SilkAir Destinations Photography Competition 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
photo copyrights will remain yours

here is the LINK

Hi Geotacs,

Thanks for sharing. The crappy entry fees means most amateurs/ hobbyists will not participate. So it'll be a pro only thingy.

And for their crappy fees, they are giving cheapo freebies. At least give away 5Dmii they will still attract many non-pros to participate.

Maybe that's why they're silkair....

The grand prize's camera of a G10 is a wee bit dissapointing. (though a fantastic camera that I already own)
Those accompanied travel package and airticket to nearby places also not very enticing taking into account that they charge for entry fees.:(

I hear you guys. You are not so happy with the prizes and the fees?

I cant make any promises, but let me see what I can do. Bare in mind, that airlines and other companies in the travel industry have lost millions currently and everyone has gotten a bit more tight with their money.

To the entry fees let me say this from our viewpoint: Eyes On Asia is helping to organize this with SilkAir together. The airline came up with some of the requirements and some of the prizes, from our side we organize everything the entry process, support and the photographic related bits, including listening to you ;-) and trying to keep you happy with your FAQs.

The decision to have entry fees has a few reasons:

1.) The obvious, we as organizing party try to cover our costs.
2.) Less obvious, but my observation from doing this many years as a photographer and judge now: If you don't have entry fees, people enter every image without thinking about entering a good quality picture. The mindset is: Never mind, its free... I just try.

We want you to enter with the mindset, that your images have a chance to be selected at least on the finalist level. The editing process is crucial for every photographer. By having an entry fee it forces you to select carefully. 5 dollars is low enough for EVERYONE to be able to afford this, it has nothing to do really if you are a pro or not. i love to see an "AMATEUR" win this.

3.) I really made an effort in getting an outstanding judging team together. You will not have often the chance that editors like the ones judging here are looking at your pictures. see this also as a chance to find out how far you can go.

We want the ones out there, who have great pictures give a chance to shine with a regional related competition, but on a hopefully worldwide level.

if you have more questions and remarks, please contact us directly through the support email on the contest site

yours

felix hug

Eyes on Asia Pte Ltd

Well said.

Over at another competition, there is this chap who is submitting photos (whether or not they make sense or are appropriate to the theme) is
sending tons of images to the competition.

I believe these kind of people are sending the wrong kind of message to photographers, especially the youngers. They might see such a behaviour. As a quick way to earn pocket money. That really defeats the purpose of photography don't you think?

Truth is, if you think your images is not worth spending $5 to submit, chances are tha
t it won't win anyway

This does not, however, mean tt images taken with pns won't stand a chance. End of day it is about how much effort and thought process hass been put into the picture. If my pns has got a good shoot of something that I feel might win, I will not hesitate to pay 5 bucks to join.

2 cents worth

I just wanted to suggest.

In my opinion, with submission fee, from a submitter's point of view, we might think like this:

1. If I submit and I do not win, I lose my $5 plus effort to produce the nice image.
2. Even worst if the price is not attractive, this worsen argument in point no. 1 above
3. The organizer is not genuine in the intention for having a competition. It might be seeking revenue from the competition especially if price is not attractive yet an entrance fee is charged, with 1000 entries:

1000 entries * US$5 = US$5k

Therefore, for a win-win solution, just a suggestion if the organizer can give back something in return for the submitters e.g. participation gift (it can be a badge/a pin, or access to certain photography resources, etc), or other things which cost is still acceptable based on cost/benefit analysis of the US$5. At least there is something in return for the $5. I believe SilkAir will already have intangible benefit from this competition like brand awareness, sales/promotion on destination awareness served by SilkAir, etc.

Last edited:
First of all thanks for your input. Its good to hear all voices.

Although I will keep some of the arguments in mind down the road, I don't agree with some of your logic and i like to explain why a bit more on some of your points.

1. If I submit and I do not win, I lose my $5 plus effort to produce the nice image.

I strongly disagree on this and here is why: The 5$ did not only buy you a chance to be seen by some of the finest editors (me excluded here ;)) and a chance to win some of the prizes, but also it could be a stepping stone to your photography. Your efforts on the image are clearly NOT lost, as I made sure you guys keep the copyright. (not a given fact in local organized competitions). The nicely produced image, as you call it above, can be used for anything else you see fit as well.

