Sigma EF-500 Super flash unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by StreetShooter
Bought from CP $18.

studio03.jpg

note that Ruby sells 2 different $35 lightstands. The smaller portable silver one in the pic and a taller and slightly heavier but not very portable 'Advanced Video Products' black one. I chose the black one because portability wasn't important to me.

Is it true that using extension cord will render E-TTL useless for canon camera?
If so, is it more worth to get the 540EZ. Although price of 540EZ and Sigma 500 Super DG are quite close, and that Sigma comes with E-TTL, it does not have AF assist light for the side sensors? Also, you have to disable the E-TTL when using slave, else the pre-flash will activate the slave?

Thought of getting 550EX, very $$$, next Sigma, but not side AF assist.

For the problem face when slaving flash and the side AF assist problem, also the problem with extension cord. Is it worth to even consider to get the 550EX and Sigma??

Pls advice if the problems stated are true. I think the info will help alot of fellow CS to make up their mind. Thanks.

denniskee said:
If so, is it more worth to get the 540EZ. Although price of 540EZ and Sigma 500 Super DG are quite close...

Comparing apples and oranges here i think. The EF500 SDG is built for DSLRs, but the 540EZ isn't i think. My 300D can't use EZ flashes, but can use EX. 550EX is about twice the price of SDG.

OT: wah lau almost 2 year old thread also can dig up

Hi, I am using EOS 50E, hence, can choose between the higher end 550EX or lower 540EZ.

BTW, just went to 3:16 to ask about this, got shocking ans. from the 2 guys in the shop. Was told that 1 poor chap got his EOS camera (may be it a older model) fried due to Sigma 500 Supper DG. If this is true, then evaluate the risk you are under taking when using this flash gun.

Now give up on Sigma flash, but trying to decide on 420EX (simple guy with simple needs lah) needs advice on price and place to get it. Thanks.

If you don't care about warranty or grey set, then check out The Camera Workshop. Otherwise, check out MS Colour in AMK, Alan Photo in Sim Lim. In all cases, bring camera to try out.

Status
Not open for further replies.