Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
ClubSNAP
simon.clubsnap.org
Sigma today announced the new SD10 digital SLR. The SD10 is a successor to the SD9, originally announced in February last year. The SD10 has an updated 10M X3 sensor from Foveon, the new sensor promises improved dynamic range, color response and sensitivity (thanks to the addition of microlenses). The primary differences between the SD9 and the SD10 are extended ISO sensitivity (up to 1600 in extended mode), longer exposures, a single battery power supply, 1/3 EV steps, wireless TTL flash support and image processing enhancements provided by Sigma Photo Pro 2.0.

More Informations from dpreview

Larry said:
the Sports Finder looks interesting... a first for DSLRs?

Well...the SD9 had it first.:)

To be truthful, everytime I look at an image produced by the SD9, I spend more than a moment looking at it just because its crispness is stonking. I'm honestly impressed by the image quality of Sigma's at low ISOs. The SD10 improves on picture quality at higher ISOs, which is good. However, it does lose a little crispness. This is an impressive piece of equipment on its own & it probably edges the current crop of mid level dslrs by a little. It is impressive, but perhaps not enough to make people jump the ship, given the poor resale value of Sigmas and the poor availability of used equipment available. This itself, is a major drawback in this market where budget is an issue. And, many dslrs are currently near the end of their series, in which the newer ones could be better, could is the word. This uncertainty does no favours for the SIgma which prices not too competitively. I like the SD10, but its risky to jump the gun for people like me where value for money counts. This introduction will no doubt have an affect on the prices of current dslrs, and probably rush the drawing boards of many other companies. Which is a good thing.
The bottomline is ... the Sigma may have caught up with the rest at this point in time, but a time where they are preparing to make the next leap. :think:
Its a sad thing honestly. Because Sigma has progressed so much, yet not appreciated through increased mkt share.

Just my 2 cents

as DPreview had mentioned, the rating at 10.2 mega pixel will surely bring in debate... yes, physically it is a 3.3 mega pixel but with the sigma software it can be increase double to 6.6 mega pixel... this is possible and it make some sense to me (I hope I am not too wrong)... the pixel are arranged traditionally GRGB array, 4 pixel to produce a dot equivalent to the Foveon 1 pixel... hence, by putting the RGB info side by side will produce a 4 pixel... which is multiply by a factor of 2 horizontal and vertically... becoming a "6.6" RAW image...

But of coz, in JPEG or other algo, these data are compressed and 1 pixel has 3x8 bit of data on the RGB value... so I wonder does that 1 pixel in JPEG is the equivalent of 4 pixel data from the sensor?

marcwang said:
It is impressive, but perhaps not enough to make people jump the ship, given the poor resale value of Sigmas and the poor availability of used equipment available. This itself, is a major drawback in this market where budget is an issue.
These reasons really freaking me, I cant decide what to do. :embrass:

But SD10/SD9 image quality is really fantastic. :think: :think: :think:

Dun know the 3 x 3.3mp really as impressive as they claimed... :rolleyes:

But its color & resolving power is really film-like... :lovegrin:

Performance above ISO400 is still not up to scratch though, seemingly inferior to even older cameras like the Fuji S1Pro and scanned film. Even S2Pro shots at ISO1600 look better than the SD10 at ISO800 if you compare the imaging-resource samples.

This limits its versatility.

Status
Not open for further replies.