Silica gel qn

Status
Not open for further replies.

de5truction

Aug 28, 2005
mine changed colour to purple, is it possible to drive out the water and re-use those chips again?

bad idea... esp as the fumes may be poisonous.

Try using hairdryer.

i use a unused metal cooking utensil, like a shallow bowl over a very low fire stove. let the heat dry the moisture in them. stirring them over from time to time.

consider a price of a btl of silica gel bout 3.50 to 4 dollar.
a mess tin or other kind of utensil for 2 dollar.
cook ya silica gel and pray nothing else then steam comes out from it, priceless
absolutely cheapest thrill of the century!
Do try it & let us know it it's feasible.
btw, ya might want to try baking with baking powder.
it helps to absorb the moisture as well.

hope this helps.

yep tried the hair dryer, quite tedious about 1hr to settle about a 50pc cd-box worth of silica gel.. but well, it turned deep blue now.
thanks for all ur suggestions ;)

Do seriously consider a proper dry cabinet. Saves you the time & trouble in the long run.

de5truction said:
yep tried the hair dryer, quite tedious about 1hr to settle about a 50pc cd-box worth of silica gel.. but well, it turned deep blue now.
thanks for all ur suggestions ;)

How much power have u spend to dry up the silica. Do u think its worth the money and time. One bottle is about 3.5-4 dollar.

Have anyone try heating it up under the sun ? Jus an idea that com to my mind ;p

i bought the lock lock box yesterday. 4.5 l to house my fz5 and old sony p9.
den got a bottle of silica gel. ($4.50) and put into a sock (tied)

so now it's just nice. hmmm if i bought Wide angle lens i think i would get a proper dry box liao.

To better seal your box, it is better to apply a thin layer of oil on the seal.

i fry them using non-stick over a stove. no gas mask were used....:sweatsm:

I've been drying silica gel in my oven for years with no ill effect. Just pour them onto a flat tray, put them in the over with the heat set to over 100 degrees celsius and occasionally pull the tray out and stir the gel. Only water is removed from the gel.

You can also go to the hardware shop like Handi-Fix where they sell a device called ECO-DRY. It costs about $20 or less. It contains silica gel. There is a small window on the device where you can see the gels' colour. When the gel turns pink, you plug the device's two pin plug to a socket and wait for 8 hours. Internally it has a heating element that heats up the gel and makes it turn blue again. Very convenient.

amazingly, silica gels can take very high heat.
I tried to melt them, wanna make them stick together, unsuccessful. They remain solid on my frying pan...

I place all the silicon beads onto a metal tray with aluminium foil and place them in my toaster oven and let it heat up till the colour changes back. Try not to pile the beads too thick a layers. The thinner the layer on the tray and easier it is to get all the water out of all the beads without having to stir it around once in a while.

Works everytime for me all these years.....

Status
Not open for further replies.