack UV with CPL but if you must, I would suggest getting a set of filter wrenches 46-58mm & 62-77mm
https://www.adorama.com/FLFW.html
https://www.adorama.com/FLFWB.html

I bought two sets from Adorama on my recent NYC trip. I can loan it out if anyone has problem with stuck filters.

Hey I encountered this situation before too. However managed to unscrew it after hearing an advice to bring the camera out to somewhere hot...heat expands..hence easier to unscrew.. But by no way I meant heating it..juz outside where there's sun for a while..

The last I used the big black rubber band that we use ard the army helmet to have a better grip to unscrew :bsmilie:

The last I used the big black rubber band that we use ard the army helmet to have a better grip to unscrew :bsmilie:

thats a pretty good idea
clear.gif

just get a jar opener from home-fix it has multiple circular rubber grip to suit. It works well for me plus it does not leave nasty cloth threads.

This happens very often. Usually people accidentally cross-thread their filters resulting in the filter thread being damaged and the filter being stuck.

This happens very often. Usually people accidentally cross-thread their filters resulting in the filter thread being damaged and the filter being stuck.

Agree. To avoid such problem, whenever you fit the filter, try to gently turn the filter counterclock-wise until you hear the "click" sound ( these means the thread are properly engaged) then slowly tighten.

You can cut those bicycle innertubes and use to get a better grip in unscrewing filters

I encountered this before with my B+W slim CPL filter stacked on top of my B+W UV filter.

what I've learned is not to tightened the cpl. screw it on (clockwise) lightly and rotate the ring to use...also in clockwise method (only rotate the cpl filter in 1 direction)... when want to take out...unscrew the ring by using the rotating part, not the body of the cpl filter. it comes out fine all the time.

unscrew the ring by using the rotating part, not the body of the cpl filter. it comes out fine all the time.

Sorry to dig this old thread but my CPL filter was stuck on my B+W UV even after using cow strength and cloth to try to take it off. This piece of advice worked like a charm.

Hi

In situation when filters are not stuck onto the lens, you must not use force to lossen them.

- Dry you fingers and filter.
- Use fingers only, once hand grip the UV rim, the other CPL. Turn with "constant" light force in opposite direction but never crush the ring (exert a constant for per few seconds before increase slightly gradually). Be patient, as the turn force slowly increase, the filter will move eventually.

* Don't use finger force, it is the turn force. And get the directions correct first. Think of pulling a whisker from your chin. You pull it too fast and hard, it slips or breaks.

Sorry to dig this old thread but my CPL filter was stuck on my B+W UV even after using cow strength and cloth to try to take it off. This piece of advice worked like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.