SILA Photo Competition 2012

SILA Photo Comp

Aug 6, 2012
Singapore
Dear ClubSnap

Singapore Institute of Landscape Architects (SILA) is a non-profit organization which represents the Landscape Architectural profession in Singapore.

bnr_photo.jpg

We would like to invite your members to take part the above event. This photography competition will be displayed alongside with Registered Practices (RP) works, themed "Evolving Landscapes". These events will be held in conjunction with the ArchiFest 2012, on 18-21 October 2012. ArchiFest has attracted 40,000 visitors annually.

Please visit sila.org.sg for more information.

Thank you.

Yours Sincerely,
Emily Lim
Council Member
SILA Council

Hello, I would like to clarify something based on the T&Cs:

I have to pay the organization to take part in the competition.

In return, the organization can reproduce my works without my permission (stated) AND need not pay me for it.

Is that right?

Could you also be specific about the prizes? "Win camera, lens and other attractive prizes" is very vague.

Last edited:
SILAPhotographyCompetition2012.jpg

Boi swee leh..

"In return, the organization can reproduce my works without my permission (stated) AND need not pay me for it."

What happened to those non-winning entry? Will it still have the same rules?

I like the poster quote:

"You don't take a photograph, you make it" - Ansel Adams

And further below:

"We take your photographs, we reproduce it" - ..... lol

Some lazy incapable organizations just trying to make others look like "water-fish", thought they are the only smart people who get free labor, free promotion, free photos, free professional service, then convert these freebies to make more money (millions), everything just to save cost and look good for their sell-fishness.

Furthermore the T&C make the "volunteers" & payee no chance of complain.

Boi swee leh..

"In return, the organization can reproduce my works without my permission (stated) AND need not pay me for it."

What happened to those non-winning entry? Will it still have the same rules?

Just to highlight, a lot of competitions have the same rules, to be fair. This includes the recent NGC-Capitaland Building People competition supported by CS:

15. By entering the Competition, you irrevocably agree to the Promoters (either individually and/or jointly), using the following, without compensation, in perpetuity, in any country of the world, in any manner and in any media or format now know or later devised, for any purpose whatsoever:

your name and likeness;
your answer to the Competition question; and
the photo and photo caption you submit as a part of your entry into the Competition.
(click T&C at bottom right here: https://www.natgeo-capitaland.com/aboutcompetition.php# )

I don't quite agree with this policy, so unless only small res is required I generally do not participate. ;) Some even follow up after that to ask for high res photographs for exhibitions even if you did not win (with no renumeration indicated). That's fine as not everyone is so particular, but there is no need to take the tone in your notification and requests to make it sound as if a huge favour is being done to the photographer that you are requesting the higher-res image from.

In any case, always read the T&C of the competition and ensure that you are comfortable. Cheers.

SILA Director: Now all of you managers gather here today for a purpose, in rebuilding Singapore's landscape into an art and cultural city, URA has a few big tender projects ready for our bid.

SILA Architect: Its a good news Mr.Director, we can expect better bonus and pay rise next year, i will get ready my team to pull out some plans and enhance on them, but now can we hear from the PR & Marketing managers? We need some packaging and promotion for our plans.

SILA Marketing Mgr: Our chief art manager just left and we are running many projects with not enough resources.

SILA Director: Marketing Mgr you and PR mgr better workout something fast on my table by end of Q3 before i update your variables remunerations.

SILA PR Mgr: Don't worry boss i have an ideal, lets learn from Capitaland, they held competitions to solicits many good photographs for their projects, why not try that to help ease our resource since we have tight schedule to the URA tenders.

SILA Marketing Mgr: i fully agree, we don't need to hire photographers and pay ads vendors so much, last project we paid them $100K for mediocre result, lets get the public to compete in a photographic competition and i bet they can do better so long we get what the photographers want which is fame and some freebies, we can do whatever we want later with their works without paying loyalty.

SILA PR Mgr: Do you know some photographic competition even require photographers to pay for their entries, i'm sure if they are serious they will pay.

SILA Director: Sound good, so PR-Mgr and Marketing Mgr i task you to handle this, use the minimum cost and maximize our project profit. Enough talking, go get them done.

SILA Marketing & PR Mgrs quietly: Phew! Lucky he buy our ideas to save us alot of efforts, lets get our team to login to Clubsnap later to see how to hook up those public photographers.

Last edited:
Erm..... SILA is an institution representing its members. They are involved in developing the landscape architecture profession. As such, they do not engage in actual project works. Your imagination had ran quite off track.

Mind you, I'm not condoning their T&C.

Win what camera and what kind of lens? Not specific....

I almost wanted to join until I read that I got to pay for photo entry and the T&C is not fair.

If it's free entry and they impose the same T&C, then it's ok. But if i have to pay and still submit to these T&C, it's not fair