'Silent' Orchard Road Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

firestone

Mar 2, 2003
West
www.redmonsoon.com
Hi guys,
I'm a PS guy and just got this idea for a photo.
You shoot I compose.

"Shot of Orchard rd totally devoid of ANY people/cars."

For eg,
So if there're kiosks, they'll stay but even their owners will be removed.

How? Just multiple shots cut and paste.
If this sounds fun,then just let me know! :)

Of course yourshots must be reasonable quality lah .

Mmm... I think use tripod and shoot the same location a few times to compensate for the moving people, traffic, etc.. layer them to clean out
the unwanted people, traffic, etc...

:think: :think: :think:

sulhan said:
Hiee...

you can use a ND 400 and do a super long exposure.....even walkin people will disappear.....

rgds,
Sulhan

yep, ND filters are great to remove passing traffic.

sulhan said:
Hiee...

you can use a ND 400 and do a super long exposure.....even walkin people will disappear.....

rgds,
Sulhan

Does it work even when the traffic volume is high and there's lots of reflected light on the vehicles? I know it works for people... ;p

Ashleyy said:
Mmm... I think use tripod and shoot the same location a few times to compensate for the moving people, traffic, etc.. layer them to clean out
the unwanted people, traffic, etc...

:think: :think: :think:

Hmm,thats what I thought, but I've not considered using a long exposure!cool!

Interesting...don't even need photoshop hur?

firestone said:

ND-400 is quite a waste to use just once, you can try a X-Ray sheet (or 2) in front of the lens.

firestone said:

I did think of long exposure.. but not with a ND filter...

Let's say if we shoot in the daytime.. it's too bright to reach really long enough exposure... using a ND filter can help to increase the time.. But I'm not sure if it works if there's reflected light from the vehicles or not..

Basically the same principle as when I do long exposure during nite photography.. it' removes the vehicles but the light from the head lights or tail lights are still visible... ;p

Go to Orchard on Sunday morning before 9am. No man, no traffic, can stand in the middle of the road and take as well. Lighting not that bright yet, so long exposure can do too.

ive tried a long exposure shot at orchard sometime back. it was ard 4 or 5pm but it was still too bright.
ive played ard wif shorter shutter times for a blurry crowd (1/2s), added ND 4 filter, iso was at minimum, im not sure wat my aperture was. it was a long time back.
maybe my tecnique was qrong. if so..... how do u go abt doing it?

now back to topic, ive actually done dis kind of shots a couple of times. think multiplicity. qould be intereting to see wat else uve got in mind

get a lens that gives your f32 and a flim that gives you iso25... then combine with black-card technique :think: :dunno:

go to orchard road 3 am on a weekday, most of people sleeping already. I don't know about the lights though....

I came across a book on a similar project carried out by a japanese photographer in Tokyo.

The title is "Tokyo Nobody".

hmmm... very interesting indeed. haven't thought of this concept before.

hold the traffic lah...just liek they did in that movie (cant remember the name: the one about some virus spreading in london) :bsmilie:

i would be interested in this, if u guys ever come up with the idea on how to do it! :D

0655 hrs on a Sunday morning.Get two fellas.One to keep a lookout for traffic, the other to prepare your tripod.

The streetlamps should be off by then.Yet its not too dark.Lengthen your exposure and PS.

If you want to take one with the street lamps..go there around 0500hrs.Then you can combine both shoots in a matter of hours. :)

LazerLordz said:
0655 hrs on a Sunday morning.Get two fellas.One to keep a lookout for traffic, the other to prepare your tripod.

The streetlamps should be off by then.Yet its not too dark.Lengthen your exposure and PS.

If you want to take one with the street lamps..go there around 0500hrs.Then you can combine both shoots in a matter of hours. :)

Yr suggestion if okie but I think the thread originator wanted to include the shops and kiosk that are open instead of showing a place with everyplace closed..

I definitely agree that shooting orchard with all the shops, kiosk, ice cream stalls yet no people is very interesting.

vortex said:
hold the traffic lah...just liek they did in that movie (cant remember the name: the one about some virus spreading in london) :bsmilie:

28 days?

Status
Not open for further replies.