Signs using incorrect English

Status
Not open for further replies.

di0nysus

Jul 15, 2003
m
Visit site
Anyone seen such signs around lately?

I saw one saying "No outside food allowed" :bsmilie: the "allowed" is redundant.

Just imagine it says "No smoking allowed" which can be reduced to "No smoking" as the "allowed" word is not necessary.

I think not many realise it.

you mean something like that but on signboards?
ChinaMenu01.jpg

dsc00445ym3.jpg

yes! can be on menus as well i guess..but must be in SG!

I've seen this in the lifts in my estate,

"In case of emergency, stay clam."

I've seen this in the lifts in my estate,

"In case of emergency, stay clam."

Clam? How to stay clam? I am clamped in this very clam lift. It is dark and clammy, and the lift door is clam shut. :bsmilie:

If anyone has ever noticed, in the old Thai Express menu (which they used for many years), they sold "Soft Dinks". Too bad no photos of it...

If anyone has ever noticed, in the old Thai Express menu (which they used for many years), they sold "Soft Dinks". Too bad no photos of it...

I went there many times but didn't notice. :bigeyes:

If you are on an SIA flight, you'll hear that the safety announcement... "In case of emergency landing"... such bad English. Its been that way for eons, wonder why nobody picks it up.

Well, English is used internationally, so it's bound to be corrupted by the local languages and dialects.

Actually, what's more disturbing is SMS-speak, e.g. cre8 = create and all that poliferating into the formal written form - I've seen secondary school essays written that way. Call me a traditionalist but I find this quite disconcerting!

I saw one saying "No outside food allowed" :bsmilie: the "allowed" is redundant.

Just imagine it says "No smoking allowed" which can be reduced to "No smoking" as the "allowed" word is not necessary.

I think not many realise it.

Those are typical in the U.S.A. They should probably replace the "allowed" with "please".

Actually, what's more disturbing is SMS-speak, e.g. cre8 = create and all that poliferating into the formal written form - I've seen secondary school essays written that way. Call me a traditionalist but I find this quite disconcerting!

I, too, will cringe when I see such word construction. But what to do, the wave of SMS-speak is here to stay.

Anyone see this before..

“收购手鸡“

"OUT RAM PART MRT"

MS Words spell checked!:bsmilie:

Right here on CS, top right hand corner : You last visited: X hours ago at XX am

Should it not be: Your last visit was : X hours Ago at XX am :confused: :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.