Silica Gel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heya,

I am wondering if would anyone know where can i get the silica gel.
I read that i can "cook" it but kinda lazy. If its not gonna be too ex, i'd
rather buy it.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Rick

Heya,

rather buy it.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Rick

OP at SLS carries it, believes some of the shops at SLS does too..

saw it at NTUC XTRA

rather buy it.
Saw it in some photographic shops, especially those caring for film photography. Quite cheap.
Don't try the reheating. The blue indicator in the gel is Cobalt Chloride, it's carcinogen. Nothing that I'd bring near my kitchen.

Heya,

rather buy it.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Rick

Hmm i saw/bought those from photolabs that can be found anywhere. Not everyone of them has it though. It's cheap! Arnd 4 dollars for one bottle can can last you for years depending on your usage. Don't cook them, i usually dry them using hairdryer if i wanna reuse them. Usually i just throw them away

Saw it in some photographic shops, especially those caring for film photography. Quite cheap.
Don't try the reheating. The blue indicator in the gel is Cobalt Chloride, it's carcinogen. Nothing that I'd bring near my kitchen.
really its cancerous?? but why are they available in the market? i saw those reusable ones in DIY shops... and honestly i bought ones of those and im reheating it.... good thing i read this one, thanks you may have saved lives! i'm never reheating it again!!!!

saw it at NTUC XTRA

YYeah saw it at the one NTUC extra at JP $3.50 or $4.50 i think.
They're selling a pretty small dry box for $25 lol..

Forget about silica gel as its really troublesome to monitor the humidity (unless u got a hygrometer). My bro used for about 2 months and decided to switch to electric. Wasted $20+ for the box.

If budget constraint, buy the gel and use a tupperware and make sure air tight! Save enough then invest in the electric cabi.

Electric dry cabi is about $120 for 30L. 5 years warranty. Can fit 2 bodies and 2 lenses, accessories and my pns. Now left with my bro's D90 and his lens after letting go of my 500d.

can i mentioned something? there a forumer who mentioned that there is this mini dehumidifier that is available in self fix stores. and i rem him saying he put it inside and the humidity level is maintained LOL. its reuseable. maybe u can consider that. just that it definitely cost much more than silica gel.

Basically they are not sweets and must not be eaten which is what it means :)

really its cancerous?? but why are they available in the market? i saw those reusable ones in DIY shops... and honestly i bought ones of those and im reheating it.... good thing i read this one, thanks you may have saved lives! i'm never reheating it again!!!!

As long as the gel is kept inside the small sachets or bags it's fine. It becomes dangerous if there is any impact that makes little particles (dust) breaking of which can easily find the way to food (e.g. thermal stress in the microwave and the next dish is your dinner). Proper usage assumed the stuff is not dangerous. But I guess re-heating in microwave was not expected in the first place.
Cobalt (II) Chloride - check right hand side: 'Hazards'

Silica Gel itself is non-toxic and is considered by the FDA to be safe to package with food. It is the Cobalt Chloride in the blue-to-pink indicating Silica Gel that is hazardous to your health. Good plan not to reheat it anymore! There is orange-to-green indicating Silica Gel that is non-toxic and completely safe to reheat and reuse.

If you are still looking for a good source of Silica Gel, check out www.silicagelpackets.com . They have a wide assortment of products from packets too canisters, to loose beads. Their indicating Silica Gel is the non-toxic orange-to-green. I regularly use several of their products and have been pleased with both the products and the service!

Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.