Silhouette of a Bird

Shahmatt

Apr 29, 2008
Singapore
www.snapshotbasket.com
bird2.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?

I want to find out if public opinion matches my own. Or if I am totally off the mark.
Opinions on cropping, colour saturation/contrast/tone, exposure are also welcome.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

A feeling of motivation and calm.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Evening failing light. Cloudy skies.
I have done no post processing or cropping to this photograph.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I feel that the photo is motivating. I think the pose of the bird looks "hopeful". The soft leaves gives me the feeling of a gentle cool breeze and calmness.

Regarding the composition, I think the crop is too loose. There are too many distracting elements in the frame, the main subject (the bird in this case) is too small. The head of the bird seems to be angled at an awkward position, could have waited for the bird to position itself to a more pleasing posture before making the shot. That should give you a better feel of calm and comfort. :)

Doesn't work for me, too many distractions.
Might want to shoot from another angle or wait for the bird to get to a less clustered area.
Alternatively, give it a crop.

Don't work for me either.

Too many other shadows and silhouettes cutting into your subject. Making it a big mess of black shapes and lines.

The surrounding is too messy and distracting. Also, the silhouette of the surrounding leaves look sharper than the bird's, which looks soft in comparison, maybe the focus was not spot on? A tighter crop would certainly improve the shot.

Seems like many feel that the crop or composition is off.

Actually my original feeling was that the surrounding elements gives a border to the image. In addition, it also helps to give more depth.

If I was to crop it closer and keep it to the bird only then the image might look a little flat and less interesting.

Also the bird focus is all right, but the tail features show slight blur because they were moving as I took the shot. But I guess you can't win them all.

1. In what area is critique to be sought?

I want to find out if public opinion matches my own. Or if I am totally off the mark.
Opinions on cropping, colour saturation/contrast/tone, exposure are also welcome.
4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I feel that the photo is motivating. I think the pose of the bird looks "hopeful". The soft leaves gives me the feeling of a gentle cool breeze and calmness.

On top of what others have suggested, I think that since the picture is almost monochrome, not much can be said of color saturation.

Due to the colors (or lack of rather), it kinda gives me a dreary feeling. A 'hopeful' picture might have more vibrant colors, or where the bird's features are more prominent.

Hope you don't find my opinion too critical :sweat:

Seems like many feel that the crop or composition is off.

Actually my original feeling was that the surrounding elements gives a border to the image. In addition, it also helps to give more depth.

If I was to crop it closer and keep it to the bird only then the image might look a little flat and less interesting.

Also the bird focus is all right, but the tail features show slight blur because they were moving as I took the shot. But I guess you can't win them all.

A border/frame should enhance your POI not interfere with it. And your POI is not that interesting as well. In this situation I rather you use flash and capture the bird in full color (and light).

This image will be flat and not too interesting with or without the elements of the "border".

You might want to read up on these links and work on your composition:

Composition
http://www.amateursnapper.com/photography/10-top-photography-composition-rules
http://www.digital-photography-school.com/digital-photography-composition-tips
http://www.digital-photography-school.com/10-more-quick-composition-tips-illustrated

your framing is not good enough.

your tree branches and leaves is all over the place, very messy. not ideal to use this as your frame.

if I don't set my exposure right I get this type of pictures and I delete it immediately, that is me though.

your framing is not good enough.

your tree branches and leaves is all over the place, very messy. not ideal to use this as your frame.

addon.

good examples of framing:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6832909 (see photo #1)

you must make use of the leaves/branches and frame it in a way that leads your viewers eyes to the subject.

now u know why i say it's messy? compare yours and the example i found in the link?

addon.

good examples of framing:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6832909 (see photo #1)

you must make use of the leaves/branches and frame it in a way that leads your viewers eyes to the subject.

now u know why i say it's messy? compare yours and the example i found in the link?

i agree with sinned79..the image in the link is a good use of the leaves/branches to frame the subject.

to me there's no calm and the surrounding leaves and branches are very messy. rather, the leaves look to me like sharp spears pointing at the bird.