Sigma Mount Converter MC-11 adapts Sigma lenses to E-mount supports PDAF

chipvn

Aug 26, 2010
Another new development for E-mount mirrorless cameras. Now the solution comes from big vendor like sigma for both Sigma SA mount lens and Canon EF mount lens

$9294777621.jpg
Sigma has announced an adapter for Sony E-mount cameras, making it possible to use Sigma's most recent lenses in Canon and Sigma mount on full-frame or APS-C E-mount bodies. The MC-11 adapter is able to use phase detection AF with adapted lenses, and makes use of both camera and lens stabilization when present. An LED display on the side of the mount provides compatibility information of attached lenses. The adapter also communicates EXIF data to the camera body, and retains profiles of compatible lenses – those included in Sigma's Global Vision line – to optimize AF performance.

More details from Dpreview:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/067757...-lenses-to-e-mount-cameras-supports-autofocus

Exciting time for Sony Mirror-less.

[video=youtube;JFoeZ0c7iLo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFoeZ0c7iLo&feature=player_embedded[/video]

[video=youtube;dys6BjMUPm0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dys6BjMUPm0[/video]

The new A6300 + 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM >> seem to be a good match :gbounce::rbounce:

$Sigma MC-11.jpg

Last edited:
Waiting to see if it can AF well with Canon lenses! Read somewhere that said camera will revert back to CDAF when with non-Sigma lenses.

If you look at the 2nd video above, the lens data base have to be put into the adapter b4 able to AF perfectly.
Therefore, only Sigma lens data are inside Sigma adapter lor.

So if u have canon l lens is useless ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding from what I read & see ...............

Canon brand lens not 100% useless, but cannot AF perfectly. (like using metabones adapter).

Only Sigma brand lens (Sigma or cannon mount) then can AF perfectly.

Last edited:
My understanding from what I read & see ...............

Canon brand lens not 100% useless, but cannot AF perfectly. (like using metabones adapter).

Only Sigma brand lens (Sigma or cannon mount) then can AF perfectly.

if that's the case then sigma will probably sell less adaptors.... but for the adaptors they sell, probably drive up the purchase of sigma lenses.

imagine pairing the a7r2 with a 150-600 or 120-300 sigma on EF mount to achieve perfect C-AF tracking!

if that's the case then sigma will probably sell less adaptors.... but for the adaptors they sell, probably drive up the purchase of sigma lenses.

imagine pairing the a7r2 with a 150-600 or 120-300 sigma on EF mount to achieve perfect C-AF tracking!

This sounds really exciting!

Very nice! This actually tempted me to get the SD Quattro as a second camera. Hmm...

No support for Sigma 8-16mm?

No support for Sigma 8-16mm?

Only the Global Vision lenses, i.e. Sports, Art or Contemporary. The 8-16mm is an old lens that doesnt look like it is part of the Global Vision line-up.

Do have a look at http://www.sigmaphoto.com/mount-converter-mc-11 under 'Tech Specs' to see the list of lenses supported.

Let's hope that its a matter of updating the software as not under the compatibility chart meaning that it could still possibly work, maybe without AF?
Only the Global Vision lenses, i.e. Sports, Art or Contemporary. The 8-16mm is an old lens that doesnt look like it is part of the Global Vision line-up.

Do have a look at http://www.sigmaphoto.com/mount-converter-mc-11 under 'Tech Specs' to see the list of lenses supported.

May revert to CDAF only I think? Meaning not as fast as those specifically stated as being supported.

Anyone bought this adapter, want to share their experience on it?

I have tried it in a shop with A6300 and Sigma 120-300 f2.8 Sports. It was a quick few min test but the result is not good. When use wide and zone focus area, it tends to focus only at the centre of the frame. If use flexible spot and shift the focus spot to the corner, it will hunt quite a bit. When using lock-on AF, it will not track the subject beyond the centre of the frame. To me, it is quite a major issue. Not sure whether it is an firmware limitation which future firmware can fix it.

Anyone bought this adapter, want to share their experience on it?

I have tried it in a shop with A6300 and Sigma 120-300 f2.8 Sports. It was a quick few min test but the result is not good. When use wide and zone focus area, it tends to focus only at the centre of the frame. If use flexible spot and shift the focus spot to the corner, it will hunt quite a bit. When using lock-on AF, it will not track the subject beyond the centre of the frame. To me, it is quite a major issue. Not sure whether it is an firmware limitation which future firmware can fix it.

that's quite disappointing.... i was hoping that the adaptor will be better than metabones with sigma tele lenses.... if it doesnt work well with the 120-300 2.8.... don't think it will work well with the 150 600

I had it, it could be firmware issue which could be updated or fix like metabones but it definitely works better than commlites or sub brands. Got it and used it on canon's 70-200 F4 which focus very fast and silent but as expected it will suffers hunting with long range lens be it fast aperture or slower ones. Yet you get the option of either using native A mount lens with La Ea adapters or go with sigma mc-11 to use sigma, canon and other 3rd party base lens. If somebody is keen to test and have some long range canon mount Sigma lens or Canon's lens I be happy to go for test drive, if you google youtube there's alot of shorter focal length lens which works very fast without problems!

They also stated the following, so crossing my fingers and wait till new firmware is being released.

"For the following lenses, we are developing firmware which incorporates a new algorithm to improve AF performance even further. Release of the firmware updates is planned around June to August, and will be announced on our website as they become available.

・SIGMA 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM | Art - SIGMA and Canon mount
・SIGMA 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Sports - SIGMA and Canon mount
・SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Sports - SIGMA and Canon mount
・SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary - SIGMA and Canon mount
・SIGMA 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | Contemporary - SIGMA and Canon mount
・SIGMA 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Contemporary - SIGMA and Canon mount
・SIGMA 18-300mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Contemporary - SIGMA and Canon mount"

They also stated the following, so crossing my fingers and wait till new firmware is being released.

"For the following lenses, we are developing firmware which incorporates a new algorithm to improve AF performance even further. Release of the firmware updates is planned around June to August, and will be announced on our website as they become available.

・SIGMA 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM | Art - SIGMA and Canon mount
・SIGMA 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | Contemporary - SIGMA and Canon mount
・SIGMA 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Contemporary - SIGMA and Canon mount
・SIGMA 18-300mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Contemporary - SIGMA and Canon mount"

these 4 lens should not be a problem but
・SIGMA 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Sports - SIGMA and Canon mount
・SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Sports - SIGMA and Canon mount
・SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary - SIGMA and Canon mount
these 3 will have problems

Tony Northup even tried his canon 16-35 with mc-11 and it freezes his sony A7s so I do not know why but my canon lens did not freeze my A7II though hahahaha, maybe can try some kindhearted ones 400mm f5.6 to see if it AF fast