Sigma lens compare to Nikon lens

Nnodmax

Aug 23, 2011
Singapore
Hi all!

I have a kit 18-55mm vr with my D5100 and a old sigma 28-70mm f2.8

Am considering either to get a Nikon 35mm prime + a zoom lens later...

Then this sigma 17-70mm came across my eye and I'm confused now... The pictures on my sigma 28-70 now, colour wise really can't compared to my Nikon kit... I'm afraid the this might be a sigma trend.

Can anyone let me know whether this is true???

Pls help!

You have to read reviews for those lens that you might be interested in. Then go to shop to test it out to confirm for yourself, if need be. I .... don't have much experience on Sigma.

Thanks for replying...
Think I'll check more reviews before purchase :)

Just so you know... the colors on my Sigma lenses are wonderful...

own a few sigma lenses, i see no prob, well u can always PP later to achieve the desired colours u need...

Really?? Sounds great! U have any photos Or link that I can take a look? Really appreciate!

agreed. Sigma colour is nice compared to tammy..

Okie sounds good... So I just need to go test the lens and decide which to get first.. :)

Really?? Sounds great! U have any photos Or link that I can take a look? Really appreciate!

A picture I shot using Sigma 50mm. This pic is straight out of camera Jpeg Basic. All I did is add watermark and resize. No adjustments done whatsoever. Sigma lenses tend to give a warmer tone, which I like.

6327111359_7a9c081204_b.jpg

agreed. Sigma colour is nice compared to tammy..

Here are two similar pictures shot with different lenses. Pictures are straight out of camera jpeg basic. One is shot with Tamron 28-75/2.8 a $500+ lens. The other is shot with the Nikon 24-70/2.8. Can you tell which is shot by which lens? BTW these pics are 100% crop. There are differences, but the differences are minute and once it goes through PP, it is anybody's guess.

6314756983_27590bc4ce_z.jpg

You can see large size here: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6098/6314756983_d82ab2f7c1_o.jpg

Last edited:
Here are two similar pictures shot with different lenses. Pictures are straight out of camera jpeg basic. One is shot with Tamron 28-75/2.8 a $500+ lens. The other is shot with the Nikon 24-70/2.8. Can you tell which is shot by which lens? BTW these pics are 100% crop. There are differences, but the differences are minute and once it goes through PP, it is anybody's guess.

6314756983_27590bc4ce_z.jpg

You can see large size here: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6098/6314756983_d82ab2f7c1_o.jpg

To my eyes, the left picture is sharper and more contrasty. So which is which?

To my eyes, the left picture is sharper and more contrasty. So which is which?

Ok to make it interesting. I posted the same picture again. This time I only boosted the contrast slightly of the right side, and did no other adjustments... I could have done more, like boosting the blacks and etc... but all I did is select contrast and push it very slightly... look at how the right side now looks a lot "sharper" than before?

6327174413_3fdaf6abf3_z.jpg

See large here: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6236/6327174413_1c9ff3a07f_o.jpg

Left is Nikon. But is it worth $2k more to you? All you need to do is to push contrast a little bit more, add a little sharpening, and you probably cannot tell between the 2. And these pics are 100% pixel peeping crop. So if you look at the entire picture, you will be hard pressed to tell the difference. because contrast can be achieved in-cam as well. Or drop the exposure slightly, you can get almost the same feeling. And remember, more contrast usually gives the impression that it is sharper.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for sharing the photos daredevil! i guess i'm really trying my luck to get an all rounded lens coz i really dun like changing lens once i'm out.. unless it's for a specific shooting purpose. i like nikon lens colours that are vibrant.. but i also like the bokeh that the sigma lens give.... thou sometimes, they isnt any difference with the photo using sigma or nikon! i wonder whether should i get the lens now or wait till next year when they have new lens, hopefully ?