sigma optics

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joshua T

so how do you guys find the sigma optics, both the EX and non-EX series???

juz talk abt the lenses you guys have already tried. guess that would be more fair.

i got de Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX HSM, nikon mount, with 1.4x and 2x sigma TCs... pretty happy with it. focusing is very silent (and fast), not much hunting. images are generally sharp throughout, only qualm is that i can't use 3D matrix metering, which doesn't really affect me much. so far no complaints...

I am a big Sigma fan (next to Streetshooter?). I own four Sigma lenses and live happily with them: 20mm/f1.8, 105mm macro, 70-200/f2.8, 50-500/f4-6.3. All very good optical quality and solid built. If u r on budget, can seriously consider Sigma, value for money. However, my target is to replace all Sigma to Canon 2 years later. As for now the 10% marginal sharpness means a lot to me. Even by that time, I would probably still pro Sigmas for their performance/price.

Good luck.

Regards,
Tom

sorry a bit offtopic here...

how much does the sigma 80-200 f/2.8 cost now?

Anybody know how much this lense from sigma cost?
Sigma 180mm f3.5 EX APO Macro IF HSM (Nikon mount)

and how is it's performance?
may be buying it.... nikon version costs over 2000 bucks.....
:dunno: :dent:

Originally posted by Tweek

not very sure but i think Fotoguide is selling it for around $1K (or was it $1.1k?...

Originally posted by firefox13
only qualm is that i can't use 3D matrix metering

Sorry, why can't u use 3D metering? Isn't Sigma lens D lens too?

Originally posted by Almond
Anybody know how much this lense from sigma cost?
Sigma 180mm f3.5 EX APO Macro IF HSM (Nikon mount)

and how is it's performance?
may be buying it.... nikon version costs over 2000 bucks.....

fotoguide quoted me $1300 for the canon mount. The nikon mount should be not far from this price.

Originally posted by Tweek

I'm also interested in getting either this len Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX HSM or the Nikkor AFS 80-200 f/2.8 len.
Anyone any idea which is a better quality len?
or rather which one is value for money? ;)

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Joshua T
so how do you guys find the sigma optics, both the EX and non-EX series???

juz talk abt the lenses you guys have already tried. guess that would be more fair.

not as good as the top of the line original mfgs lenses.
good enough for most people.

if a photo is good, the lens used doesn't really matter (at most cannot print A3 :) )
if a photo is lousy, the lens used also doesn't really matter

My collection so far (Omigosh!):

Sigma EX 15mm fisheye
Sigma EX 20mm f1.8
Sigma EX 24-70 f2.8
Sigma EX 105mm f2.8 Macro
Sigma EX 70-200 f2.8 HSM
Sigma 1.4X TC
Sigma 2X TC

Canon EF 35mm f2
Canon EF 50mm f1.8
Canon EF 85mm f1.8
Canon EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III
Sold my Canon EF 28-135 IS USM

Optically, I love the Canon 85mm f1.8 the best, especially for portraits. It's AMAZING, and you can see the difference right on the little LCD of the D30. On a computer monitor it's even better. Even looking through the uncapped lens is like looking through an empty cylinder, the aperture is so nice and BIG.

The Canon 50mm f1.8 and Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM tie for a close second, optically.

The rest are so-so, frankly speaking. I find them acceptable, but not fantastic. That's where Photoshop comes in, but that's another story.

The Sigmas are not problem-free.

The Sigma 20mm f1.8 hangs the D30 if left on for more than 5 minutes, and this disables the auto-off. This can drain the battery after a few hours, and you end up with a dead camera. This happened on my only official assignment so far, a graduation photo-shoot. Thank God I had a spare battery. Now I make it a point to switch off the D30 or set the auto-off to 1 or 2 minutes when this lens is on the camera.

The Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM I bought secondhand must have been dropped, because the service technician said the lens barrel was bent when I complained that the zoom ring was tight. It seems to be a bit looser now, now that I think about it, probably because of much use and abuse by myself.

