sigma or tamron 70-200 f2.8 mounted to a D800


reject

New Member
Apr 24, 2009
746
0
0
Pasir Ris
i'm looking if anyone have this setup? Any pictures, impressions or anything you can share?
 

reject

New Member
Apr 24, 2009
746
0
0
Pasir Ris
Wrong thread here :)
why? do i need to go to the tamron/sigma thread? it with use with a d800 anyway so i think it should be alright. if not, Mods, please move to appropriate thread section. thanks!
 

Fudgecakes

Senior Member
Oct 1, 2011
1,795
0
36
Planet Earth
reject said:
why? do i need to go to the tamron/sigma thread? it with use with a d800 anyway so i think it should be alright. if not, Mods, please move to appropriate thread section. thanks!
I think you should go for the nikkor. I've use the HSM II version of sigma and it has some seriously bad Purple fringing. On a D800 will only make you rage till you jizz in your pants and I can't even fathom what Te HSM I version will be like.

Can't comment for the OS version or Tammy version though. But if you're going for the OS version, spend maybe $200 more and get the VR 1 or even the VR 2. No point spending 4K on the D800 but skimp on lenses.
 

Fudgecakes

Senior Member
Oct 1, 2011
1,795
0
36
Planet Earth
rain5533 said:
Wrong thread here :)
Ehh since he's asking about performance on a D800 then perhaps this would be the right place. Though I can't imagine why anyone will use anything other than a Nikkor on a camera such as the D800
 

DrSpock

New Member
Mar 12, 2009
1,085
0
0
Warp back to Simei
Fudgecakes said:
Ehh since he's asking about performance on a D800 then perhaps this would be the right place. Though I can't imagine why anyone will use anything other than a Nikkor on a camera such as the D800
Why not? I play the Tamron SP90 on my D800 & I like the photos :)
 

subzero

Senior Member
Jun 15, 2003
1,440
5
38
Central
www.petc.com
Personally i have not tried third party tele lens and cannot comment much on them. However i can recommend resale 80-200mm afs if you can find. I saw a bro selling cheap online recently for $1.1k! Condition stated as 9. Not sure if it has been sold though.
The iq of the lens is superb, better than 70-200mm VRI, no vignetting which VRI has on full frame and the focusing is very fast also.
VRII is too expensive,although it performed better in low light and accuracy of focusing is better than 80-200mm afs, I prefer the warm image tone produce from this 80-200mm lens.

My first tele lens 80-200afs, sold and upgrade to 70-200mm VR1 and to VRII subsequently. Now i have sold my VRII to free up some cash for other upgrade and back i bought back 80-200mm afs.

First picture was taken with 80-200mm afs 3 years back at f2.8. Pardon me if the pictures below were not well taken, just want to illustrate sharpness and vignetting.


Second picture was taken with 70-200 vr1, can see quite obvious vignetting at f2.8.


Third picture taken with 70-200 vrii f2.8 as well, prefer this lens the most but it is too expensive to keep as it was under utilised.
 

Last edited:

Fudgecakes

Senior Member
Oct 1, 2011
1,795
0
36
Planet Earth
DrSpock said:
Why not? I play the Tamron SP90 on my D800 & I like the photos :)
Well true. Tammy is reputed to have great IQ in their lenses. Sigma on the other hand....
 

redmonsoon

Senior Member
Aug 6, 2004
841
0
16
Sg
Well true. Tammy is reputed to have great IQ in their lenses. Sigma on the other hand....
Well Sigma's 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM has been getting rave review..:)
 

Last edited:

Cheesecake

Senior Member
Fudgecakes said:
Ehh since he's asking about performance on a D800 then perhaps this would be the right place. Though I can't imagine why anyone will use anything other than a Nikkor on a camera such as the D800
Me lor! Wahahahaha!

Can la, there're gd 3rd party lenses out there, one jus haf to research la.

I haf 3 non nikkors, all r gd with d800e. :)

There r always exception la. :)
 

Fudgecakes

Senior Member
Oct 1, 2011
1,795
0
36
Planet Earth
Cheesecake said:
Me lor! Wahahahaha!

Can la, there're gd 3rd party lenses out there, one jus haf to research la.

I haf 3 non nikkors, all r gd with d800e. :)

There r always exception la. :)
True la fellow cake. Haha. I think that sweeping statement is Abit wrong haha
 

Cheesecake

Senior Member
True la fellow cake. Haha. I think that sweeping statement is Abit wrong haha
not entirely wrong la, jus tat some ppl like to be extra sure and careful so they stick to only nikkors.



some of the 3rd party lens maker do make very exotic lenses that could be worth taking a look at. if in doubt, research, loan then see for oneself la.


huat ah!
 

subzero

Senior Member
Jun 15, 2003
1,440
5
38
Central
www.petc.com
Cheesecake said:
not entirely wrong la, jus tat some ppl like to be extra sure and careful so they stick to only nikkors.

some of the 3rd party lens maker do make very exotic lenses that could be worth taking a look at. if in doubt, research, loan then see for oneself la.

huat ah!
I have sigma 50mm f1.4, great lens prefer that to Nikon 50mm f1.4 afs.
 

Blur Shadow

Senior Member
Sep 17, 2005
4,878
4
0
Cheesecake said:
not entirely wrong la, jus tat some ppl like to be extra sure and careful so they stick to only nikkors.

some of the 3rd party lens maker do make very exotic lenses that could be worth taking a look at. if in doubt, research, loan then see for oneself la.

huat ah!
3rd party lens makers like Carl Zeiss!
 

Fudgecakes

Senior Member
Oct 1, 2011
1,795
0
36
Planet Earth
All the D800 guys and I'm the only one with D7000 haha
 

Blur Shadow

Senior Member
Sep 17, 2005
4,878
4
0
Fudgecakes said:
All the D800 guys and I'm the only one with D7000 haha
I'm also using a Nikon D7000 leh.