Sillhoutte photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

wan

Sep 4, 2005
Hi guys, i'm jus a newbie wanting to learn on how photographer gets the silloutte photo for example a boy playing ball at the beach with the sun facing towards the camera. he appears totally 'sillouetted' or the scene where a couple standing wif the sun facing the camera n thay appears 'sillouetted'. kindly help me with this. thanks:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

wan said:
Hi guys, i'm jus a newbie wanting to learn on how photographer gets the silloutte photo for example a boy playing ball at the beach with the sun facing towards the camera. he appears totally 'sillouetted' or the scene where a couple standing wif the sun facing the camera n thay appears 'sillouetted'. kindly help me with this. thanks:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Get an exposure reading using the sky or sun(if it is not too bright). That should be a good starting point to get your subject dark enough. Do take note of the outline of the subject's shape, if you want your silhouette to be your focal point. You would want it to be recognisable. So the outline has to be strong. Try it during the evening, against the evening sun, it should be easier to get silhouette.

metering for the backgroud, use that for your exposure

DSC_0712.jpg

pls bear with my noob question. when we talk abt good silloutte photo, should the subject be in total darkness, only the strong outline can be seen or need to have some details as shown in catchlights's image?

kop said:
pls bear with my noob question. when we talk abt good silloutte photo, should the subject be in total darkness, only the strong outline can be seen or need to have some details as shown in catchlights's image?
IMO, that would be subjective to the type of effect that you want to achieve:)

JediForce4ever said:
IMO, that would be subjective to the type of effect that you want to achieve:)
agree!:)

usually i prefer -some- (even if slight) details in the silhouetted subject, but i really think it's personal preference.

71949336-L.jpg

71949384-L-1.jpg

Point your camera half between the object and the sun. Let alittle sun glare come. take the shoot..

Thom Hogan did share a unique technique in which he used a graduated ND filter to remove the details in the foreground. Instead of using the dark portion to dim the sky, he flipped it around to use the dark portion to dim the foreground. Maybe those of you with a graduated ND filter can try it out.

Hi Guys,

Can I meter the background/sky, AE-L and recompose?

shark said:
Hi Guys,

Can I meter the background/sky, AE-L and recompose?

Which system you use?

May have to choose spot metering mode first.

Scaglietti said:
Which system you use?

May have to choose spot metering mode first.

Thanks....use to have a Olympus prosumer class camera. Looking for a DSLR now.

catchlights said:
metering for the backgroud, use that for your exposure

DSC_0712.jpg

Hello Catchlights;

I like your picture very much, can you share with me how you make the sky so blue? At what time is it taken?

Silence Sky said:
Hello Catchlights;

I like your picture very much, can you share with me how you make the sky so blue? At what time is it taken?
Thank you.

I usually use tungsten or florescent white balance for twilight shots, for this shot, add the curve adjustments with masking for post production.

Hope this helps.

catchlights said:
Thank you.

I usually use tungsten or florescent white balance for twilight shots, for this shot, add the curve adjustments with masking for post production.

Hope this helps.

Thanks alot Catchlights, you are very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.