Silly qns: Left or right eye thru the viewfinder?

Left or right eye thru viewfinder?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkness

Aug 11, 2002
Visit site
Hot on the heels of silly qns: do you use your right or left eye thru the viewfinder? I know it's more natural to use your right eye, but I'm left master eye and it's a natural tendency for me to bring the camera up and use my left eye unconsciously. The problem is that my right cheek always "block" my right hand from holding the camera...

Any right or wrong way?

Just like the other post on "right hand above" or "right hand below" vertical grip, I don't think there's any real right or wrong here, as long as you use whatever seems most natural and comfortable for you. As you've mentioned, it's usually better to use one's master eye (just like firing a rifle in the SAF); personally, I like the fact that using your master eye (right eye for me) enables you to keep both eyes open (and hence reduce strain) while still being able to concentrate on the viewfinder image.

Having said that, it does seem that the placement of the shutter release button on camera bodies does tend to favour people whose master eye is their right one, which is a little unfortunate. :dunno:

heh, I am right master-eye, but I use my left, making the Eye DOFP impossible...
my reason is if I use my right the left eye wd be too bright for me, and I dun like to squint one eye..

Most cameras are designed for right-hand and right-eye use.

By looking through the view finder with your right eye, you have the left eye for general overall view of the surrounding. This is particularly useful when using longer or macro lenses when you are waiting for the subject to be ready. Furthermore, by opening both eyes and yet using the left eye's vision to "see", it avoids strain on the right eye.

If you look through the view finder with the left eye, then not only would the right cheek get in the way of the right hand gripping the camera, the right thumb may even poke into the eye.

Perhaps, this is a good justification to hold the camera with right hand over the top in the vertical (portrait) orientation, unless you want to use left eye in that mode !

Originally posted by laokayu
Most cameras are designed for right-hand and right-eye use.

By looking through the view finder with your right eye, you have the left eye for general overall view of the surrounding. This is particularly useful when using longer or macro lenses when you are waiting for the subject to be ready. Furthermore, by opening both eyes and yet using the left eye's vision to "see", it avoids strain on the right eye.

If you look through the view finder with the left eye, then not only would the right cheek get in the way of the right hand gripping the camera, the right thumb may even poke into the eye.

Perhaps, this is a good justification to hold the camera with right hand over the top in the vertical (portrait) orientation, unless you want to use left eye in that mode !

which makes me one of them. Right handed but my left eye is my master eye... Can be quite a hassle at times...

den during NS did you guys shoot with ur left hand on the trigger??

or u stick to shooting with ur right hand???

Originally posted by Xeviouss
den during NS did you guys shoot with ur left hand on the trigger??

or u stick to shooting with ur right hand???

I still use my right hand to pull the trigger but use my "master" left eye to aim.

Originally posted by Wolfgang

I still use my right hand to pull the trigger but use my "master" left eye to aim.

Very awkward indeed.

I ma right master eye, right handed but I can't shoot (camera or rifle) without squinting. Find opening the left eye a distraction. Maybe that's why I am such a lousy shot with the rifle. I do have some problems framing a shot also and often my shots turn out off-centre due to my high astigmatism. Do contact lens help in such situations?

I read this with great interest becos I wanted to start a thread on this issue but never got round to it.

For me, I am right handed and right master eye. Hence, no problems with shooting both rifle and camera (eh...marksman ok...so don't play play...)

Of course, my wife is left handed and I presume left master eye. So it is really very difficult for her to use any camera becos they are meant for right handed pple. Very lun zhun if u know what I mean, the control and buttons on the right side etc...

If u are right handed but master eye is left, wld not the construction of the camera make it difficult for u to take aim ie.obstruction. I know in shooting a M16, if yr master eye is left and right hand to squeeze the trigger, wld not the butt of the rifle obstruct u since u have to put yr face more to the right than those aiming with their right eye?

:devil:

PS. Anyone knows if there is any camera built for left handed pple?

Originally posted by jeff chen
I read this with great interest becos I wanted to start a thread on this issue but never got round to it.

For me, I am right handed and right master eye. Hence, no problems with shooting both rifle and camera (eh...marksman ok...so don't play play...)

Of course, my wife is left handed and I presume left master eye. So it is really very difficult for her to use any camera becos they are meant for right handed pple. Very lun zhun if u know what I mean, the control and buttons on the right side etc...

If u are right handed but master eye is left, wld not the construction of the camera make it difficult for u to take aim ie.obstruction. I know in shooting a M16, if yr master eye is left and right hand to squeeze the trigger, wld not the butt of the rifle obstruct u since u have to put yr face more to the right than those aiming with their right eye?

:devil:

PS. Anyone knows if there is any camera built for left handed pple?

I seriously doubt that there are cameras that purpose built for left-handers. I mean almost everything is built for right handers, even your humble scissors cannot be used left-handed. Perhaps the only area where there is greater awareness of right/left-hand ergonomics is in the area of computer joysticks! Most of the modern joysticks are ambidextrous.

Actually my person opinion is that left handed person shouldn't have a huge issue with using the right hand for the shutter. After all it only involves a simple movement of the index finger to press a button... :D

Also, I think left/right master hand does not determine left/right master eye. I'm right handed by left master eye, so it's kind of awkward to shoot with the camera. But I have no problems using my right eye for shooting the M16 though... :embrass:

Originally posted by TME

Very awkward indeed.

I ma right master eye, right handed but I can't shoot (camera or rifle) without squinting. Find opening the left eye a distraction. Maybe that's why I am such a lousy shot with the rifle. I do have some problems framing a shot also and often my shots turn out off-centre due to my high astigmatism. Do contact lens help in such situations?

i'm right master eye, and right handed too, but only when using the M16. for all other situations, like using a camera, etc, i'm using my left eye and right hand. squinting in fact helps me to frame and focus my shots better, be it a rifle or camera.

doesn't everybody squint??:dunno: or am i the weird one?;)

Originally posted by darkness
Actually my person opinion is that left handed person shouldn't have a huge issue with using the right hand for the shutter. After all it only involves a simple movement of the index finger to press a button... :D

Also, I think left/right master hand does not determine left/right master eye. I'm right handed by left master eye, so it's kind of awkward to shoot with the camera. But I have no problems using my right eye for shooting the M16 though... :embrass:

In most cases, if u are right handed, then the left domain of the brain is stronger and so u tend to be better with the right half of the body loh! Hence most right handed are also right master eye loh.

Although shooting with a camera involves pressing the shutter, but the right hand must also hold onto the camera as the grip is on the right and the weight of the camera is usually biased at the grip, so if the person is right handed but left master eye, he may not be so steady when hanging on to the camera cos using the right eye to aim is unnatural - resulting in greater camera shake. This what I think lah cos I got friends who have some problems.

Originally posted by darkness

You are the weird one. :D

Hey I squint also leh! Can't help it. :D

I'm right-handed and left-eyed but uses my right-eye all the time for shooting (rifle and camera) :D

Got manged to get marksman.. :bsmilie: so don't need to be worried about using which eye for what, so long as you find a way that is comfortable and is not a hindrance for what you're doing.

oddly enough im right handed and right master eye but naturally just drifted to using left eye for viewfinder and its been like this all the while :bsmilie:

Originally posted by plainsman
oddly enough im right handed and right master eye but naturally just drifted to using left eye for viewfinder and its been like this all the while :bsmilie:

This is really weird!!! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.