Silly Question: Taking photos in the snow

eskesk

Sep 22, 2011
Hi, this is really a newbie question - but I have never actually taken any photos in the snow.

Going to the USA this winter, just wondering what precautions to take when taking photos in the snow.

1. Will snow melt on my DSLR? and cause it to spoil/become wet?
2. How to get rid of condensation?
3. Does battery get drained faster?
4. Do you need a snow or rain sleeve/umbrella or something else?

Will greatly any advice from the more experienced forum members here!

Go to "General Tech Talk", there's a sticky right at the top that is called: "Sticky: problems with dslr in extremely cold weather?"

But most importantly, use some basic common sense. Do you see photographers living in countries with snow constantly crying and complaining about snow killing their cameras? Do you see all those photogs with a snow sleeve?

Now, let's take it one step further, and try some very very basic logic: All of our DSLRs are designed in Japan. It snows in Japan. Our manuals do not mention that "In winter, use a snow sleeve". Therefore...?

Hi, this is really a newbie question - but I have never actually taken any photos in the snow.

Going to the USA this winter, just wondering what precautions to take when taking photos in the snow.

1. Will snow melt on my DSLR? and cause it to spoil/become wet?
2. How to get rid of condensation?
3. Does battery get drained faster?
4. Do you need a snow or rain sleeve/umbrella or something else?

Will greatly any advice from the more experienced forum members here!

Go to "General Tech Talk", there's a sticky right at the top that is called: "Sticky: problems with dslr in extremely cold weather?"

But most importantly, use some basic common sense. Do you see photographers living in countries with snow constantly crying and complaining about snow killing their cameras? Do you see all those photogs with a snow sleeve?

Now, let's take it one step further, and try some very very basic logic: All of our DSLRs are designed in Japan. It snows in Japan. Our manuals do not mention that "In winter, use a snow sleeve". Therefore...?

Here

The first thing I notice as a problem is the high possibility of underexposing your pictures due to the snow colour. White.