sigma lens bought from b&h without sigma stamp

IsenGrim

Jan 28, 2008
I bought a lens from b&h usa and it came without the dealer stamp, there were some focusing problem, and the lady at the sigma care center said it wasn't under warranty because there was no stamp.

I bought the lens at a price that matches a legitimate set and assumed it was covered.

Any neo had this experience?

I bought a lens from b&h usa and it came without the dealer stamp, there were some focusing problem, and the lady at the sigma care center said it wasn't under warranty because there was no stamp.

I bought the lens at a price that matches a legitimate set and assumed it was covered.

Any neo had this experience?

standard mah... warranty card no chop = grey set = no warranty.

There was a b&h guy roaming around club snap right?

Well was just hoping, he can help to clear it. I bought the lens having the impression, that it is a legitimate set, and there was no way I could know the card is not stamped, unless it got delivered. And it isn't written anywhere on the product page to suggest that this was a grey set.

If indeed they purposefully sent grey sets, then its my lesson learnt and last time ever buying anything from there. And I would advice fellow friends to keep away from them.

There was a b&h guy roaming around club snap right?

Well was just hoping, he can help to clear it. I bought the lens having the impression, that it is a legitimate set, and there was no way I could know the card is not stamped, unless it got delivered. And it isn't written anywhere on the product page to suggest that this was a grey set.

If indeed they purposefully sent grey sets, then its my lesson learnt and last time ever buying anything from there. And I would advice fellow friends to keep away from them.

b&h i dunno but i know got a member here representing adorama

anyway warranty terms and conditions is not set by b&h but sigma, u also need to check with sigma, if u buy from USA (since b&h based there) with a warranty card and their chop + receipt, will it be recognise here in singapore.

Last edited:
I just check the product page again and it says:
What's in the Box
Sigma Wide Angle 24mm f/1.8 EX Aspherical DG DF Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS
  • Front & Rear Lens Caps
  • Hood
  • Case
  • Strap
  • 1-Year Worldwide Warranty + 3-Year Extended USA Warranty

You can see the full page here.

So it's supposed to come stamped. I'm ok with Sigma refusing to service a lens for free if the card is not stamped. Its just that I was expecting the card to be stamped when I bought it.

Well b&h is now closed for holidays and only reopening on coming sunday. Can't even send in customer support request.

Last edited:
Erm. Actually it's a local thing. Singapore service centres and shops are very "stamp obsessed" while in other countries the warranty card is sufficient.

Erm. Actually it's a local thing. Singapore service centres and shops are very "stamp obsessed" while in other countries the warranty card is sufficient.

Oh my, that sounds bad. It means I have paid for something legitimate and didn't get the full package. Well, I hope b&H comes online soon to resolve this.

There's nothing I could do if Sigma Singapore refuse to service the lens as it is their policy to refuse.

lesson learnt...dont assume, verify first.

personally, have dealt with B&H and as long i know what i am getting..quite okay actually just that the shipping is somewhat on the high side.

unless the lens specifically mentions international warranty in which case there is room for argument.

Last edited:
lesson learnt...dont assume, verify first.

personally, have dealt with B&H and as long i know what i am getting..quite okay actually just that the shipping is somewhat on the high side.

According to the product page, I wasn't assuming. It is clearly written there that there is international coverage for 1 year. I thought I was assuming as I didn't check the product page when I made the first comment.

Well i Hope it can be resolved. They are selling a legitimate product, and it would be bad if people accused them of not being legit just because they don;t get their cards stamped (which is a common practice over there? i guess)

And who knew Singapore can be such a bitch about seeing stamps.

Last edited:
There is an B&H rep that visit's Clubsnap, but he's probably on NA time.

When you purchased the lens, did it say "imported"? Anywhere on the receipt?

There is an B&H rep that visit's Clubsnap, but he's probably on NA time.

When you purchased the lens, did it say "imported"? Anywhere on the receipt?

Nope. There no "imported" anywhere on the receipt. should it be there?

It was shipped to a US address, and a friend carried it back to SG for me.

Locally Sigma is ~$200 more, so a 'chop' is important :D

Maybe you can show the receipt; CC bill, etc?
Worked for me a year ago.

Can you make a chop yourself??

I think you are looking for henryp. Perhaps you can send him an email: Henry Posner

Locally Sigma is ~$200 more, so a 'chop' is important :D

Maybe you can show the receipt; CC bill, etc?
Worked for me a year ago.

Can you make a chop yourself??

I showed the receipt too. but the lady refused. I tired to explain to her I bought it from the states and its a legitimate set, just that it isn't stamped. But she just kept ranting about "internet internet, buy from internet cannot. must get local set, no refund, no refund" and after a while I got quite irritated by her ranting and her refusal to listen to me.

I think you are looking for henryp. Perhaps you can send him an email: Henry Posner

Thanks CS, I shall drop him an email! :D

I showed the receipt too. but the lady refused. I tired to explain to her I bought it from the states and its a legitimate set, just that it isn't stamped. But she just kept ranting about "internet internet, buy from internet cannot. must get local set, no refund, no refund" and after a while I got quite irritated by her ranting and her refusal to listen to me.

You should ask to talk to her manager. Sigma has international warranty, there should be no "local set, local set only!" argument.

I agreed with Rashkae, clearly it's said 1 year International warranty. The local Sigma
representative probably trying to make as if it's troublesome for not buying a local set.

Try writing directly to Sigma Japan, explain to them about your issues with the local
representative. Maybe even the lens calibration is free during warranty period.

info@sigma-photo.co.jp

I'm not sure if it will be on the receipt but on the page, below the item name will have either "USA" or "Imported". If it's "imported", it is a grey set and warranty will not be valid. But the page you linked to says "USA", which means the lens comes from Sigma USA and warranty should be honoured. Think you have to check with B&H

I agreed with Rashkae, clearly it's said 1 year International warranty. The local Sigma
representative probably trying to make as if it's troublesome for not buying a local set.

Try writing directly to Sigma Japan, explain to them about your issues with the local
representative. Maybe even the lens calibration is free during warranty period.

info@sigma-photo.co.jp

I doubt Sigma Japan will help me as this is an Issue with B&H issuing a warranty card with no stamp and Sigma Singapore demanding for a stamp. (Actually, Sigma Singapore has the right to demand for the stamp, but IMO they are just trying to cover their backside)

Maybe I should get in touch with Sigma USA instead.

I'm not sure if it will be on the receipt but on the page, below the item name will have either "USA" or "Imported". If it's "imported", it is a grey set and warranty will not be valid. But the page you linked to says "USA", which means the lens comes from Sigma USA and warranty should be honoured. Think you have to check with B&H

The item says USA on the receipt too. So I guess I have it. I guess all I need is wait for B&H to come back from holidays to get it sorted out

SHE is HelenOster

Oh! Another person to contact! Thanks ed1991

Last edited:
I doubt Sigma Japan will help me as this is an Issue with B&H issuing a warranty card with no stamp and Sigma Singapore demanding for a stamp. (Actually, Sigma Singapore has the right to demand for the stamp, but IMO they are just trying to cover their backside)

Maybe I should get in touch with Sigma USA instead.

The item says USA on the receipt too. So I guess I have it. I guess all I need is wait for B&H to come back from holidays to get it sorted out

Oh! Another person to contact! Thanks ed1991
Helen is from Adorama but she can definitely tell you about Sigma lenses' USA/International warranty.