Silent Wave like in Tokina ???

fatBozZ

Jun 5, 2010
Hi bro / Sis,
I am considering to buy a Ultra Wide Angle Lens

Looking At Nikon AF-S 10-24 mm DX VS Tokina AF 12-24mm F4 • AT-X 124 PRO DX II

1) I am just wondering whether the tokina's AF will be the same feeling as the nikon's Silent Wave motor ?
2) And when the lens are doing Auto focus does it have any external movement ?
3) And Will the shortga eof 2mm make alot of different ? coz is double the price for nikon

Any bro used the Tokina before ??

:) Cheers

Last edited:
1) No idea because I never own these two lens yet but I'm also looking for one.
2) Both lens don't have any external movement when doing AF.
3) The 2mm difference will become 3mm on your 1.5 crop-factor camera D90. It would be significant for some people, but this is just personal preference.

To add on, the Tokina one is made in Japan but the Nikon one is made in China. Also the price is not double. Just checked with CP few days ago that the Tokina one is selling at $939 due to appreciation of Jap Yen. Also checked with MS last week that the Nikon one is selling at $1350.

Hi bro / Sis,
I am considering to buy a Ultra Wide Angle Lens

Looking At Nikon AF-S 10-24 mm DX VS Tokina AF 12-24mm F4 • AT-X 124 PRO DX II

1) I am just wondering whether the tokina's AF will be the same feeling as the nikon's Silent Wave motor ?
2) And when the lens are doing Auto focus does it have any external movement ?
3) And Will the shortga eof 2mm make alot of different ? coz is double the price for nikon

Any bro used the Tokina before ??

:) Cheers

1) No idea because I never own these two lens yet but I'm also looking for one.
2) Both lens don't have any external movement when doing AF.
3) The 2mm difference will become 3mm on your 1.5 crop-factor camera D90. It would be significant for some people, but this is just personal preference.

To add on, the Tokina one is made in Japan but the Nikon one is made in China. Also the price is not double. Just checked with CP few days ago that the Tokina one is selling at $939 due to appreciation of Jap Yen. Also checked with MS last week that the Nikon one is selling at $1350.

Thanks bro ... in that case from the stats u send me ... is more sensible to get the Tokina rather than Nikon right ?

Pay cheaper yet is made in japan 3mm isnt that much to me .. coz i am not pro ... i just need a ultra wide for landscape in Singapore ..

Some claimed that the Nikon one has better optics to handle flares and CA than Tokina. I don't know yet because I never try these two lens. You cannot trust all until you try the lens yourself.

There are other two alternatives:

1) Nikon 12-24mm f/4, made in Japan, $1560 as quoted by MS last week
2) Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, made in Japan, $910 as quoted by artworkfoto

I'm not considering Sigma because personally I have no confidence on their quality control. Depend on your price vs quality tolerance, I can't advise which one is the best for you. Maybe you can get a cheaper one from the 2nd hand market. Sell it next time if you find that it is not what you want. The loss won't be so significant compared to buying a new one.

If you're just using it for landscape around singapore, why does it matter to you if it uses an in-lens focusing system like the Nikon silent wave motor?

15 mm vs 18mm after conversion is a 20% difference

If you're just using it for landscape around singapore, why does it matter to you if it uses an in-lens focusing system like the Nikon silent wave motor?

Is just human .... Human beings are like that ... External Movement makes me feel uneasy ..

i also dun know why :dunno:

Verdict: TOKINA is the way to go ....

Is just human .... Human beings are like that ... External Movement makes me feel uneasy ..
i also dun know why :dunno:
Get these gut feelings under control and replaced by rational thinking. Can save you a lot of money. Similar to those who need a red ring around their lenses to feel well ..

Yes, after all, you need to find a balance between price and quality of lens, unless you have a lot of money dunno where to spend.

Hmmmmm ... After testing out Both TOKINA 10 - 16mm / 12 - 24mm

10-16mm f2.8 Perform better in low light ..

Verdict: 12 - 24mm f4 Confirm

:bigeyes:

Hmmmmm ... After testing out Both TOKINA 10 - 16mm / 12 - 24mm

10-16mm f2.8 Perform better in low light ..

Verdict: 12 - 24mm f4 Confirm

:bigeyes:

I think you mean 11-16mm/2.8

there is no 10-16mm/2.8

Yeah, aperture f4.0 will struggle at low light. But it depend on what purpose you buy the wide angle lens for. If shooting landscape at night, I'll usually use tripod, so f4.0 is not an issue.

Depending on what you shoot too. If you have a external flash, shouldn't be an issue.

FYI, tokina 12-24 F4 has two version, one without motor and one with motor.

I'm using the first version without motor. It will focus faster on my D90 :)

Do try out the lens before you purchase.

Depending on what you shoot too. If you have a external flash, shouldn't be an issue.

FYI, tokina 12-24 F4 has two version, one without motor and one with motor.

I'm using the first version without motor. It will focus faster on my D90 :)

Do try out the lens before you purchase.

Motor ?? i thought is in-lens focus ?? " IF --> Internal Focus System

:dunno:

:dunno:

The focus motor can be in the lens, or it can be the camera focus motor focusing the lens via screw drive. This depends on the lens, and for Nikon, the body too (D40/60/3000/5000 have no in-body motor, so screw-driven lenses are manual focus only)

Internal focus means that during focusing no external part (front element, lens barrel) is moving (rotating, extending). Focus is achieved by moving internal parts (lens group). How this is achieved (either by lens-internal motor or in-body motor) is irrelevant.