It intermittently refuses to autofocus (usually at the most critical moment), even after having the chip replaced. I suspect it's an AF/MF HSM motor clutch problem, because it can be persuaded to start autofocusing by jiggling the manual focus ring while half-pressing the shutter button. I'm waiting (hoping?) for it to eventually die completely, so that I have an excuse to get a Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS USM (unless Sigma comes out with the rumoured IS clone technology). Despite this, my best shots have mostly come from this lens, and I don't regret getting it at all. Optically it's wonderful. If there's ONE Sigma lens I would recommend above all others, it would be this one.

Colour-wise, I've noticed that my Sigmas tend towards the warm side, whereas the Canons give truer colours. That's OK with me, because I like my pictures with a warm yellow glow anyway.

Unlike Tom, I don't really plan to replace my Sigma glass with Canon, because I have no compelling reason to do so (except for the aforementioned 70-200 IS USM - MAYBE). The fact that Sigma has lousy resale value probably contributes to this.

Note that my Sigma lenses are all EX series, which are SUPPOSED to have much better quality control and consistency. So far I have not been disappointed (either that or my standards are not very high).

Originally posted by scanner

I'm also interested in getting either this len Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX HSM or the Nikkor AFS 80-200 f/2.8 len.
Anyone any idea which is a better quality len?
or rather which one is value for money? ;)

I remember seeing the price for this sigma lense in the forum... it's around 1000++ to 1200++..... should be first hand price... cos's remember someone said he/she manage to get a second hand for 850++.....

the nikon AFS? hehehe...... more than double.... at least 2400++ to 2600++ without GST (asked for the VR lense too, forgot each price tag to which lense) ... just e quoted CP a few weeks back....:devil:

Originally posted by StreetShooter
My collection so far (Omigosh!):

Sigma EX 15mm fisheye
Sigma EX 20mm f1.8
Sigma EX 24-70 f2.8
Sigma EX 105mm f2.8 Macro
Sigma EX 70-200 f2.8 HSM
Sigma 1.4X TC
Sigma 2X TC

How about the 105 f2.8 Macro ?
Any comments ?

Originally posted by hpong

How about the 105 f2.8 Macro ?
Any comments ?

Haven't really used it for much except copying negatives to digital, so I can't really comment. It's reputedly very sharp, and it is, but I use it at f8, so it better be!

SS,
U have so many Sigma EX lenses, are the EX coating of them still all intact perfectly? I have a 28-70mm EX before, the EX coating starts peeling off after some times (I bought 2nd hand). A 70-200mm EX USM that I have seen has badly EX coating peeling, which makes the lens "not so nice".

Has anyone comparing the 70-200mm EX HSM with the Nikkor 80-200mm AFD? I am using the slow F4 AF...thus wondering if the HSM will focus faster on the F4 (significantly). Guess it is too risky to buy 2nd hand Sigma 70-200mm EX after hearing SS's story.

The 70-200 is peeling quite a bit (already was when I bought it secondhand), but hey the optics are still fantastic.

The rest of the lenses are fairly new - no peeling so far. I would assume that they've fixed the peeling problem in later editions.

For the uninitiated, the EX coating refers to the gold-speckled black paint on the body of the lens, NOT any multi-coating on the lens glass itself.

As I mentioned, I have little intention of reclaiming much resale value on these lenses, so it's not a problem to me.

Streetshooter, saw that u also have the Sigma 1.4X and 2X TC. I have a Sigma 70-300mm APO and am considering getting the 2X TC for it. I've heard that at the AF will cease to work accurately/properly when the apeture goes smaller than f4.
1. Could u tell me whether that is a prob (I know a tripod is a must here)

2. Does the TC support HSM, in case I decide to the Sigma 17-35mm with HSM

3. Does the image quality degrade (a little is ok...)

4. And does it work well with a DSLR? When I have the dough to get one, I hope to use this TC (although may not be necessary with the 1.x magnification factor...)

Thanks! :)

(1) isn't the 70-300 f/5.6 and doesn't the AF work?
(2) AF functionality depends on the body

Originally posted by Fastbreak
I have a Sigma 70-300mm APO and am considering getting the 2X TC for it. I've heard that at the AF will cease to work accurately/properly when the apeture goes smaller than f4.

how abt the non-EX series. are they worth they able to
give good pics??? EXs are like quite procey for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.