Silky water.

SamTang

Apr 29, 2012
Singapore
DSC_0300.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I'm just starting photography as a new hobby, so every critiques from composition, lighting, etc. are very welcome

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I wanted to share to feeling of the water flow.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I took this photo when I was cycling, feelng of taking silky effect.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
This photo was posted without any post-processing. It conveyed my true feeling. I hope someone can relate to that feeling through the photo

I note that you already have a few comments in your original post
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbies-corner/1085647-newbies-dslr.html

I'm also quite new here so can only give some basic advice
from your exif data it shows: F/22, 1s shutter speed and ISO100. 35mm focal length - 27
at 1s quite likely to get blur pictures due to shaking even with modern image stabilisation features
but because you want the 'silky effect' you have to slow down your shutter speed, so don't think you can avoid using tripod.
At F22 the picture will likely be soft due to diffraction effects

lighting wise the sky on the top right is blown... you might want to crop that out, or shoot at another time

composition wise probably have to give more thought about how to bring about the feeling... to me I'm not very creative and feel your 'feeling' is quite abstract so unable to offer much to help. Maybe you want to isolate your subject more, and not allow the surroundings to distract the viewer if they are not contributing

thanks for sharing
shoot more, think more, then shoot even more, unfortunately for most of us this is the way to learn ;)

You had a very challenging subject "emotion"-feeling, a picture w/o word and to express the emotion normally is the senior student in the college will consider this subject.

Before touching the topic of composition, you need interesting subject, for example waterfall with beautiful background that will catch people eye. For commercial products catalog of building materials they will use your photo but I know this is not what you want. If you are a Art Director, in concept how do you express this feeling of taking silky effect. Let's hear from you in words. :)

you could try to position waterfall towards the left a bit, expose more about the curve to create a longer view.
Also you need a filter for such shot.
hope these helps you.

you could try to position waterfall towards the left a bit, expose more about the curve to create a longer view.
Also you need a filter for such shot.
hope these helps you.

Thank for your advice. Btw what filter will be better?