Signs using incorrect English

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2007
Kembangan
I saw one saying "No outside food allowed" :bsmilie: the "allowed" is redundant.

Just imagine it says "No smoking allowed" which can be reduced to "No smoking" as the "allowed" word is not necessary.

I think not many realise it.

Aug 22, 2007
you mean something like that but on signboards?

drakon09

Aug 12, 2005
I've seen this in the lifts in my estate,

"In case of emergency, stay clam."

calebk

Jul 25, 2006
Clementi

Clam? How to stay clam? I am clamped in this very clam lift. It is dark and clammy, and the lift door is clam shut. :bsmilie:

Gengh

May 6, 2007
Florida
If anyone has ever noticed, in the old Thai Express menu (which they used for many years), they sold "Soft Dinks". Too bad no photos of it...

If you are on an SIA flight, you'll hear that the safety announcement... "In case of emergency landing"... such bad English. Its been that way for eons, wonder why nobody picks it up.

drakon09

Aug 12, 2005
If you are on an SIA flight, you'll hear that the safety announcement... "In case of emergency landing"... such bad English. Its been that way for eons, wonder why nobody picks it up.
Well, English is used internationally, so it's bound to be corrupted by the local languages and dialects.

Actually, what's more disturbing is SMS-speak, e.g. cre8 = create and all that poliferating into the formal written form - I've seen secondary school essays written that way. Call me a traditionalist but I find this quite disconcerting!

I saw one saying "No outside food allowed" :bsmilie: the "allowed" is redundant.

Just imagine it says "No smoking allowed" which can be reduced to "No smoking" as the "allowed" word is not necessary.

I think not many realise it.
Those are typical in the U.S.A. They should probably replace the "allowed" with "please".

Canew

Jul 26, 2005
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
Actually, what's more disturbing is SMS-speak, e.g. cre8 = create and all that poliferating into the formal written form - I've seen secondary school essays written that way. Call me a traditionalist but I find this quite disconcerting!
I, too, will cringe when I see such word construction. But what to do, the wave of SMS-speak is here to stay.

yqt

Sep 8, 2004
East of Singapore
Right here on CS, top right hand corner : You last visited: X hours ago at XX am

Should it not be: Your last visit was : X hours Ago at XX am :confused: :bsmilie::bsmilie:

calebk

Jul 25, 2006
Clementi
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom