Silence before a monsoon storm

andysim65

Apr 8, 2010
8012783536_16dd61c6c8_b.jpg
[/url]

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
Any form of critique & comment is welcome.

2.What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To improve my landscape photography skill by getting critique and comment from the expert.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?(physical conditions/emotions)?
This picture was taken in a very hurry situation , cause the rain start to pour after i took this picture, was taken with Nikon D800 16-35mm F4 lens ,ISO100 16mm F8 1/320 sec, process in hdr with one photo only.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
Hope the HDR and Composition work, due to the picture was taken in a hurry, was worry that the composition may be poor.
Thanks everyone in advance.

I find the composition very pleasing. The colors fit just right to the mood you're capturing. I would like to see more of the ocean though.

Sgdevilzz said:
I find the composition very pleasing. The colors fit just right to the mood you're capturing. I would like to see more of the ocean though.

Thanks for compliment , frankly speaking I don't think I have the time to think too much, the rain is coming, haha.

andysim65 said:
[/url]

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
Any form of critique & comment is welcome.

2.What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To improve my landscape photography skill by getting critique and comment from the expert.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?(physical conditions/emotions)?
This picture was taken in a very hurry situation , cause the rain start to pour after i took this picture, was taken with Nikon D800 16-35mm F4 lens ,ISO100 16mm F8 1/320 sec, process in hdr with one photo only.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
Hope the HDR and Composition work, due to the picture was taken in a hurry, was worry that the composition may be poor.
Thanks everyone in advance.

I like this. The HDR treatment is fine. Just a small nitpick: would be even better if the entire black cloud on the left is included instead of half. Otherwise, I thought the alignment was ok, exposure well controlled and the HDR looked natural.

On second thought and re-looking at the scene, I may have gone forward a little and slightly to the right and include the dark clouds. The sand at the bottom of the frame could be left out anyway.

Last edited:
nitewalk said:
I like this. The HDR treatment is fine. Just a small nitpick: would be even better if the entire black cloud on the left is included instead of half. Otherwise, I thought the alignment was ok, exposure well controlled and the HDR looked natural.

On second thought and re-looking at the scene, I may have gone forward a little and slightly to the right and include the dark clouds. The sand at the bottom of the frame could be left out anyway.

Your suggestion is really good , thanks for giving yours thought.

ah, i like this. the swaying tree tops gave a feeling of strong wind blowing through.

ah, i like this. the swaying tree tops gave a feeling of strong wind blowing through.

ha ha is really very strong wind , and the rain start to pour very fast, cant help it cause we are in one of the island of Indian ocean.
Thanks for dropping by.

ha ha is really very strong wind , and the rain start to pour very fast, cant help it cause we are in one of the island of Indian ocean.
Thanks for dropping by.

actually i would prefer a slightly higher angle to show more of the beach chairs.

cause' the current one seemed to merge all the chairs into one single leading line.

i guess it cannot be helped as you were on the beach which is significantly lower than the platform.

hmm, just my 2 cts.

actually i would prefer a slightly higher angle to show more of the beach chairs.

cause' the current one seemed to merge all the chairs into one single leading line.

i guess it cannot be helped as you were on the beach which is significantly lower than the platform

hmm, just my 2 cts.

it will be wonderful if i can have higher angle as u mention, but in real situation is difficult. It really good that u point out , i will apply it in the future for similar shot
thanks for suggestion.

Actually, I would have liked it if the dark clouds are more prominent...

SkyStrike said:
Actually, I would have liked it if the dark clouds are more prominent...

Yes it would perfect if I could include more dark clouds, agree with you. Thanks for your idea.

I would actually prefer to have the shot taken while standing on the deck. I feel that the deck, coupled with strong geometric distortion in the foreground takes away too much attention. This is a scene which needs to be read in its entirety. Yes, more storm clouds would be good. Could have moved a few steps to your right. The HDR looks ok but I'd prefer a bit more contrast though.

Kit said:
I would actually prefer to have the shot taken while standing on the deck. I feel that the deck, coupled with strong geometric distortion in the foreground takes away too much attention. This is a scene which needs to be read in its entirety. Yes, more storm clouds would be good. Could have moved a few steps to your right. The HDR looks ok but I'd prefer a bit more contrast though.

I did have a shot taken standing on the deck , that shot is a sunset picture , totally difference theme from this , I actually like the platform with the line going in both direction, moving to the right will improve the composition , more contrast is a interesting idea , Thanks very much for dropping by and giving your idea.

would prefer greater contrast and stronger colours here, to give the image a greater sense of the impending storm...perhaps also take a step or two back to take in more of the storm clouds and swaying palm trees.
8015710299_4f712c2975_o.jpg

would prefer greater contrast and stronger colours here, to give the image a greater sense of the impending storm...perhaps also take a step or two back to take in more of the storm clouds and swaying palm trees.
8015710299_4f712c2975_o.jpg

great contrast , giving it a more dramatic feel, yes few step back will be nice. Thanks for showing us another idea how the picture should be.[QUOTE[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It clear make the picture stand out. Maybe next time try a panno shoot, cover more of the dark cloud. No harm shooting more and then stitch it up. definite will give more meaning to the title " Silent before the storm" :)

Agreed. It clear make the picture stand out. Maybe next time try a panno shoot, cover more of the dark cloud. No harm shooting more and then stitch it up. definite will give more meaning to the title " Silent before the storm" :)

The problem is the rain came fast and furious , and i am with my wife , i don't want her to get wet, after taking the picture ,we quickly ran for cover,i don't think i have a chance to take pano shot.
Thanks for suggestion , it can be implement in the future.

Last edited:
loved the composition.. ofcourse, inclusion of more dark clouds in the frame could have been better. but pretty good for a quick snap.
the edit by zaren is good, but i feel its a little too dramatic. The contrast would definitely add that zing to the pic. but maybe a little notched down than the one edited by zaren.

sanki said:
loved the composition.. ofcourse, inclusion of more dark clouds in the frame could have been better. but pretty good for a quick snap.
the edit by zaren is good, but i feel its a little too dramatic. The contrast would definitely add that zing to the pic. but maybe a little notched down than the one edited by zaren.

I agree with u too , thanks for dropping by and giving your suggestion.