Silica Gel

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazmee

May 9, 2004
Sengkang
noorhazmee.com
Hi all,

I am looking for silica gel to put inside my camera bag. Is there anywhere which I can puchase them? I tried to fit a 'Thirsty-Hippo' into my bag but it wont fit. Hehe. A bit too much but I guess. ;p

Anyway what do you guys think? Is it advisable to put it inside my bag? Thanks so much.

Cheers
Hazmee

try photo shops. they usually have them in plastic bottles. use the amount you think is sufficient. in your bag? i assume camera bag? why the need?

Oh really? Dang... I should have thought about that. silly me... thanks anyway! Cheers!

reachme2003 said:
try photo shops. they usually have them in plastic bottles. use the amount you think is sufficient. in your bag? i assume camera bag? why the need?

Yeah, CP sells it at S$5 per 500g bottle. You can get empty "packet" (for boiling medicine) from chinese medicine shops that costs approx. S$3, and you'll have your handmade "thirsty hippo" ready. ;)

What I did last time was to get a pair of socks, pour some silica gel in it, and sew them tight. Works quite well. Be careful about using Thirsty Hippo, heard from someone on the forum mention before that it can cause the lens coating to peel, whether its true or not, better be safe than sorry :p

Actually, as long as you use your camera/lenses regular, you don't even have to put into a dry box all the time. The fungus problem is not as bad as you think. And if you do not even touch your stuff for a few years at a go, even dry box will have problem protecting it.

Thanks for the info guys! Will drop by the camera shop soon. I guess a few dollars wont hurt so much than a lens with fungus. Cheers!

hazmee said:
Hi all,

I am looking for silica gel to put inside my camera bag. Is there anywhere which I can puchase them? I tried to fit a 'Thirsty-Hippo' into my bag but it wont fit. Hehe. A bit too much but I guess. ;p

Anyway what do you guys think? Is it advisable to put it inside my bag? Thanks so much.

Cheers
Hazmee

Why would anyone need a 'Thirsty-Hippo' inside his/her bag???

XXX Boy said:
Why would anyone need a 'Thirsty-Hippo' inside his/her bag???
me thinks he doesn't have a dry cab or dry box, and that he is keeping his lens inside his camera bag. hence it becomes his dry box and needs silica. :)

just guessing. :)

hazmee said:
Thanks for the info guys! Will drop by the camera shop soon. I guess a few dollars wont hurt so much than a lens with fungus. Cheers!
btw, i was also told that carrefour's price for this is quite reasonable. i'm yet to check it out.

500g bottles of blue silica gel is readily gotten for $3.90/ bottle at many places. Can get cheaper if you buy more bottles. I bought 10 bottles @ $3.50 without bargaining much. FYI

i dont understand. why put silica gel in a camera bag when the camera bag isn't even air-tight?

u are wasting money only, imo.

mervlam said:
i dont understand. why put silica gel in a camera bag when the camera bag isn't even air-tight?

i put them into the sony aluminium case... just to protect the filters only... but it turns color damn fast... :think:

mervlam said:

my same thoughts as well, it does not serve its purposes at all :dunno:

try putting silica gel in old stockings (ask your wife/gf/mom) if they have some to spare. stockings are nice and flexible/soft and you can see the color of the silica gel without opening packets or white/balck socks. just a suggestion!

Feinwerkbau said:
500g bottles of blue silica gel is readily gotten for $3.90/ bottle at many places. Can get cheaper if you buy more bottles. I bought 10 bottles @ $3.50 without bargaining much. FYI

Hi there, where can I get it for $3.90?

There's this photo-lab just beside city hall MRT, which is linked to Guardian.
Forgot what's the name, but I think they are selling around that price.

Last time bought that in Harvey Noman.
I am wondering whether this thing is poisonous or not hor?

Status
Not open for further replies.