Kongfu

Sep 16, 2011
S'pore, Sengkang
Hi All,

I was thinking of signing up for a lightroom tutorial class but not sure if i would be able to really get anything out of it. Has anyone attended such class before? Can share experience or any suggestion? Thanks!

It's better if you learn the basics yourself. Signing up basic courses are quite a waste of time since basic are pretty much common sense. There are a bunch of tutorials online for free, do check them out. You can sign up for advance classes later on when you've figured out the basics.

It's better if you learn the basics yourself. Signing up basic courses are quite a waste of time since basic are pretty much common sense. There are a bunch of tutorials online for free, do check them out. You can sign up for advance classes later on when you've figured out the basics.

hmm makes sense bro thanks :)

some people learn better in class room, some people learn better with hands on,
I can't tell you whether is good or not cos I ain't you.

anyway, I go to National Library borrow a couples of books plus Google search than off I go.

i belong to the hands on.

for photography skills i learn faster while hands on.

but for post processing, i refer to books... cos u can't really hands on without knowing what each feature the software does. And this reminds me my Scott Kelby - Lightroom 3 still sealed up haven open to read ... my Scott Kelby - CS4 only read a quarter of the book. LOL

I can't tell you whether is good or not cos I ain't you.

anyway, I go to National Library borrow a couples of books plus Google search than off I go.

For me I'm fine with both but wat interest me is that they will calibrate our monitor for us free..gotta google how difficult that calibration thing is liao :p anyway thanks bro :)

i belong to the hands on.

for photography skills i learn faster while hands on.

but for post processing, i refer to books... cos u can't really hands on without knowing what each feature the software does. And this reminds me my Scott Kelby - Lightroom 3 still sealed up haven open to read ... my Scott Kelby - CS4 only read a quarter of the book. LOL

lol scott...i like his books...very layman term and easy to understand...i shd get 1 too perhaps... thanks anyway :)

Hardware calibration. if u have few friends into photography, can share to buy it. U dont need to recalibrate it that often anyway. There's basic and advance setting.

For me I'm fine with both but wat interest me is that they will calibrate our monitor for us free..gotta google how difficult that calibration thing is liao :p anyway thanks bro :)

lol scott...i like his books...very layman term and easy to understand...i shd get 1 too perhaps... thanks anyway :)

Hardware calibration. if u have few friends into photography, can share to buy it. U dont need to recalibrate it that often anyway. There's basic and advance setting.

Hi Errz,

thanks for the input. but the trouble is my frens aint interested in doing that grrrhh.... thanks anyway :)

the lightroom user guide could be a starting point (by adobe at no extra cost, google "adobe lightroom user guide pdf"), most basic guides are a rewrite of it, most basic courses are if you want someone reading it for you.

the lightroom user guide could be a starting point (by adobe at no extra cost, google "adobe lightroom user guide pdf"), most basic guides are a rewrite of it, most basic courses are if you want someone reading it for you.

Hi bro,

thanks for the input :)

Hi folk just wonder any expert would like to share teaching LR3

A well calibrated monitor is a must. You need to do hardware calibration and use the expert mode not the quickie mode which does not do the best job. Even Apple laptops & iMac will look better after calibration. There were a couple of guys offer do calibrate for a fee do a search.

LR is a relatively easy program to use - out of box you can probably get a hang of running it. As for course a lot depends on how, how deep, how much is being shared, and the basic level of the people in the class. From the what little I saw of local course for LR, it is the most basic of basic (note I did not do a really deep search for this). Download the software run it as much as you can during the trial period to get a feel if you need more training. In depth training locally may be difficult to find a course for that. You need to be familiar before you can take on in depth training. How much you get back from training is liken to how big your hand is - big hands (user experience) will mean to can pick up more (bits of info) from what the trainer knows. Only you know how big your hands are if we knew that then Toto top prize would always be share by many people.

A well calibrated monitor is a must. You need to do hardware calibration and use the expert mode not the quickie mode which does not do the best job. Even Apple laptops & iMac will look better after calibration. There were a couple of guys offer do calibrate for a fee do a search.

LR is a relatively easy program to use - out of box you can probably get a hang of running it. As for course a lot depends on how, how deep, how much is being shared, and the basic level of the people in the class. From the what little I saw of local course for LR, it is the most basic of basic (note I did not do a really deep search for this). Download the software run it as much as you can during the trial period to get a feel if you need more training. In depth training locally may be difficult to find a course for that. You need to be familiar before you can take on in depth training. How much you get back from training is liken to how big your hand is - big hands (user experience) will mean to can pick up more (bits of info) from what the trainer knows. Only you know how big your hands are if we knew that then Toto top prize would always be share by many people.

Hi ellery,

Like I said, I was drawn to the course partly b'cos they offer free calibration. But I found out calibration shd b done every month to maintain the standard. So I guess it would be more pratical to get a calibrator instead. And yes, I oso felt that the things they taught shd be very basic which i can easily google. Anyway thanks alot for your input Cheers :)

get photoshopcafe light room training video, its very simple and easy to learn.

get photoshopcafe light room training video, its very simple and easy to learn.

Hi kishleo,

you mean to get the full video? i see there's several title with lightroom 3. do you have any recommendation? thanks :)

I got titled lightroom 3 for digital photographers. it comes with sample images to practice the techniques. It costs less than the classroom training. And you can learn at your own pace.

I got titled lightroom 3 for digital photographers. it comes with sample images to practice the techniques. It costs less than the classroom training. And you can learn at your own pace.

Hi Kishleo,

Thanks alot for the info. Will definitely consider it..so i believe they actually ship the dvds to you right? Actually i was googling last night and found that scott kelby also had written a book on lightroom 3. wonder if it is good tho....has anyone bought this book? can share comments on it? thanks alot! :)

Hi Kongfu,

you can actually buy and download from their website.