Sigma DS-9 D-SLR: Foveon X3 sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by mpenza
It's using a new technology which caputures full color for each pixel. Check it out!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0202/02021104sigmads9.asp

This sounds promising.... BUT! It can only take Sigma lenses. :( And we all know not all Sigma lenses are good, and sample variation is high as well. Probably needs Sigma flashes for TTL as well.

Hopefully there will be a Foveon X3 sensor-based camera with Nikon/Canon/Minolta mounts. Better still, a Foveon digital back for the major SLR cameras. :)

Regards
CK

Sigma is the first. There probably will be others! :) But for US$3000, is was supposed to be quite an afforadable proffesional digital SLR.

Originally posted by mpenza
Sigma is the first. There probably will be others! :) But for US$3000, is was supposed to be quite an afforadable proffesional digital SLR.

US$3000 can almost buy D60 liao... a bit more can get D1H even. :p

Regards
CK

Hi

watever it is, say goodbye to film forever if things work out :)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0202/02021103foveonx3preview.asp

look at those 100% crops, especially the eye!

No i think we will no longer be talking about 35mm film Vs digital if this new technology is wat it claimed it is (and that's a big IF). i think we're possibly looking at digital SLRs encroaching upon medium format territory.........

these are exciting times indeed ;p

Originally posted by ckiang

This sounds promising.... BUT! It can only take Sigma lenses. :( And we all know not all Sigma lenses are good, and sample variation is high as well. Probably needs Sigma flashes for TTL as well.

Hopefully there will be a Foveon X3 sensor-based camera with Nikon/Canon/Minolta mounts. Better still, a Foveon digital back for the major SLR cameras. :)

Regards
CK

Foveon is a chip manufacturer, not a camera maker. As such, it makes sense to license the chip to as many companies as possible.

i believe Canon, Nikon may have actually looked at the sensor already, but may not at this time introduce new DSLRs based on it, pending possibly more r&d work...........

Canon and Nikon don't make their own sensors anyway (except for the CMOS sensor of the D30, which is home grown). It would be easy for them to switch. Kodak has also expressed interest in it according to reports......

It would be much harder to swallow for Sony and Fuji though, to use a chip not designed in-house since they have possibly spent millions on r&d for their own CCDs and SuperCCDs. They will have corporate pride and other human issues to overcome to even think about switching over to a Foveon chip!

Originally posted by Red Dawn

Foveon is a chip manufacturer, not a camera maker. As such, it makes sense to license the chip to as many companies as possible.

i believe Canon, Nikon may have actually looked at the sensor already, but may not at this time introduce new DSLRs based on it, pending possibly more r&d work...........

Canon and Nikon don't make their own sensors anyway (except for the CMOS sensor of the D30, which is home grown). It would be easy for them to switch. Kodak has also expressed interest in it according to reports......

It would be much harder to swallow for Sony and Fuji though, to use a chip not designed in-house since they have possibly spent millions on r&d for their own CCDs and SuperCCDs. They will have corporate pride and other human issues to overcome to even think about switching over to a Foveon chip!

It does look good. No more Bayer-pattern CCD/CMOS where colour information has to be interpolated. :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Red Dawn
Hi

watever it is, say goodbye to film forever if things work out :)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0202/02021103foveonx3preview.asp

look at those 100% crops, especially the eye!

No i think we will no longer be talking about 35mm film Vs digital if this new technology is wat it claimed it is (and that's a big IF). i think we're possibly looking at digital SLRs encroaching upon medium format territory.........

these are exciting times indeed ;p

Hmmm... a 6x7 Foveon Chip will be very interesting.... :D

Regards
CK

There is some speculation on the Canon SLR Talk in DPreview that the D60 might be using the Foveon X3 sensor...

This is very VERY interesting. Foveon are known for making excellent chips, and I've lusted after one of their studio ones for ages.

Depending on how this X3 technology works, the chip on the SD9 should theoretically produce better images than any of the current and announced 6mp cameras out there.

Very, very interesting.

I thought the D60 had 6mp?

Anyway, remember in a post somewhere that I once said I would ideally like to have 6-8 real mp? Well the Foveon indicates this is not so far off after all, it's a pity they only make them in 1.3 and 3.4mp at the moment. The really interesting thing is the cost, because in theory the X3 is as good as a studio MF camera (how it actually performs is anyone's guess). This SD9 could start rendering 20k studio systems a massive expense!

Geez... if the D60 really is going to use this sensor... then I'd better hold back getting the 1D...

yo the trial pics by phil are taken with the foveon back with EF mount what...
anyway like the other DSLRs, if the 1:1 quality is so good then higher megapixels not necessary liao... the sharpness is already there...

Originally posted by willyfoo
Geez... if the D60 really is going to use this sensor... then I'd better hold back getting the 1D...

Hi willy,

none of the D60 talk is the Canon SLR talk forum is really confirmed. NONE. Nobody knows for sure until Canon makes the official announcement during PMA (or earlier)......

don't make purchasing decisions based on rumours!

I don't think it's really so much an issue of that, but as of opportunity cost. If the 1D is going to do what you want it to do, and it's going to make you money now, then you need to go for it.

I'm surprised that originally with a 6mp chip vs. a 4mp chip you decided to go for the 1D, but with the Foveon chip you would go with the D60. From your original decision it sounded like speed of operation, durability and overal photographic performance were what you were looking for, Willy. What does the Foveon chip change that in the least?

The bottom line as I said is that if the 1D will do the job, then go for it. If a D60 can't do the job, then don't go for it. They are a completely different class of camera. The imaging chip is a marginal factor given the relative positions of the pixel counts at the moment.

and if none of them can do the job, if job it is, get two 1Vs loaded at the same time... otherwise it's just gadget lust...

Status
Not open for further replies.