Sigma lens 70-300mmf/4-5.6 APO DG Macro

Status
Not open for further replies.

haffendy

Mar 20, 2006
Hi there! CAn I have some advice on the sigma 70-300mmf/4-5.6 APO DG Macro lens. Is it worth buying it? I'm using Nikon d70s.:embrass:

Not bad for it's price... Unless you don't mind paying for the original Nikon ED version. The non-ED Nikon is not very fantastic...

I'm using the previous non-DG generation on my D70. So far, no complaints for the price I paid, $220 2nd hand. It's also lighter and more compact than the Nikkors ;)

If u come down for kopi this Thu evening, i can let u play ard with it :bsmilie:

I was thinking of getting the nikon 70-300mm G lens.. Izzit good? Or is the sigma 70-300 better?

Good lense for the price. For the range up to 300mm, this is an affordable lense with acceptable quality if not fantastic to some.

Only limitation is at 300mm, if low light, even high ISO susceptible to "handshake". So that is why the usefulness of IS or OS. Cost a lot more. Of cos, if you can put in the extra $$$.

Another is the AF, but still ok for me as it is improved over the old non-digital version, quicker focus & less hunting, just focus on contrast area near the subject if not use manual.

understand & use within the limitation.

If no extra $$$ for the IS/OS, USM FTM, L lense, etc ,etc, go for this sigma & use in "bright" lighting condition, still give u good pics.

So that means if I wan to get a first beginner's zoom lens, the sigma 70-300 will be a better choice than the nikon 70-300(G)?

aaron80 said:
So that means if I wan to get a first beginner's zoom lens, the sigma 70-300 will be a better choice than the nikon 70-300(G)?

Me canon user, some said this sigma is better (think it is sharper) than the canon equivalent.

as for nikon, need a nikon user to answer that.

aaron80 said:

Don't worry too much about the marginal quality difference between the 2 lens. You probably wont be able to tell the difference at this stage of the game. I would personally go for the sigma lens first though. You may want to procure a second hand one to play around with. Get the feel of the lens, and when you are more comfortable, or when you feel that you would like to progress to something better, there is always the Nikon 70-300 f2.8 :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.