Sigma To Release New Lenses at PhotoKina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Dawn

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore
www.5stonesphoto.com
Hi

From the rumour mill.....said to be "almost accurate", which in other words means not verifiable at the moment.....

New Lenses from Sigma Photo at PhotoKina

- 80-400 mm f/4,5-5,6 EX OS "Optical Stabilizer".
> Mode 1 : For statics subjects
> Mode 2 : For moving subjects (stabilization just horizontaly)

- 120-300mm F2,8 EX IF HSM

- 300-800mm F5,6 EX IF HSM

The price and availability is not known, for the moment !

Originally posted by Larry
the 130-300 f/2.8 sounds interesting actually... quite a unique focal range...

Multiply it by 1.5... And it doesn't look so odd anymore.

Finally Sickma introduced their IS version: Optical Stabilizer. I wish to see a 70-200/f2.8 OS priced at S$1.5k...

btw, 130-300/f2.8 will be 192-480/f2.8 on D60, wah... a very very good range for my taste!!! Oh boy, waiting for the optical testing...

Originally posted by Richard
Multiply it by 1.5... And it doesn't look so odd anymore.
oooh good point. that'll give it a effective range of about 200-450mm... impressive...

Originally posted by Red Dawn
- 120-300mm F2,8 EX IF HSM
- 300-800mm F5,6 EX IF HSM
[/i]

These will be monster lenses, probably weigh 5-8 kgs each.

how good can a zoom lens be? 300-800mm F5,6 EX IF HSM and 80-400 mm f/4,5-5,6 EX OS "Optical Stabilizer" at 400mm? I am thinking of getting a third party but fixed 400mm f5.6 lens. Will the fixed lens gives better quality than the zoom?

Very good, assuming they bother to do it well. I've been screaming for a 100-300/2.8 class zoom for ages, with the FLM. Now that they've finally got one out, the camera manufacturers go and lose the FLM. Lovely.

Just wondering, if it is genuine, how long will it take to reach Singapore? :D

Originally posted by scanner
Just wondering, if it is genuine, how long will it take to reach Singapore? :D

forget it lah.... just stick to getting the 80-200mm lah!!! :D

Originally posted by NitroTech

forget it lah.... just stick to getting the 80-200mm lah!!! :D

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Yes Adam, without OS.

I've said this numerous times before, OS is a complete waste of time on proper tele lens. A lens of that description would weigh in at least at about 5kgs. If you want to hand hold that, go ahead and be my guest, but 99% of the time the lens will be on a monopod following moving subjects, or on a tripod. Which makes OS, IS, VR and whatever other incarnations people decide to come up with, not as useful as might first be assumed.

Like I said, generally, AFAICS, OS type systems are generally only really routinely useful with 80-200 class zooms and 300/2.8s.

Hmm. It's got to be worrying when the 120-300/2.8 weighs about the same or less than the Nikon 300/2.8 prime (less than the AF-S, about the same as the AF-S II).

Makes you wonder really...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My two thumbs up for Sigma!! Everyone has witnessed her remarkable progress over the recent years. Wish her latest three lenses could deliver the state-of-the-art optical technology.

Originally posted by tomshen
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My two thumbs up for Sigma!! Everyone has witnessed her remarkable progress over the recent years. Wish her latest three lenses could deliver the state-of-the-art optical technology.
sell mi your 50-500 then you go get the 300-800/5.6!
hehehheee:devil:

Originally posted by Bluestrike

sell mi your 50-500 then you go get the 300-800/5.6!
hehehheee:devil:
haha, if u could carry the monster for me every time I go out shoot...

Status
Not open for further replies.