Silica gel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyspk

Sep 21, 2006
JURONG WEST
jspecialmoments.com
Waiting for next mth pay, gonna get a 30L dry cab
But for now, i'm using silica gel in a ziploc bag with holes.
My qns is, what's the amount of silica gel i need to put inside the ziploc in order to keep the camera dry and not too dry that'll make it crack?

thx in adv :)

You can't be sure about it. The only way to tell the humidity is by using humidity display/meter. Agak-agak you can put few spoon of silica gel into ziplock (with holes on ziplock).

Buy dry cab as soon as possible.

FYI, silica gel contain cobalt chloride for blue humidity indicator. Cobalt chloride known as carcinogen (cancer caused agent). There is yellow/orange silica gel which is not carcinogen, but when it is available in Singapore?

Regards,
Arto.

i think its alright to leave ur camera in a cool place. i tihnk fungus dun grow in a month so fast ;) but somebody pls correct me if im wrong heehee

I kept my film SLR + 2 lenses in a plastic container with silica gel for almost a year before I got a dry box.. The plastic container wasn't exactly air-tight but the cam looked okay to me..

:)

i think its alright to leave ur camera in a cool place. i tihnk fungus dun grow in a month so fast ;) but somebody pls correct me if im wrong heehee
It depend on your luck.

My father keep Canon SLR since more than 8 years ago in original box (without any silica gel) and forgot it. Few months ago I found it and to my surprise, it doesn't have any fungus on the lens :eek: . It is air-cond room, but not 24/7, at most 6 hours per day.

Regards,
Arto.

...FYI, silica gel contain cobalt chloride for blue humidity indicator. Cobalt chloride known as carcinogen (cancer caused agent)...
Hmm... u mean it is carcinogenic simply by drying the air? I am curious as to the fact that we would not be ingesting the compound nor the items kept with the silica gel, but merely just 'wearing' the item. How would that lead to it being cancer-causing?

Hmm... u mean it is carcinogenic simply by drying the air? I am curious as to the fact that we would not be ingesting the compound nor the items kept with the silica gel, but merely just 'wearing' the item. How would that lead to it being cancer-causing?
The silica gel itself is safe and not carcinogen (as you can see many no-color silica gel put in sachet inside medicine, food, etc.). The blue color for humidity indicator mixed in silica gel is carcinogen.

It is possible the silica gel crashed into small particle or dust and you may sniff it, or landed on your food, water, etc.

You might want to recycle silica gel by heat it up using microwave. And you heat up your food in the same microwave.

Being carcinogen doesn't mean it cause you cancer straight away. It is long process and may accumulate with other thing. Everyone have cancer cell in their body. Whether it is active or not. The possibility to become active is higher when you deal with carcinogen.

But like I said, it is better safe than sorry.

Regards,
Arto.

Bro, you can check out some of the photolabs. Think there is a product which seals the silica gel in a white plastic box and it can be heated using electricity (power points). It's safe and good. Think it's selling for about $20 though. I ever saw it at the photolab at The Adelphi.

can anyone tell how much silica gel i need to put in a 8li container Lock n Lock..?

i put a small amount (say 1tbsp.) and it turns pink the next day...

is it advisable not to open it often once i close the container...opening your box will make it turns to pink...?

are you using dry box with silica gel when you're not going to use your slr for quite a long time..to conserve silica gel..??

thanks...

Before i got my dry cabinet, my film SLR and digi compact were also kept in a ziploc bag (without any holes) and placed a small packet of silica gel. The gel was practically replaced once every week for over a year and until now it's still on gd condition, with no fungus whatsoever.

can anyone tell how much silica gel i need to put in a 8li container Lock n Lock..?

i put a small amount (say 1tbsp.) and it turns pink the next day...

is it advisable not to open it often once i close the container...opening your box will make it turns to pink...?

are you using dry box with silica gel when you're not going to use your slr for quite a long time..to conserve silica gel..??

thanks...
When you open the container contained silica gel, the humidity inside the container will become environment humidity. So the silica gel need to absorb humidity again, until silica gel can not absorb more humidity. It turn to pink to indicate the silica gel already can not absorb more humidity (since it is humid already). That blue or pink color (to indicate humidity) is come from Cobalt Chloride, which is known as carcinogen (cancer caused agent). The silica gel itself (the white one, without blue indicator) is not harmful (so you can see that type on food container).

Buy dry cab for peace in mind.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.