2. Even worst if the price is not attractive, this worsen argument in point no.1 above

I talked about this earlier already in short and I have seen contests with better and much worst price packages, but overall I think a camera worth 650 SGD, a holiday worth a couple thousand dollars and printed and exhibited for free is not a bad start after all. To win in a competition, it might be about the prices in $, but not only. I think you have to appreciate this as well.

Again, I understand that here people can disagree with my view, but I always felt copyright and exposure are equally important.

3. The organizer is not genuine in the intention for having a competition. It might be seeking revenue from the competition especially if price is not attractive yet an entrance fee is charged, with 1000 entries:

1000 entries * US$5 = US$5k

I wished the calculation is that easy :).. your 5k don't even cover the basics of it. (server space, security implementations, online payment system... not even counting our hours)

So, i hope we get more then 1000 entries, which is not certain at all. :D

No, seriously. There is no contradiction between trying to make a revenue and creating a genuine destination photography competition.

Does it work for all parties (SilkAir and sponsors, Photographers, us and the judges) on all levels? I like to think so, but I will tell you for sure once this is over and judged and i hopefully have looked at a couple thousand great images, had the exhibition and shook hand with the winner.

Yours
Felix

I personally feel that this is a very well organized contest, compared to the many contests proliferating all over the place.

First of all thanks for your input. Its good to hear all voices.

Although I will keep some of the arguments in mind down the road, I don't agree with some of your logic and i like to explain why a bit more on some of your points.

I strongly disagree on this and here is why: The 5$ did not only buy you a chance to be seen by some of the finest editors (me excluded here ;)) and a chance to win some of the prizes, but also it could be a stepping stone to your photography. Your efforts on the image are clearly NOT lost, as I made sure you guys keep the copyright. (not a given fact in local organized competitions). The nicely produced image, as you call it above, can be used for anything else you see fit as well.

I agree. We all know that 5$ is still an expense, but think of it as paying for a more organized contest. Control over the copyright is already a plus to the participants.

I talked about this earlier already in short and I have seen contests with better and much worst price packages, but overall I think a camera worth 650 SGD, a holiday worth a couple thousand dollars and printed and exhibited for free is not a bad start after all. To win in a competition, it might be about the prices in $, but not only. I think you have to appreciate this as well.

Again, I understand that here people can disagree with my view, but I always felt copyright and exposure are equally important.

I agree again. The camera is still a prize!! How big a prize to we all want to get ourselves to join a contest?

Besides, we're forgetting that the price includes a trip.

I wished the calculation is that easy :).. your 5k don't even cover the basics of it. (server space, security implementations, online payment system... not even counting our hours)

So, i hope we get more then 1000 entries, which is not certain at all. :D

No, seriously. There is no contradiction between trying to make a revenue and creating a genuine destination photography competition.

Yep, the calculation isn't that easy. Don't forget the cost of marketing and promoting the contest.

Does it work for all parties (SilkAir and sponsors, Photographers, us and the judges) on all levels? I like to think so, but I will tell you for sure once this is over and judged and i hopefully have looked at a couple thousand great images, had the exhibition and shook hand with the winner.

Yours
Felix

I agree that this is a win-win situation. Most of us complain about losing our copyright, poor judging, unclear rules, etc, etc. There's always something to complain, simply because we want everything to our advantage (free! free! free! big big prizes!).

I'll be personally joining this one. I don't mind the cost. I feel this is worth joining.

Thanks for the response Felix.

Quick update here:

We are going towards the deadline next month with this. The price has been slightly upgraded: The mentioned Canon G10 has been updated to the just recently released Canon G11. The classic high end compact camera is now better in low light and ha a turnable LCD display for challenging shooting angles overhead and close to the floor... or simply for self portraitures ;-)

rgds

felix

Frankly speaking, to say that money is tight because of the economic downturn and therefore partly justify the imposition of the entry fees is lame, the organiser, namely Silkair has vested interest in organizing the competition, ie....publicity, and the usage of great images submitted, which they otherwise have to pay pros to capture, are probably more than worth the investment to organize the competition. Plus most of the prizes are probably sponsored anyway....and the rastionale that a fees will ensure good entries basically is a win-win for the organiser. I don't mind paying if the organiser is not a commercial entreprise...or if the money collected goes to charity, like Canon Marathon. Fees should not be for covering cost if the organiser has vested interest in organising the competition.

Last edited:
Having seen numerous photography competition postings, i have never bother to participate a single one. Never at all. Total waste of time and money. Just read only.

a few friends are entering this....... which I think is good :thumbsup:

Last edited:
is the result out yet? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.